Print Thread
#369950 01/26/08 01:40 AM
P
patd Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
P
Ok, the Garth Brooks fundraiser for the LA Fireman is on as i write this and i am shocked at his voice. Now, i *do* have a cold coming on so m/b it's my hearing but short of that i am stunned at how off key he is. It's hard to listen to. Anyone else experience this---i just need a little reality check, even if i'm nuts!

pat d

Sponsored Post Advertisement
patd #369964 01/26/08 02:47 AM
Shark
Shark
I have to agree. I finally had to change the channel, the man couldn't hit the right note, IMO, to save his life. I wonder how much of it is because he isn't singing as much as he used to or if we just have rosy memories of his performances. Seems like I remember seeing him once before he became a big mega star and he sounded so much better than he did tonight.

I applaud the cause he was trying to help raise money for, but he needs to seriously reevaluate his "retirement" if he plans on singing again in the future. A voice coach would be a good thing if tonight was an indication of whats to come from him.

P
patd Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
P
Wow, thanks for the validation, Kathy. I wasn't watching alone or i would have changed the channel myself! It was extremely painful to listen to. And what's really interesting is his affect (emotion) and "stage presence" which were incredible, as if nothing was wrong. I know that was the "professional" way to be but it had the feeling some people sometimes call "schizophrenic" because it's "two things at once that really don't belong together" (as in the *real* sound and the "show/look" he was projecting).

My partner also suggested that m/b he was rusty since he'd been in retirement but that seems really bizarre to me. That would imply that neither he nor his professional singer wife realized how bad he is. That just doesn't seem possible. But then i guess the other option is that he just really wanted to support the firefighters and decided to do the show in spite of it. I think i read that he will be doing more (untelevised) shows, so it will be interesting to see if anything surfaces in the media about it as this goes on. I mean, i'd like to believe he really will improve even though i don't personally think that is the issue. I just believe that as much as he recorded and performed before he would have worked til he improved fairly easily before performing again. (I was so surprised that i looked up his age
[45 BD: 2/7/62] to see if he was older than he looks at it might just be age.)

patd #377813 02/20/08 03:29 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
I am going to demo a duet I wrote and pitch it to Garth and Trisha.

Jim Colyer #382807 02/28/08 03:22 AM
P
patd Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
P
Well, good luck, Jim! Let us know how it goes and what you think.

pat d

patd #474985 12/11/08 07:55 PM
D
D
While Brooks may be a bit rusty in the vocal department today, I do have immense respect for him for walking away from it all at the peak of his career....because this was no longer a priority in his life. Too often artists....sports stars....and other professionals hang on long after the passion is gone! I still listen to Garth Brooks' stuff often, and I think he was one of the greatest country music artists of our times.

Shark
Shark
Don't get me wrong, I still listen to his music too. I just wasn't impressed with his performance during the show. I too have respect for someone that can walk away when he knows he has higher priorities at the time. I just hope, if/when he makes a comeback that he works with a vocal coach to get his voice back into shape for live performances. Voices change as we age, not just during puberty, and he sounded like he needed some help at that point.

patd #483346 01/08/09 06:42 PM
W
W
Wow, I have not heard Garth for years, need to pick up his latest album :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.