logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Gecko
Gecko
Nothing cleans linoleum like white vinegar! The smell is tough, but leaves quickly enough and the thought of not adding more chemicals to the environment in my cleaning products appeals to me. I clean my kitchen counter tops with orange oil from time to time to enjoy the smell that spreads through the entire house. It's yummy and inexpensive, but I'm not sure how environmentally friendly it is or is not...anybody know the chemical make up of it?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
V
Amoeba
Amoeba
V
I have well water. Well was drilled into limestone bluff. Needless to say there is heavy lime deposits left on everything. Dishes especially glassware gets a cloudy film when run through the dishwasher. I use straight vinegar added to the dishwasher right before the rinse cycle about once a week. Everything comes out sparkling clean. I also clean the bathroom tub, sink and shower with vinegar. It's the only thing I've found to cut through the lime quickly and easily. I like that it has no added chemicals too!

You might be careful using vinegar with some metals. The acid in the vinegar can eat through the metal. I've had no problem with stainless steel though.

I also used to work at a Sonic Drive-In long, long ago. We used a mixture of vinegar and water back then to cut through the grease on the counter tops and wash the windows. Worked great!

Gecko
Gecko
Here is some info from Wikpedia.com on orange oil

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: Valerie Shoopman
I have well water. Well was drilled into limestone bluff. Needless to say there is heavy lime deposits left on everything. Dishes especially glassware gets a cloudy film when run through the dishwasher. I use straight vinegar added to the dishwasher right before the rinse cycle about once a week. Everything comes out sparkling clean. I also clean the bathroom tub, sink and shower with vinegar. It's the only thing I've found to cut through the lime quickly and easily. I like that it has no added chemicals too!

You might be careful using vinegar with some metals. The acid in the vinegar can eat through the metal. I've had no problem with stainless steel though.

I also used to work at a Sonic Drive-In long, long ago. We used a mixture of vinegar and water back then to cut through the grease on the counter tops and wash the windows. Worked great!

Some people who have heavy lime or other minerals in their water swear by using a few tiny pebbles in their tea ketters. Have you tried this?

And Sue, thanks for posting the Wikipedia link!

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Thanks for the link, Sue. I haven't paid that much attention to whether or not I wear gloves when I use orange oil, but it might be a good idea even if I'm not a male rat! LOL

msbaby #369822 01/25/08 05:02 PM
Gecko
Gecko
hee hee - I like the smell of orange oil too. i wonder why it doesn't seem to affect female rats? weird.

Gecko
Gecko
The reasons given had to do with the reaction of something in the oil with something that male mice have that female mice don't. How's that for complete over-simplification? I was amazed that I actually found something that had more of a negative for males of any species over females! I have nothing to worry about as my DH isn't the counter cleaning sort! Dishwasher loading, maybe....but the countertops don't seem to fall in his line of vision.

msbaby #413011 04/30/08 02:50 AM
E
Koala
Koala
E
How does lemon juice compare to vinegar as a cleaner? We have a lemon tree in our garden, usually with tons of lemons that we hardly use. I use them on the pots, and once tried cleaning mould off the shower with lemon juice, but that's about it...

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #413073 04/30/08 10:02 AM
Shark
Shark
Lemon juice is pretty good, too. I've used lemons cut in half, dipped in salt to do some tough scrubbing jobs. Seems to work well. Plus it gets rid of funky smells. If you do not like the smell of vinegar, lemons are a great substitute.

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
E
Koala
Koala
E
Of course - I forgot that one with the lemon and salt: that's absolute magic on anything copper. My parents used to have copper-bottomed pots and I became an expert at getting those gleaming pink.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.