Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#289900 01/29/07 06:22 PM
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Is it safe to say that vinegar can be used on almost anything when you are cleaning? I have a kitchen table that never looks or feels clean. It looks like marble but I"m almost positive it's just the fake stuff. Would white vinegar work for that? Also, do you use it alone or mix it with water (how much)? Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
When I got my pine floors refinished, they told me to clean them with 1 part vinegar to 3 or 4 parts water. I've used that on lots of other surfaces around the house with no problem.

I'd probably use Bon Aime on the table though.

Julie

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I have used white vinegar on everything.

1/2 to 1/2 for stronger cleaning or 1/4 to 3/4 for general cleaning. I have never had it destroy any surface and I have used it on everything.

It is great at cutting odors, toothpaste, and grease.

Have a blessed day-

Erika Lyn Smith
BellaOnline's Missing & Exploited Children Editor
Missing & Exploited Children Site
BellaOnline's Child Abuse Editor
Child Abuse Site
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Well I bought some white vinegar and used it (mixed with water in a spray bottle) to clean part of my washer. I don't like the smell at all. I'm afraid to clean anything else with it because of the smell. Should I add more water? What's the proper mixture ratio? Thanks!

M
M
If you would like to you can alter the scent of vinegar to a more pleasant scent by adding a couple drops of your favorite essential oil to the vinegar.

If you are not sure if your table top is marble I would recommend not allowing vinegar to "stand" on the table top as it is a weak acid. You can use vinegar to clean, just make sure to rinse it and dry it after so as to not allow it to stand

Last edited by maid2order; 02/09/07 08:32 PM.

Theresa
Quality cleaning Maid to Order House cleaning
www.maid2order-housecleaning.com
Independent cleaners purchasing alliance
www.independent-alliances.com
M
M
White vinegar does have a small odour which soon disappears. Don't let this put you off using it though. It is useful for everything from removing limescale to treating stains on upholstery and fabrics. Dri-pak, based in UK, produce this product in a trigger spray and it has revolutionised my life.

J
Koala
Koala
J
I mix white vinegar with water and spray it on my carpets to freshen them up. The vinegar smell soon goes away and it has never hurt the carpet.

I read that this is a great way to get rid of odors from pets, etc in carpet.

Also, if you put a small dish of white vinegar in a room, it will take any odors out of the air as well.

joanj #352249 11/04/07 03:17 PM
Gecko
Gecko
I have learned to tolerate the smell of vinegar because NOTHING cleans pet stains, odors, etc. as well. We use it to clean our rabbit litterboxes - it keeps them in like-new condition. I also use it to clean up accidents on vinyl and wood flooring and carpeting. It takes the stains right out and eliminates the odor so the critters don't return to the same spot.

Tbunny #352307 11/04/07 09:08 PM
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
I'm allergic to Yellow #5, which is anything that is yellow or orange and sometimes green and blue as well.

I have been using vinegar in just about everything. I put it in the water when I steam the carpets. I wouldn't do this to an antique area rug, over the years the acid could break something like that down. Has anyone pulled out the washing machine to find that soap has spilled? It cleans up rather well with water and vinegar. I have even put it in the wash water when dye has run on to something.

Vinegar breaks down soap and other deposits. I learned this when I lived in an area that had VERY soft water. I was unable to get the conditioner and mouse out of my hair. I was told by a hair dressor to rinse my hair once a week with a weak solution of vinegar and water.

I also use scented oils in the water when I use the carpet cleaner.

Shark
Shark
If you really hate the smell of vinegar, you can use orange oil to help get rid of the scent. I have mixed a few drops of orange oil into a spray bottle of warm water, then spritzed it over the surfaces I washed with vinegar/water.

You can also try boiling a pot of water with spices in it to get rid of the smell. Vinegar usally dissapates in a short time, though.

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.