Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Cookiecody
It sounds like she enjoys bragging about her size, which isn't really Nice, as it can have the effect of making other people feel she is demeaning them for not being a size zero. I just think the size zero post-pregnancy woman is the rarity, not the norm. Cindy

She's totally the rarity. Yeah, she's always been that way. Someone like that doesn't get it. She's never struggled with her weight, and she doesn't know that even under the most ideal conditions, most people are not naturally a size 0. I have sat alongside her and ate next to nothing, while she eats like a cow. I think she's insecure because she always had really bad skin.

Anyway, yeah, most of the women I know that have had kids go up a few sizes. I know it must be harder to lose weight once the kids come along. There isn't a lot of time to exercise, and once you start getting older, changing your diet alone usually doesn't work. You usually have to exercise. And I think something happens to a woman's metabolism, too, once she has kids. I can see the parent finishing the kid's plate b/c kids seem to rarely "clean their plate" and often waste food.

This same friend told me that she was ripped from front to back when she had her first baby. I'm sure it was because she was so tiny. And my sister got horrible stretch marks on her stomach, and she had my nephew almost 8 years ago, and it still looks really bad. I've also seen a lot of women end up with a pouch that seems to stick around.

Chasing kids isn't aerobic activity. I know it wouldn't have any impact on my weight, but it would impact my mental health!

Save your own life - don't have kids!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
My brother in law has recently lost a lot of weight since they had baby #2 who is almost a year old. Babies are 16 mo. apart. My sister is also down to her pre- pregnancy weight.

They credit it to eating with the kids. Mealtime is fast, and when the kids are finished, they are finished and it's full-on bathtime-bedtime routine. After that no more eating for the adults. I'm sure they are just exhaused and lost interest in eating.

I would HATE that. I really enjoy nice dinners with my husband. We have a beautifully set table, all the food on the table in serving pieces in the dining room (not every night, but when I cook, we have a lovey dinner- about 2-3 times a week.)

Dinner is the best part of the day.

And BTW I hate to throw away food, but can't imaging eating the picked over leftovers from a toddler. YUCK.

Gecko
Gecko
I am lucky that I usually get the OPPOSITE of that! I get told I've lost weight - true! - and how did I do it? And I say and then they'll say "Oh but it's easier for you, you never had kids."
Said a bit wistfully in a way!
And my colleague who was a chef and is a great cook said to me yesterday she has to pop things in from the freezer for dinner now cos the kids have after school activities EVERY NIGHT!!
OK, now moi? I HATE cooking!
My husband cooks but if I was on my own I would probably be relying on the freezer and microwave meals. BUT
she was a chef and the ONLY reason she changed that was because of the kids AND she
has said she loves to cook.
Sad she no longer has the time!
What else?
I am

the opposite of short stuff. Probably the same two sizes but I am one size bigger on the bottom than on the top. Have a great waist though!
Now, I have heard that if I had a baby my waist would probably go. Plus I've battled my weight on and off for a lot of my life NOT gonna make it WORSE!
AND babies can make your hips bigger and your butt I think and I have ENOUGH of THAT probably glad I don't have to accentuate it by having a baby! (or three!)
Even
the colleague with a lovely figure said she today she is doing lots and lots of crunchies cos having
babies made her flat stomache not flat anymore.
Youngest is about four now, I think.
Having said that I think I'm gonna start doing crunchies too!

I leave the child-rearing to people who feel called to it. I've never felt that call.
L
Koala
Koala
L
Originally Posted By: Athena_Marina
I am lucky that I usually get the OPPOSITE of that! I get told I've lost weight - true! - and how did I do it? And I say and then they'll say "Oh but it's easier for you, you never had kids."
Said a bit wistfully in a way!

Do comments like that ever make you feel BAD for NOT having kids? Like you want to reassure them and put yourself down, instead of agreeing? I don't know. Sometimes I feel like I need to defend myself or put myself down to make THEM feel better.

Parakeet
Parakeet
My extra weight was put on after an injury that seriously slowed me down for a couple of years, as I've said here before. I'm very slowly dropping it, though, because I'm as active as this messed up knee will let me be.

I would be forced into virtual bed rest early in pregnancy if I ever got knocked up. My bad knee couldn't handle that much extra weight. Hmm, sitting on my butt for 5 or 6 months? Sounds a little fattening, based on my previous experience!

The funny thing is, I'm still the smallest (in height and width) woman in my family, despite being big boned, a bit too muscular, and gimpy. But I'm also the only CF woman in the family. You do the math.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
M.B. #367057 01/16/08 06:18 PM
B
Shark
Shark
B
She might not have meant anything by it. I've always been on the small side myself and have had many people get oddly confrontational about my weight, especially if they see me eat. I try to change the subject ASAP, usually mentioning that a lot of my work is physically demanding (which it is!). It's not a comfortable subject, as I'm very aware that other people have difficulty in this area and I don't want to rub it in.

M.B. #367207 01/17/08 11:38 AM
K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
Originally Posted By: myrabeth
My extra weight was put on after an injury that seriously slowed me down for a couple of years, as I've said here before. I'm very slowly dropping it, though, because I'm as active as this messed up knee will let me be.

The funny thing is, I'm still the smallest (in height and width) woman in my family, despite being big boned, a bit too muscular, and gimpy. But I'm also the only CF woman in the family. You do the math.

myrabeth, what did you do to your knee? Sounds pretty dang painful!

I'm so sure that having kids would make you lose weight. The only mothers I've seen that are "trophy wives" are the ones that belong to rich gyms and have nannies watch their kids while they do 4 hours of spinning whilst eating cavier and watercrest salads.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I'll skip the gory details for now, 'cause I doubt anyone really wants to read all of that. I'll just say that part of my left knee cap is "no longer with us" and I have arthritis. This happened when I was at the ripe old age of 21, with a manual labor job, so you can imagine what an impact it had on me. As I've said, I limped for 2 years. Now the limp only shows when I'm very tired or have over exerted that joint (or popped the knee cap out of position). The knee still gives out on me occasionally (again, mostly when I'm tired).

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
Having kids apparently slows the metabolism (I can't remember where I read that). Mine is slow enough already, thank you!

L
Koala
Koala
L
EW myra!!! EW!!! You should have given us the details because now I'm imagining all kinds of icky things!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.