Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#366881 01/16/08 02:41 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
I don't know what made me think of this tonight, but I have to share...

I recently got back in touch with a friend from high school. She is actually very cool about my CF stance, and I don't detect any tension despite the fact that she has two little ones. This friend has always been a size zero. It's hereditary, her Mom and brothers are all really tiny people. I was never fat growing up, like a size 4. But let's face it, a size 4 is not a zero. And she would always talk about how fat certain people are that were actually average sized people. I went through a phase as a teen when I ate next to nothing, and the smallest I've ever been is a 4. I'm just not built that tiny.

Anyway, I'm now 36, and I'm technically a size 6, but stuff is starting to get a little tight and I'm starting to put on weight in odd places, like my back? Time to get more serious about exercising, I know. So my husband met my old friend, and I was telling him how she's always been a zero. I was complimenting her, you know. And she said something like "it's from chasing the kids around all day." or "you should chase these kids around all day." But I think she said I would be a zero too if I was chasing kids around all day. But I so wouldn't. She wasn't calling me fat, and I know I'm not fat, although I definitely need to start exercising regularly.

It felt like a bingo but I don't know if it counts technically. Anyone else hear this one, or something similar? I don't know if I'm being too sensitive, but it just felt like another one of those comments.

Save your own life - don't have kids!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
I think if it feels like a bingo then it is one. The whole idea of a bingo being something that makes the childfree person uncomfortable or something that's downright rude.

I have no clue what a size 6 is, over here in Australia I'm a size 16 on top and 14 on bottom. Aside from surgery I'll never be less than a 14 on top even when my ribs stick out thanks to a rather large chest. I dread to think what would happen to *that* if I had kids, it's already too big by far! I have also been told I'd lose weight running after kids... oddly enough by a woman who never lost the 3 dress sizes gained after pregnancy. Needless to say I didn't see that as much of a bingo!

Gecko
Gecko
Yeah, I heard that one too by a rather uncouth wife of a guy I used to work with. And I can see how you could view that comment as a bingo (a parent throwing out a reason to have kids at a CF person)...it's like saying, "If you had kids, you could easily keep weight off, too!"

"Men and women think that it is necessary to have children. It is not. It is their animal nature and social custom, rather than reason, which makes them believe that this is a necessity." --Democritus
Parakeet
Parakeet
Not trying to be mean, but how does that explain all of the women who tend to keep their pregnancy weight even after they have the baby? Lots of women have trouble losing weight after a baby, then as the kid is into toddlerhood, a lot of moms will finish a meal the kid didn't finish, as well as her own, and I've heard that's a major problem contributing to the weight gain. Often women become less active after kids, especially if they don't make an effort to exercise when the baby is born and it's easier to stay home and look after baby. If the size zero woman was accurate, all moms would be size zeroes! Different people have different metabolisms and activity levels.

Cindy

Originally Posted By: Angela P
Yeah, I heard that one too by a rather uncouth wife of a guy I used to work with. And I can see how you could view that comment as a bingo (a parent throwing out a reason to have kids at a CF person)...it's like saying, "If you had kids, you could easily keep weight off, too!"

Gecko
Gecko
Eh, I was just giving validity to happytobechildfree, not the size zero woman.

That woman, as Happy said, probably has a killer metabolism, as do so many other tiny women I know. They are the ones we love to hate -- the ones who can eat anything they want at any time of the day and still never gain a pound. On the other hand, I can fluctuate up to four pounds in a single day (mostly due to dehydration and rehydration).

BTW Cookie -- I never heard that a major contribution to mothers gaining weight comes from their finishing off their kids' plates. *giggle* Reminds me of people who look across the table at someone else and ask, "You done with that?"

"Men and women think that it is necessary to have children. It is not. It is their animal nature and social custom, rather than reason, which makes them believe that this is a necessity." --Democritus
Parakeet
Parakeet
Oh, I know you weren't validating the size zero woman. It sounds like she enjoys bragging about her size, which isn't really Nice, as it can have the effect of making other people feel she is demeaning them for not being a size zero. I just think the size zero post-pregnancy woman is the rarity, not the norm.

A few years ago, I was selling my 1996 Mustang, and a woman who had seven kids ended up buying it as her "fun" car (the family had a 12 passenger van to cart the family around). She was tiny! My mom asked her "Did you have all those kids YOURSELF?" (She didn't bring the kids with her to pick up the car, fortunately!)

Cindy

Originally Posted By: Angela P
Eh, I was just giving validity to happytobechildfree, not the size zero woman.

That woman, as Happy said, probably has a killer metabolism, as do so many other tiny women I know. They are the ones we love to hate -- the ones who can eat anything they want at any time of the day and still never gain a pound. On the other hand, I can fluctuate up to four pounds in a single day (mostly due to dehydration and rehydration).

BTW Cookie -- I never heard that a major contribution to mothers gaining weight comes from their finishing off their kids' plates. *giggle* Reminds me of people who look across the table at someone else and ask, "You done with that?"

K
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
K
Being a size 0 is a pretty ridiculous goal for most women and wouldn't be healthy anyway!! I am always irritated by people who obsess about weight -- their own and other people's.

I have to say that most of the women I know who have had kids weigh more now than they did before! The reasons are probably many and varied. Sometimes the weight gain from pregnancy just doesn't come off that easily.

But, ladies, that is something WE'LL never have to deal with!! :-)

Kim
MNK Editor

Last edited by kimkenney; 01/16/08 11:52 AM.

Kim Kenney
BellaOnline Museums Editor
My Museum Ebooks

"Seek those who find your road agreeable, your personality and mind stimulating, your philosophy acceptable, and your experiences helpful. Let those who do not, seek their own kind." -Jean-Henri Fabre
Gecko
Gecko
Agreed. And also something we'll never have to deal with is the stretched skin. I don't care if they're a size zero, if they can fit in Barbie jeans - whatever - many of them have belly skin that sags/wrinkles that will only "improve" with age.

Heck, I never even had kids, and I'm a size 5...at 36, lemme tell ya, your stomach, even when toned with crunches, isn't as taught with elasticity as it was at age 25! Trying the best I can to keep it youthful and tight, but I can't imagine how icky it would look if that same skin would have looked now...and at age 40...if it had been stretched. I even know a woman at my former job who, at age 31 and a size zero, who had a tummy tuck because of that saggy belly (preggers) skin.

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
At the risk of sounding mean, that stretchy belly skin would bother me and I wouldn't blame my husband for being turned off.

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
I agree BillieCat. It would feel very sad, but I wouldn't blame my husband either. But even if we don't have kids, both of us will develop sags. wrinkles, and strange growths as we age either way.

Size 0??? That seems very extreme to me. I'm not fat, but am tall and not petite.

I have heard that bingo!! My next door neighbor said it to me, but I took it more about herself, and didn't take it too personally that she was saying I should have kids to lose weight. It didn't come out quite that badly. But, it did stick in my brain, so I see what you mean. I wondered about it because I didn't buy it! The woman saying it wasn't any skinnier than me, and larger actually. She's about 10 yrs. older than me though. So, I think I remembered it because I kind of thought, "Yeah right, actually maybe it's not working as well as you think." (I know, that's mean, and I'm not saying I'm perfect in any way shape or form, or superior to her...I have to work at it too).

Anyway, I read an article pretty recently about a study that said that parents statistically weigh more than non-parents overall, and it's partly because they finish the meals, and also because they tend to have more junk food and snacks around, and since their kids eat more often, it influences the parents to snack more. It was also because it was harder for them to fit in regular exercise.

I can totally see that happening to me!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 06/03/24 07:29 PM
Trailer for "Limbo" Starring Simon Baker
by Angie - 06/02/24 09:09 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 06/01/24 11:03 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 06/01/24 08:53 AM
Bandana Essentials
by Angie - 05/30/24 08:26 PM
French Open Tennis Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 05/30/24 01:20 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/29/24 05:24 PM
Outside the Box Sewing
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/25/24 12:37 PM
Fabric Flowers for Spring
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/15/24 10:40 PM
Review - Animated Illustrations by Jamie Bartlett
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/14/24 02:52 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.