Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jt1314 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
what do you think?

1)should same sex couples be allowed to adopt children?

2) should same sex marriages be legalized?

vote here atBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Absolutely same sex couples should be allowed to adopt.

They should be given the SAME right to marry as well.

Saying any different is saying they are LESS then human.

L
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
L
With regards to 1);

I believe that serving the best interest of the child takes precedent over any social and/or political correctness. There are decided social constructs that would concern me - the child's exposure to undue harassment and prejudice and the proven commitment of the couple involved as opposed to some trendy thing that all of the other gays are doing - those sorts of things.

Do not bother flaming me for the trendy comment. People are eternally subject to social morays and trends towards the cute, irrespective of their sexual persuasions, truth. That's the sort of thing you have to protect baby chicks against on Easter, lest you think me exaggerating.

Having said, I've always found it extremely ironic that you have to have a license to fish, but absolutely anyone can have a child. There are scores of unfit and dysfunctional people out there procreating, and that doesn't make me happy, either.

Where it's simply a question of love and integrity, it would be insulting to assume that sexual persuasion has anything at all to do with that.

As regards 2);

Whatever is consensual between two adults is their business and theirs alone. I'm never sure what the argument is - marriage is a /legal/ institution. Fundamentalists may argue that it is sacred, but the very act of it needing to be legalized in the first place throws the argument out the window.

It's more of a business partnership than anything. Churches that do not ascribe to its sanctity simply do not have to participate in any ceremony, nuff said.

We could argue whether it's moral, but there again - I am not a 'legalize morality' sort of wench.

Lisbeth Cheever-Gessaman
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
I assume you are aware that the divorce rate among heterosexual couples is higher then that of Gay couples in the states where their union is allowed? In my opinion children are better off in a two parent household, statistics show that is MORE likely to happen in a gay family.

Statistics also show that when children are molested, its by heterosexual parents, not gay ones.

By using this excuse, that children will get LESS harassment in a heterosexual family, you are allowing MORE discrimination to be heaped on a group for no real reason. Until the good ole USofA pulls its head out of the Victorian period and accepts Gay and Lesbian couples for real live human beings with needs, wants, emotions and yes EVEN RIGHTS, this country is going to struggle.

What shocks me is how unashamed people seem to be to express their prejudice.

L
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
L
I'm not comfotably familiar enough with which states allow legal union of Gay marriages, but confident that the data at best is very recent as only within the last twenty years or thereabouts has it even become socially acceptable to admit to being an actual couple, whereas divorce statistics predate back as far as one cares to look. Curious though - where are your statistics coming from?

I never voiced a concern as to whether molestation would be more prevalent, but again - the scarcity of gay couples as compared to heterosexual ones with children would make me question averages. Your argument seems to be that Gay people are more responsble in some way than heterosexual ones which I find flawed - people are people. Why would sexual orientation play into any inherent responsibility factors?

And my concern as stated is not an 'excuse'. That's terribly overbroad and assumptive. It's a concern which has nothing at all to do with any ascribed morality, just a personal point of reference which being human, I am entitled to regardless of who likes it or not. Which is inevitably the point of forums such as these - to engender discussion of pivotal issues where we all can learn and benefit one from another, without prejudice and with some modicum of kindredness and respect.

As an aside: I'm a strong advocate for Gay rights and abhor any perspective that seeks to intrude upon the liberties of consenting adults, period. The rights of children are an entirely different matter when it comes to lifestyle choices - and yes, where it's only a question of love and commitment, I see no reason why Gay people should be treated any differently than any other couple seeking to adopt. But to base credibility and/or commitment upon sexual orientation to me is in itself flawed at best. They are no more special than heterosexual couples or less, simply oriented different sexually. It's just that simple.

Lisbeth Cheever-Gessaman
Yes, I believe gay couples should be allowed to adopt a child or children, provided they meet the standards of a safe and loving household.

View my store @ BigBeautifulButterfly.
Gecko
Gecko
There are too many children stuck in foster care. If a couple meets all the standard requirements for adoption, then how could that child NOT be better off? Every family has it's issues. Though I agree that a child with same sex parents may be a target for harassment, the same can be said for any child with a biracial or ethnically unique family. A child with a different appearance, religion, or name may be a victim of teasing as well. That's not a strong enough reason to keep a loving couple from adopting.

The single sex couples I happen to know who have children are fantastic parents.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
IMO a child needs a mother and father to thrive. That said, I believe that children available for adoption should be placed with eligible heterosexual couples. If these are not available, however, then I believe an eligible same sex couple should be considered. Last in line should be eligible single people, regardless of their sexual orientation.

No matter what the makeup of the home, it is my most fervent belief that the red tape which shackles children to horrid birth parents who have no interest in reclaiming the parent-child relationship (and which keeps the kids in foster care indefinitely) should be severed a lot sooner and a lot more decisively; similarly, I believe that the steep price tag attached to an adoption needs to be reduced to make it affordable for more couples.

With respect to marriage: I believe that gay marriage should only be legalized if polygamist marriage (in all its incarnations) is given legal status as well.

L
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
L
Originally Posted By: Sylvia - Civil Rights Host

With respect to marriage: I believe that gay marriage should only be legalized if polygamist marriage (in all its incarnations) is given legal status as well.

An excellent point.

Lisbeth Cheever-Gessaman
Gecko
Gecko
I believe if the child will be cared for properly, loved, and protected anyone should be allowed to adopt. There are many heterosexual couples who should not be parents. There are people with a lot of money who could provide for a child, it doesn't mean they should, unless they are willing to give the child the time and love that it takes.

There are so many children in the "system" who are not being properly cared for, that it makes me crazy to think that there could be loving parents out there somewhere, but society does not want to allow it. Simply ridiculous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andria B - Human Rights 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.