Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Parakeet
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Skeptic
Hi Duane,

I do know what you mean when you say "negative" term atheist. But it still hurts smile and I must defend it. The other terms rationalist and freethinker can apply to much more than a god. For example it is not likely that a rationalist believes in god, ghosts, big foot or psychics. But atheist covers pretty much just the god. So when discussing god I think atheist is the best word to use. None the less i am picking nits here.

Point taken. It would be nice if there was a positive term for non-$deity belief, but the language hasn't quite evolved for that. So for now, Atheist will have to do, and is easily understood by most.

Quote:
As for you mention that you were a non-believer from the age of seven, let me also point out that you were a non-believer at some point prior to that also. You were born a non-believer as is everyone. We are all atheists at birth because atheism is simply the lack of a god belief, which none of us has until we are told to believe it...

I stand corrected. Pick nits at will smile

I never had belief in any $deity before (i.e. I was a blank slate), and yes, no one does until they are taught such a belief from others. I'll make a mental note of that for any future times if/when I decide to speak about such things.

Human beings, especially children, are naturally curious about the world and the unknown. I can most definitely accept that atheism (lack of a god belief) is the default state of a child. I just feel uncomfortable when children are given the stock answer "God is responsible for everything and knows everything." I recall being 6-7 and feeling creepy that this God thing was watching me go to the bathroom, etc. I guess that is what started me trying to find out, for my own privacy's sake, where is this being that supposedly sees/knows all. I wanna know! And I never did find out proof to my satisfaction. So, technically, you could say that I went from atheism, to skepticism, then returned back to atheism during my youth as I questioned. My POV remains atheistic to this day.

Once again, I'll file these nit-picking points away for future use. Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Modesty as an avenue to leaving religion -- hmm.... ;-)

L
Koala
Koala
L
I guess I "want" to believe in things, like the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot, etc. I want to believe in God, but I don't. I never sat down and thought that since there is no proof, there is no God. I guess even when I was a kid I figured that if there was a God, he probably didn't interfere in our lives as much as everyone thinks (miracles, answering prayers, etc.) Why should I rely on a god to change my life? I'll change it myself!

No, I don't believe in God. I don't have a concrete reason. I guess it's just not logical (I hate that word, BTW, because faith is not SUPPOSED to be logical.) I've read the Bible, I went to church, I went to confirmation classes for two years. And I guess it's not that I never saw proof that there was God, but that the Bible doesn't make sense.

My husband is totally a deductive atheist. He says, where's the proof? And if there's no proof, then there is no God.

Personally, I think that polytheism, like the Greek gods, makes more sense than any monotheistic religion. Wicca makes more sense, too. If I had to choose a religion to practice, I would probably choose Wicca.

But, I don't feel lonely, I don't feel like there is something "missing" from my life. I treat others well (most of the time) and expect to be treated the same.

That being said, I don't disrespect people who are religious, unless you're totally over the top. That I can't stand from any religion. I also don't like the people who use religion for an excuse, like going to war.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Quote:
I've read the Bible, I went to church, I went to confirmation classes for two years. And I guess it's not that I never saw proof that there was God, but that the Bible doesn't make sense.

I wanted to believe in God early, because it seemed easier. However, the logical side of me took over, so I used my lack of finding reasoning with the religious side of things as my final judgment tool. I really didn't study the Bible, per se, in my youth -- my Biblical readings as an adult (because I wanted to see what was really in there -- I didn't go there to be converted) reinforced my views.

Quote:
My husband is totally a deductive atheist. He says, where's the proof? And if there's no proof, then there is no God.

Atheism requires thinking -- a lot of it. It requires logical analysis, putting two plus two together to make four, when in the religious sense, two plus two makes pi. That is why I am not really surprised to see a good number of CF people as atheists. CF decision making requires very logical thought processes, thinking about how the decisions of today affect the future. IMO, the same processes apply for people who question the religious authority and become agnostics/atheists.

Quote:
But, I don't feel lonely, I don't feel like there is something "missing" from my life. I treat others well (most of the time) and expect to be treated the same.

I don't feel like anything is missing either. Plus, I did not need a church to be told that if I am nice to others, others just maybe, possibly, might want to be nice back.

Overzealous people don't deserve respect, IMO.

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
I would LOVE to believe in some of these things, like the dead can communicate with the living. I just have never see any evidence of it. If someone could show me some, then I would be prepared to change my mind.

I wish there was a Santa Clause and Fairys in the garden and God the great manipulator controlling all we do, I just don't see any evidence of it. As I tell people who try to force their religion on me, invite Jesus over for dinner and get him to do some tricks and maybe I will change my mind.

Parakeet
Parakeet
The phrase I use is "proof is in the pudding." For me, I know that I am such a doubter that even if Jesus came and, as you say, "did some tricks", I would still be a doubter. My standard of belief is so high, because the claims that go with religion (the existence of an after-life is a prime example) that I'm beyond convincing.

However, I actually do believe in the existence of ghosts of people still remaining on this earth and making their presence known to the living. I have not had any paranormal experiences, so I don't have that to fall back on. My difference between religion and the paranormal, I think, is that there are more believable physical manifestations that can be experienced from paranormal experiences than from religious events. In addition, ghosts or other spiritual entities don't require you to worship them. It seems more plausible, with more people having experienced such events in the here and now, than religious events.

The ultimate would be if I were to actually encounter the cold spots, the creepy feelings, the touches where no one is around, or the heavy breathing sounds or translucent images of things that have little to no real world explanation. I don't know if I am ready for that myself.

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Originally Posted By: Duane_Va
The phrase I use is "proof is in the pudding." For me, I know that I am such a doubter that even if Jesus came and, as you say, "did some tricks", I would still be a doubter. My standard of belief is so high, because the claims that go with religion (the existence of an after-life is a prime example) that I'm beyond convincing.

However, I actually do believe in the existence of ghosts of people still remaining on this earth and making their presence known to the living. I have not had any paranormal experiences, so I don't have that to fall back on. My difference between religion and the paranormal, I think, is that there are more believable physical manifestations that can be experienced from paranormal experiences than from religious events. In addition, ghosts or other spiritual entities don't require you to worship them. It seems more plausible, with more people having experienced such events in the here and now, than religious events.

The ultimate would be if I were to actually encounter the cold spots, the creepy feelings, the touches where no one is around, or the heavy breathing sounds or translucent images of things that have little to no real world explanation. I don't know if I am ready for that myself.

I have to agree with you there, I think its FAR more likely that the dead can communicate with us but its something where I would have to have a loved one of mine communicate with me before I would really embrace it for truth.

My invitation for Jesus to come over and do some tricks is more to shut up the bible beaters then a real perdiction that I would change my mind if he did.

Anytime when someone in my life tries to convince me of something UNLIKELY and I feel they have something to gain from it, I am skeptical.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I'm naturally skeptical about things, so we most definitely think alike. Whatever works for you is good... it works for me too smile

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Duane, did you actually say that you believe in ghosts in one post and that you are naturally skeptical in the next? I am having a hard time finding the skepticism here. Might I suggest a little James Randi reading, try www.randi.org.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
>My husband is totally a deductive atheist. He says, where's the proof? And if there's no proof, then there is no God

My dh is an atheist because, growing up, he realized that all religions say they are true, but they have contradictions, so, if they couldn't all be true, than none of them must be.

To me, both those lines of thought leave some things out. For the first, there is no proof that there is love -- acts that are described as "love" could be viewed in a different, more rational light. Yet I am certain that there is love.

And all religions not being true -- well, I doubt any religion has 100% of everything right. But that can't be a reason doubt doubt a deity. (Mind you, I doubt, but I can't say I KNOW.) Perhaps they all have a small piece of the puzzle, but none of them have all the details. Heck, from their perspective, it is awfully arrogant for them to think that their limited minds can perceive and comprehend the gesalt of God. But they never mention that.... ;-)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.