logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 32 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 31 32
nadaurz #342653 09/21/07 08:45 AM
Wolf
Wolf
To kill the whole issue I have asked Pratibha to return and following Holly's suggestion ignore those who are not at the same wave length.

Friends, this word is made of people of high and low integrity both. I would leave people of low integrity alone because one day they will surely reap what they sow.

I am not the judge. But I have the freedom to choose. The ultimate judge is none other than almighty. Sometimes I am reminded of my actions which might have badly hurt somebody else and I get sleepless nights repenting.

I love my friends here- Trish, manjari, Das, Tami, Pratibha, Jeanette, Erika, Barbara and all others. Can we all move forward and make life a joy for everyone.

I have told Pratibha to come back and post only those jokes that are fit for kids so that all egos are satisfied.

This whole issue reminds me of Agatha Christie's last book- The Curtains.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Wolf
Wolf
Das, Manjari and Pratibha have left this forum.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
hmm. I've read most of hers (Agatha Christie). I don't remember that one, though.

I was telling sexy jokes too, and I am not going to promise not to tell more. It was just that one thread.

This isn't the situation here, but i want to bring up the subject of trolls. Trolls are people on the internet (often angry young teens) who are vicious and harass others and often make racist or abusive remarks. They turn up periodically on just about all websites, so it's important to know how to appropriately deal with them. Trolls will say anything for attention. They enjoy negative attention and getting other people upset and angry and fighting. The best way to deal with trolls is to totally IGNORE them. Because they seek attention and control of situations you cannot reason with them and arguing only encourages them to continue. Leaving lets them win. Sometimes you'll see someone post, "don't feed the trolls." This is a signal that you should not engage with someone who gets joy out of the unhappiness of others and arguing. Ignoring bad behavior is actually a very powerful tool.

I can't bring this subject up really, when there is a troll about, that is why i'm bringing it up now.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Amazingly, when I looked up Agatha Cristie's writings to check out Curtains, I found that there were 4602 titles. The plot description is A Hercule Poirot Mystery where the best friend couldn't tell him WHO he thought was the murderer.

Our "troll" is like that, I think, in that we all KNOW who we believe it is, but we won't tell it OUTLOUD, right CDM? I love the way you say how to handle it, Holly: don't feed the trolls. I am not so sure that out troll is an angry young TEEN, although the other descriptions are right on target!!

CDM, I totally agree with you! I hope that our friendship club can remain intact and learn to IGNORE (as you said, Holly) the impulse to engage in conversations that someone who "gets their joy from the unhappiness of others" by arguing and harassing. Sure hope the others come back. We all know that the abusive remarks that we see and hear about each other are not true, so we don't need to try to justify them and give the troll something else to comment on. wink

Have a wonderful day and weekend!

Your friend, Trish

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Have no friends not equal to yourself."
- Confucious (551 - 497 BC) Chinese philosopher.

Trish

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
But Trish,

I don't feel we have a troll. I said that twice because i do not wish to be misunderstood.

No one gets along with everyone, that's a fact of life. And everyone says things sometimes that offends or is said in anger... i know i have. Some people are more mature or kind than others.

Not everyone disagreeable to us is a troll!

Trolls are a special category. They are angry and bitter MOST of the time. This also goes with being a teen sometimes, and more often a male than a female, though on rare occassion, females can be trolls too. Trolls will especially pick on the weak. They will attack when someone opens up a personal subject. They are verbally abusive. They are usually racist or nationalist in some manner and offensive in that way. Their abuse often includes sexual vulgarities and heavy obscenity. It is hard to believe they are often children because of the foul things that come out of their mouths, but we know most trolls are school age because troll activity increases sharply after school hours and during school holidays!!! Summer especially, is the season for trolls.

I don't see anyone doing that kind of thing here on this forum at present... at least in public.

But how to deal with trolls is also useful in dealing with people online we don't get along with. That's what made me think of it at this time, and as i said, it isn't appropriate to talk much about trolls while they are present. If i believed we had a real troll, i would not have posted this, because that would feed the ego of a troll and encourage them to stick around.

Most trolls i have seen are obsessive-compulsive. They read EVERYTHING on a particular forum and may spend upwards of 8 hours a day on it. I've seen them spend close to 20 hours a day! They are usually very technologically saavy.

I have learned to watch new posters and be cautious with posters who do not give any details of their lives, except perhaps in false and obviously exaggerated boasts. Trolls won't give details of their lives for several reasons: 1)they have an extreme inferiority complex they are trying to hide, 2)they are going to be vicious and when they are they don't want people to be able to reach their vulnerabilities, and 3)they have probably already been banned for bad behavior before and have the habit of coming back under new and false identities, 4) they frequently sign in under several identities in one forum to give the false impression of others agreeing with them and having allies.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes, Holly, I understand but I also think a person who looks forward to certain people posting then posts unkind, argumentative things just to be part of the conversation, can ALSO be trolls. Don't you think we have some like that here? A person changing his/her identity will not make them a different person because they will still act, feel and write like they did before. I agreed that we should treat them the same way. wink

Here are a couple of good quotes. Emerson has some very thoughtful quotes! smile

"A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The only reward of virtue is virtue; the only way to have a friend is to be one."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Trish

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
I see your point and agree.

And i love the quotes of course, because i like Emerson so much.

CD was quoting Thorou... dang! my spelling just went out, LOL! Sometimes i can spell, sometimes i can't... brain freeze! haha

Anyway Emerson and whats-his-name were close friends, so there is some overlap. Th. though, i think was less consistent.

You know who i want to read and am not to familiar with but always like his quotes? John Muir:

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
John Muir

God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools.
John Muir

Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
John Muir

I never saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though they liked it, and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do.
John Muir

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
John Muir sounds like a naturalist/environmentalist, doesn't he? I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree. Who was that? Robert Frost? Another lover of nature, kinda like us. laugh

"Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
- George Washington (1732 - 1799) US Statesman.

"Should auld aquaintance be forgot, And never brought to min'?"
- Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) Scottish poet. ~~~~~ I didn't know this was by Burns, did you? ~~~~~

"It is not so much our friends' help that helps us as the confident knowledge that they will help us."
- Epicurus (341 - 270 BC) Greek philosopher. wink

"Friends have all things in common."
- Plato smile

"To like and dislike the same things, that is indeed true friendship."
- Sallust (86 - 334 BC) Roman historian

"One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives."
- Euripides, Greek playwrite laugh

"Fate chooses your relations, you choose your friends."
- Jacques Delille (1738 - 1813) French poet. ~~~~~ I've seen this on magnets; my girlfriend gave me one a few years ago. I sure didn't know it was by a french poet. wink ~~~~~

Now, the final one will be:

"The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend. I have no wealth to bestow on him. If he knows that I am happy in loving him, he will want no other reward. Is not friendship divine in this?"
- Henry David Thoreau

~~~~~ It is fun to look at these quotes and think about the people who said them. Great philosophers, presidents, poets and writers... amazing when you think how they all felt about friends and friendships. wink ~~~~~

Trish

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Yes, it is.

Actually, being a Scotland-buff, i did know it was Rabbie Burns, but i remember being surprised when i learned.

I know if you like England you're an Anglophile, but what are you when you like Scotland? A Caladoniaphile? ... or just plumb crazy? laugh

Lets see if i can think of some more good quotes, hmmm.

One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon, instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
----Dale Carnegie

Page 19 of 32 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 31 32

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.