logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 46 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 45 46
Amoeba
Amoeba
yaateeh le mita cola,

I am stopping by just to add "sticks" to the campfire. For I do hope that it continues to burn brightly. I have met people here whom I have come to love, and do wish that they will continue to add their "sticks".

I have no story, but I do come bearing marshmellows!! *grin* We just need someone to find little branches for us.

DawnEagle, the "Declaration" was wonderful. It sounds as if you will have a very wonderful and fun weekend and for weekends to come. Do wish that I lived closer.

I am trying to find a powwow or something of that type near me. I really don't know where to begin, except to "google". Perhaps some around the campfire can help me out. I am in Central Florida. Does anyone have any ideas?

To all around the campfire I offer:
wakan tanan kici un (May the Great Spirit Bless You)
kimikaya

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
kimikaya, there is a pow-wow in Washington, D.C. this weekend and August 23-25, there is another one Baltimore, Maryland. I used yahoo and looked up "maryland pow-wows". There were all kinds of sites, with lots of varying info, but after awhile, I came across the info I wanted, which were dates and places. smile

You should be able to do the same with Florida. Good Luck! It seems that this is the time of year when there are alot of "campfire meetings". Our first day in Baltimore is mainly instructional, with Saturday and Sunday holding ALL the cool stuff. laugh

Best Wishes and HAPPY HUNTING!

Trish

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Ya ta hey

I wanted to stop in and wish everyone a great evening, and an even better weekend! If you get to looking for me, I'll be the one by the fire burning my marshmallows... and looking for graham crackers cuz I come bringing chocolate. Add another log to the campfire, and let's get comfortable. I'm gonna tell you a story.

First though, let me say that we have a links section on the Native American home page (click on the BellaOnline logo above - top left, then Society & Culture then Native American), and you'll find pow wow links there too. I try to keep it up to date, so if you have some to add, send them on, and I'll put them in for us.

Ok, story time! I feel like a Dine story tonight...

The Navajo Creation Story

The Navajo creation story involves three underworlds where important events happened to shape the Fourth World where we now live.

The Navajo were given the name Ni�hookaa Diyan Din� by their creators. It means "Holy Earth People" or "Lords of the Earth". Navajos today simply call themselves "Din�", meaning "The People". The Tewa Indians were the first to call them "Navahu", which means "the large area of cultivated land". The Mexicans knew them as "Apaches Du Nabahu" (Apaches of the Cultivated Fields), where "Apache" (Enemy) was picked up from the Zuni Indian language. The "Apaches Du Nabahu" were known as a special group somewhat distinct from the rest of the Apaches. Alonso de Benavides changed the name to "Navaho" in a book written in 1630. The English name the Din� officially use for themselves is "Navajo". Recently, Navajos have been referring to call themselves by their original name, "Din�".

According to the Din�, they emerged from three previous underworlds into this, the fourth, or "Glittering World", through a magic reed. The first people from the other three worlds were not like the people of today. They were animals, insects or masked spirits as depicted in Navajo ceremonies. First Man ('Alts� Hastiin), and First Woman ('Alts� 'Asdz��), were two of the beings from the First or Black World. First Man was made in the east from the meeting of the white and black clouds. First Woman was made in the west from the joining of the yellow and blue clouds. Spider Woman (Na ashje�ii 'Asdz��), who taught Navajo women how to weave, was also from the first world.

Once in the Glittering World, the first thing the people did was build a sweat house and sing the Blessing Song. Then they met in the first house (hogan) made exactly as Talking God (Haashch�eelti�i) had prescribed. In this hogan, the people began to arrange their world, naming the four sacred mountains surrounding the land and designating the four sacred stones that would become the boundaries of their homeland. In actuality, these mountains do not contain the symbolic sacred stones. The San Francisco Peaks (Dook�o�osl��d), represents the Abalone and Coral stones. It is located just north of Flagstaff, and is the Navajo�s religious western boundary. Mt. Blanco (Tsisnaasjini'), in Colorado, represents the White Shell stone, and represents the Navajo�s religious eastern boundary. Mt. Taylor (Tsoodzil), east of Grants, New Mexico, represents the Turquoise stone, and represents the Navajo�s religious southern boundary. Mt. Hesperus (Dib� Nitsaa), in Colorado, represents the Black Jet stone, and represents the Navajo�s religious northern boundary. Pictures of these sacred mountains can be found by clicking here.

After setting the mountains down where they should go, the Navajo deities, or "Holy People", put the sun and the moon into the sky and were in the process of carefully placing the stars in an orderly way. But the Coyote, known as the trickster, grew impatient from the long deliberations being held, and seized the corner of the blanket where it lay and flung the remaining stars into the sky.

The Holy People continued to make the necessities of life, like clouds, trees and rain. Everything was as it should be when the evil monsters appeared and began to kill the new Earth People. But a miracle happened to save them, by the birth of Ever Changing Woman (Asdzaa Nadleehe) at Gobernador Knob (Ch��ol���), New Mexico.

Changing Woman grew up around El Huerfano Mesa (Dzil Na�oodilii), in northern New Mexico. She married the Sun and bore two son, twins, and heroes to the Navajo people. They were known as "Monster Slayer" and "Child-Born-of-Water". The twins traveled to their father the Sun who gave them weapons of lighting bolts to fight the dreaded monsters. Every place the Hero Twins killed a monster it turned to stone. An example of this is the lave flows near Mt. Taylor in New Mexico, believed to be the blood from the death of Ye�iitsoh, or the "Monster who Sucked in People". All of the angular rock formations on the reservation, such as the immense Black Mesa (Dzil Y�jiin), are seen as the turned-to-stone bodies of the monsters.

With all of the monsters dead, the Navajo deities, or "Holy People", turned their attention to the making of the four original clans. Kiiyaa aanii, or Tall House People, was the first clan. They were made of yellow and white corn. Eventually other clans traveled to the area round the San Juan River, bring their important contributions to the tribe. Some were Paiutes who brought their beautiful baskets. Others were Pueblos who shared their farming and weaving skills. Still others were Utes and Apaches.

For her husband, the "Sun", to visit her every evening, Changing Woman went to live in the western sea on an island made of rock crystal. Her home was made of the four sacred stones: Abalone, White Shell, Turquoise, and Black Jet. During the day she became lonely and decided to make her own people. She made four clans from the flakes of her skin. These were known as the Near Water People, Mud People, Salt Water People, and Bitter Water People. When these newly formed clans heard that there were humans to the east who shared their heritage, they wanted to go meet them.

Changing Woman gave her permission for them to travel from the western sea to the San Francisco Peaks. They then traveled through the Hopi mesas where they left porcupine, still commonly found there today. Then they traveled toward the Chuska Mountains and on to Mt. Taylor. Finally, the people arrived at Dinetah, the Din� traditional homeland, and joined the other clans already living there. Dinetah is located in the many canyons that drain the San Juan River about 30 miles east of Farmington, New Mexico.

Source: www.lapahie.com
a great site for Navajo info, including pics of some of the locations mentioned in this story.

Walk in Beauty,

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hello out there!
Is anybody listening? Just nod if you can hear me...
heehee, a little Pink Floyd to get your weekend rolling.

I just got back from Indian Market in Santa Fe, and am about to write up an article on it for this week's column. We stayed until the rain hit, and it was HOT up there! Usually it is cooler in Santa Fe than it is in Albuquerque, but no such luck today!

I am just stopping in to say hello to you all, and wish you a wonderful weekend. I'll be back with a story later on.

Oh! And upgrades have been done on the forum, which should help it to not crash so often anymore. Woo hoo!

Walk in Beauty,

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
K
K
I just want to say hello
I have been interested Native American culture a very long time.
I am very interested all storys, clothes, jewerlys and dancing.
I have been seen one time powwows and it looks very beutiful dance!
I live here in East Finland so I have not possibility to
see or learn more.
Now I just read all your writing here.
Thank you for all of you

Katja

I want to learn more in NA
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hello Katja,
Welcome to the Native American forum! We are honored to have you amongst us, and glad you are warming yourself at our campfire. The stories will continue later today, and many are here to share. Feel free to ask questions, or add comments of your own. We are all here to learn, and to grow smile

Kimikaya, I just replied to you about your forum problems, and came over here to find that I was able to get in and post. Hopefully, you can now do the same, and you will find this message telling you to try it out. There is a link on the main forum page to click if you have problems. Go to BellaOnline, click on forums, and it's the page that gives you the forum list, it's on the top right hand side. Let me know if you still experience problems, and I'll follow up on you again later on.

Everyone have a great Sunday afternoon. I'll be back later with a story.
Many Blessings,

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Good Morning and Happy Monday to all!

Stopping by to let you know that I am going to be out of town the rest of the week. I am going to do some camping in southern New Mexico, in the Gila Wilderness. I will return sometime between Friday and Sunday.

This week's article is on the Santa Fe Indian Market, and will go live at noon (Bella time) on Thursday. It can be accessed on the Native American home page. I hope you enjoy it!

I tried to get back in here to leave you a story last night, and the forum was down. I think it is fixed now, I have received word that it is all in working order, and should stay up and running all the time. If you do experience any problems, go to the main forum page, and on the top right, you will see a link to click, to contact someone about it.

Ok, here's your story. I pray you a wonderful week!

Butterflies

Papago

One day the Creator was resting, sitting, watching some children at play in a village. The children laughed and sang, yet as he watched them, the Creator's heart was sad.
He was thinking:
"These children will grow old. Their skin will become wrinkled. Their hair will turn gray. Their teeth will fall out. The young hunter's arm will fail. These lovely young girls will grow ugly and fat. The playful puppies will become blind, mangy dogs. And those wonderful flowers - yellow and blue, red and purple - will fade. The leaves from the trees will fall and dry up. Already they are turning yellow."

Thus the Creator grew sadder and sadder. It was in the fall, and the thought of the coming winter, with its cold and lack of game and green things, made his heart heavy.

Yet it was still warm, and the sun was shining. The Creator watched the play of sunlight and shadow on the ground, the yellow leaves being carried here and there by the wind. He saw the blueness of the sky, the whiteness of some cornmeal ground by the women. Suddenly he smiled.
"All those colors, they ought to be preserved. I'll make something to gladden my heart, something for these children to look at and enjoy."

The Creator took out his bag and started gathering things: a spot of sunlight, a handful of blue from the sky, the whiteness of the cornmeal, the shadow of playing children, the blackness of a beautiful girl's hair, the yellow of the falling leaves, the green of the pine needles, the red, purple, and orange of the flowers around him. All these he put into his bag.
As an afterthought, he put the songs of the birds in, too.

Then he walked over to the grassy spot where the children were playing.
"Children, little children, this is for you," and he gave them his bag. "Open it; there's something nice inside," he told them.

The children opened the bag, and at once hundreds and hundreds of colored butterflies flew out, dancing around the children's heads, settling on their hair, fluttering up again to sip from this or that flower. And the children, enchanted, said that they had never seen anything so beautiful.

The butterflies began to sing, and the children listened smiling.

But then a songbird came flying, settling on the Creator's shoulder, scolding him, saying:
"It's not right to give our songs to these new, pretty things. You told us when you made us that every bird would have his own song. And now you've passed them all around. Isn't it enough that you gave your new playthings the colors of the rainbow?"
"You're right," said the Creator. "I made one song for each bird, and I shouldn't have taken what belongs to you."

So the Creator took the songs away from the butterflies, and that's why they are silent.
"They're beautiful even so!" he said.

- Retold from various sources.
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
KatjaP,
Welcome to you. There is a Native American Elder who travels all over the world to spread the teachings. His name is Rainbow Eagle and I know he has been to Finland.
Look at his website.

K
K
Ok I check that dancing what I saw and it was not powwow.
It was hoop dance(?) and dancer was Holy Eagle and year was 1998.
I hope that I can see someday powwow also.
I think that I have some stupid guestions, but I have to ask later. Now I have to go.

I want to learn more in NA
Page 7 of 46 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 45 46

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.