Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
das Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Ann, with your back pain, at this age, does it not become tiring to write long posts?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
das #319711 06/05/07 09:57 AM
A
Shark
Shark
A
No, because Patience has the back pain, but I don't very much. She holds most of the physical pain. That is her choice. Besides, I type fast! (LOL!)

Ann.

A
Shark
Shark
A
Some information about DID/MPD and 'creating' alters.

Ann.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by anndidetal; 06/06/07 03:23 AM.
P
Gecko
Gecko
P
Quote:
I don't know about your source, "enchantedwings," but David Spiegel, MD (psychiatry) was responsible for the change in name from the DSM III and DSM IV (the diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association), and it is from his research and assertion that an individual with DID is one person who lacks integration of different aspects of their personality, rather than being many persons in one body, that the change was made.

Hi Hollyelise,

While the 'Main' is adjusting to changes within the system, I did some research regarding your comments about Dr.D. Spiegel's observations.

This account by Ralph B. Allison MD gives a description from the point of view of a psychiatrist with practical experience in treating MPD/DID. He challenges the views of Dr Spiegal and gives details of his reasons for disagreeing.

To see the situation from both sides, anyone believing the view of Dr Spiegal should read it carefully and without bias.

Percy.

Quote:
Dr. Ralph B. Allison:

I am a retired board-certified forensic psychiatrist who has been treating dissociators since 1972. With 24 years of clinical experience to look back on, now I can see previously obscure facts about dissociating patients. With this Website, I hope to make these insights available to psychotherapists, attorneys, and dissociated patients in need of understanding a complex and controversial subject.

Dual Personality, Multiple Personality,
Dissociative Identity Disorder - What's in a Name?

When I diagnosed my first case of MPD in 1972 (Janette in "Minds In Many Pieces"), I had had no professional training on the subject. I went to the Stanford Medical Library to look up articles on the subject since no computerized databases existed then. The book called "Index Medicus" was the only place one could start searching for published articles. There I found the listing of "Dual Personality."

In the 1970s, when I started meeting with other therapists of "multiples" (the term we all came to use for patients with MPD), we informally agreed to call the disorder "Multiple Personality Disorder" or MPD for short. I wrote to the editors of the Index Medicus to ask them to add Multiple Personality Disorder to the subject headings, and they did that.

At that time, a small group of us therapists were struggling with these patients, and we created our own networking methods. I published a newsletter, "Memos On Multiplicity," for one year as my way of trying to let such therapists know where fellow adventurers in this field were.

Eventually, the interest moved from the solo practitioner's office to the academic halls of learning. Some practitioners had teaching appointments in graduate schools where their opinions about MPD were not always greeted with acceptance. After all, the accepted dictums stated that people only were allowed one personality per body. Anyone claiming to have patients with two or more personalities had a difficult task convincing those in academia that such was possible.

This conflict of views between those therapists dealing daily with dissociated patients (some exhibiting dozens of alter-personalities, or "alters") and academic teachers who spent more of their days teaching and doing research than actually treating severely ill patients, came to a boil with the need to revise DSM III.

DSM I (Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Version I) was created after WWI to provide a framework for labeling post-war psychiatric causalities. DSM II was written after WWII for the same purpose. Remember, these were written in the USA by American psychiatrists. However the same terms were accepted by the editors of the International Code of Diseases (ICD) through its present 9th edition.

When I met my first multiple, DSM II was in use. MPD was then a minor label under "Hysterical Dissociative Disorder." It did not even have its own code number.

DSM III was created while I was in the middle of my practice years. It recognized MPD as existing, gave it a code number, and defined its characteristics. We who treated these patients finally had found a degree of acceptance in officialdom. "If it is listed in here, it must exist."

Then the backlash began. There had always been doubters that such a disease really existed, and my struggles with critics are chronicled in "Minds In Many Pieces." Personally, I had withdrawn from public debates on the matter to deal with private matters, so I only know indirectly about the political battles behind the scene during the formulation of DSM IV, the current edition.

The field of "Dissociative Disorders" now had its own section. A committee of experts was appointed to decide what disorders should be listed in DSM IV. It was hoped that DSM IV would also be the psychiatric section of the new ICD-10, then in progress.

The committee was composed of two groups, psychiatrists whose primary role was as therapists and those whose primary roles were teaching and research. The therapists wanted to keep MPD much as it was in DSM III. The teachers wanted to eliminate MPD altogether, and replace it with "Dissociative Identity Disorder" or DID. I heard one of these teachers say in public, "Everybody is born with only one personality. Therefore, there can be no such thing as a Multiple Personality Disorder."

With this belief system, the teachers could not agree that MPD could be an accurate label for anyone. The treaters on the committee did not know how to explain that, in practice if not in theory, their patients acted as if they had other personalities. The teachers decided that the patients had the major mental problem of believing that they had more than one personality. The goal of therapy should not be integrating the various personalities, but getting the patients over their false belief (delusion) that they had other personalities at all. (Since I was not present for the deliberation, these ideas are only reasonable conclusions from what I heard from others who were there and position statements published about the debate.)

So the patients still had a problem, but it was redefined as a different problem than the one their therapists were treating them for. Instead of therapists trying to integrate "alters" into an original personality, they should now focus their attention on the patients "delusion" that they did not have a single identity. Now the teachers expected the treaters to treat the patients' "identity disorder," as no one could really have multiple personalities.

When the decision was reported out of committee, the teachers had won, and MPD suddenly ceased to exist. Now all our multiples had Dissociative Identity Disorder or DID.

However, the editors of the ICD did not accept DSM IV as their section on Mental Disorders. In the newest printing of ICD-9, they did add "Dissociative Identity Disorder" below MPD as a synonym. So, in the world outside the USA, MPD still exists. Only in the USA have all multiples been told they have a false belief that they have alters running their bodies.

But I know that, in the case of MPD, the patient's Original Personality (yes, teachers, the only one they have) goes "into hiding" at the time of a life threatening assault before the age of seven. Therefore, there is "no one home" to have the Disorder of Identity. The Original Personality is the only one capable of having such a "false belief," but she is not in executive control of the body or participating in social life at all. But the Allisonian ISH I met in these patients had created all sorts of alters to run the body in the absence of the Original Personality. Therefore, I could not honestly give up the accurate label of MPD and substitute an inaccurate label of DID.

But, I had met other dissociating patients who were of the "dual personality" type. They had never shown an ISH, and they manifested far fewer alters. Could I apply this new label to them? Yes, I decided I could.

So, personally, I came to realize that both MPD and DID can be considered accurate labels, but for two different groups of dissociators. Here is how I now use these acronyms in my writings.

The key differentiating criteria is the age of the first dissociation, with the seventh birthday being the approximate cut-off point for MPD, and the earliest date for DID to appear. This is the age the child's mind must mature to so that it can "hold it all together" when severely traumatized. After age seven, it may dissociate and form alters, but it will not dissociate into its two component parts, the Intellectual Self (ISH/Essence) and the Emotional Self (Original Personality).

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.
John Adams

D
das Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Patience,
It is time for you to start a blog on this. Lot many people will get help.

das #320928 06/10/07 02:57 AM
A
Shark
Shark
A
Hi Das,

Percy did well to do the research to find this. It was needed because it was apparent to me also that the validity of our different personalities was doubted, or at least, questioned by Holly - and perhaps others too. My previous attempts to explain this went unanswered, even though it WAS on topic, as this thread is entitled 'Authentic Self'.

Holly was the one to question the validity of multiple personalities. I responded to her disagreement.

I hope this information that Percy has submitted will be acknowledged.

It is just another form of 'no one believing us' when our reality is brought into question. (I recall that Holly once addressed 'Ann' as 'Patience/Ann' as if we were the same personality.) This is very upsetting to multiples - when we are not believed.

At present, our 'trial blending' (which is not full integration) is going quite well, except that we are aware of marked differences which have to be resolved before full integration can take place, and our therapist is working with us on that. What it means now, is that we are BOTH 'out' together, and not separately as we were before.

Percy will never integrate because he can't stand being in a female body when he is male.

I was concerned about some of the comments because I know for a fact that there are other people on the Bella Forums who are multiples. Some are still discovering their different alters, and are not co-conscious with all, so some comments questioning the validity of multiple personalities could be very damaging to them. They certainly aren't going to join the discussion when they think they are not going to be believed.

So this topic is rather important to us. In many ways, we are speaking for them and validating them.

Belief, acceptance and respect are the right of every Person with MPD/DID.

Thanks so much for responding. Your acceptance is wonderful, and we are so grateful.

Kerryanne.

D
das Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Good luck .

das #322728 06/17/07 01:05 AM
Wolf
Wolf
I believe that the meaning of authentic self as defined by Holly is-

To realize our full potential by remaining in a positive state.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.