Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
Just talked to my husband about not wanting kids. I read him my first post here. I was in tears the whole time. (Still am.)

1) He doesn't understand why I'm crying about this.

2) He says, "I don't want kids either right now."

3) He said that he married ME.

4) He said that he would hope that I would never have a kid to appease him or anyone else because that would be ridiculous, that I should want to have a kid.

BUT - I think he still thinks I'm going to change my mind, and I told him that. I asked him why he wants kids. He said that that's how he's always seen his life - with a wife and kids.

That's too bad. I guess I'll just leave him before he can leave me, you know, in a couple years when he realizes I wasn't kidding about not changing my mind.

I don't understand how he can be so supportive and understanding about everything else, then repeat several times after I've been bawling on the couch that "I don't want kids RIGHT NOW ..."

Any suggestions? Should I email him some of the other posts that you guys have posted talking about freedom in a CF life? I don't know. I just don't understand why you would want kids and not even have a better reason than "that's how I've always seen my life ...."

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
Hmm ... wonder what happened to the title of my post. Should be "talked to husband about CF life"

Shark
Shark
lngilbert,
I just read your first post and completely understand where you are coming from. I agree that having kids because that is just what you thought you would do is not the best reason to do so. At one point in my life I felt like that...so I see where he is coming from. However, it may be a good idea for him to sit down and make a list like you did in your post. How many reasons can he come up with as to why he wants kids? I think he needs to give this SERIOUS thought. Having kids because you just assumed you would...with all due respect for your husband, he does not sound real prepared. Maybe it is different for men. They don't go through the pregnancy thing...and chances are they don't wind up with the bulk of the housework, childrearing either. This is a tangent, but I think I would be more willing to have a kid if I could be a stereotypical "dad". It is very different for women. When my dad came home from work, dinner was made, kids were clean, homework was done....Dad watched tv with us and went to bed. Mom did everything else.

Sure, you could change your mind--however I know from experience that the more people tell you that the less likely you will do so. But your husband can also change his mind. I am now 32 and it seems that people are finally starting to understand that I am not changing my mind...but still some people have to tell me about their sister/cousin/aunt etc. who decided to have a kid at 32....34, etc. One of my biggest fears is that my husband will change his mind...so I really feel for you.

I would definately encourage him to make a list of why he wants a child. It is important that he understands his desire. You can also tell him (and you may have already)that it is likely you are NOT going to change your mind and ask how he will feel in 5 years if you feel the same way. Based on your reasoning in your first post, it is obvious you have thought long and hard about this.

Hang in there.

jmb Offline
Shark
Shark
I agree with Chaco. Your hubby really needs to think about why he might want a child some day. AND he needs to list the good and bad things about having children. Personally, I think if more people thought about all of the consequences of having children, less people would have them. I think your husband is primarily thinking of the "Hallmark" moments and doesn't know about all of the stress involved.
I have a coworker with an 11 year old son who is turning into a handful... he is a smart kid but is not motivated at school and spends a lot of his time daydreaming and goofing off. He has all of the advantages at home, and parents who are willing to spend hours helping with homework etc... but the kid won't try and can't motivate himself... therefore he is failing 7th grade. His parents are at their wits end and considering spending $43 an hour to send him to Sylvan for help. My coworker now says that having kids is NOT what he expected at all.
Oh, and don't forget mentioning the negative impact that kids will have on his sex life! ;-)

M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
I can empathise with the original poster. My husband always thought he wanted kids too. When i told him that i didn't think i did, he was surprised (we were married about 2 years at that point). I told him that if it was a deal breaker for him, that i would consider having a child.
But only if he explained to me how we were going to afford it, and only if he agreed to take paternity leave instead of me taking maternity leave. When he sat down to consider the financial and practical effects of having a child, he soon changed his mind. I think that he presumed (sooooo dangerous!) that all women were like his mother, and would happily give up everything just to have a baby. Meanwhile, his life would carry on as normal, but he'd have a child to show off and talk to everyone about.
My advice to the original poster is to sit down with her husband and discuss the practical and financial implications of what he wants. And to consider 'borrowing' a child/baby for a couple of days, so that he can see how much work is actually involved. In my experience, men rarely consider this aspect when they think about having children. Because they don't have to; there will be a mother there to pick up the pieces when they don't.

L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
Thanks everyone for the support. I am feeling much better about this today. It is hard to talk to my husband about this because he keeps saying "we don't have to talk about this now - let's talk about it in 5 years." I don't WANT to talk about it in 5 years, I want to "clear the air" now!

He did admit to me in bed last night that there is a possibility I could change his mind. He says he loves me very, very much and if I don't want to have kids, I don't have to.

BUT - the thing that I keep coming back to over and over is that he may say that, but I don't really think he means it. (If you were here you would know what I mean.) It's the fact that after saying that, he'll say "I don't want them right now either."

There is no "either!" I don't want them now, I don't want them ever. He really had a hard time wrapping his head around that.

I explained to him that I would be the one doing most of the work, and he looked at me like I had two heads. He honestly thinks he will do an equal share? He thinks he does an equal share in the house, and all he does is moan and groan and do the dishes every couple days. I literally have to throw a fit to get him to do anything, so I don't even bother anymore.

It's not his fault, but he's got to step up. Just because his mom quit her job to raise the family and did all the housework and yes, his dad just had the "Hallmark moments" - that doesn't mean that I am going to do that. HELL NO I am not going to do that!

I'll broach the possibility of the list with him today and give him a week or so to think about it all, then maybe try the discussion again. I know he doesn't want to talk about it, but I think it's important to talk about it, especially now when it's been a very stressful subject and really weighing on my mind the last few weeks. I don't know WHY it's been weighing on my mind, maybe because my sister is doing the whole 2nd pregnancy thing right now ...

Anyway, I do feel better, which is great, because I have a huge interview coming up in about an hour. I'm going to go get ready. Thanks everyone, I am so happy to be here in this forum. It's been so wonderful to have a supportive community at my back.

M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
Hi Ingilbert,
Here are some points from a male perspective that may help convince your husband to remain CF. Yes you should e-mail or discuss with your husband the freedom of a CF lifestyle which is very well articulated in this forum. One of the many reasons I am adamantly CF is that I don't want to deal with the grunt work of parenting. A person can't pick and choose with parenting i.e. enjoying "Kodak moments" but not changing diapers. Definitely read him the post below about sex:
You might also want to tell hubby about the many negative effects that having a child will have on his sex life:
1) You probably won't WANT to have sex when you are pregnant (and having mood swings, morning sickness, swollen ankles etc.) So he won't get much sex then...
2) When you HAVE a baby... you will be tired, and trying to SLEEP when the baby is not awake. So he won't get much sex then either...
3) When the baby grows into a child... you will have to wait until the child is asleep... and try not to wake them... and worry about them walking in unannounced. So he won't get much sex then either...
and
4) If you have vaginal childbirth... your "stuff" will be all stretched out. You won't be as "tight" for him anymore, and sex won't be as pleasurable for EITHER of you. So, when he DOES get sex it won't be the same... (FYI I got this info from my husband who had children with his first wife)

Maybe he'll listen if you lay out these facts for him. In general, men rank sex right up there with food and sports, as the best/most important things in life, so maybe he'll think again if he realizes what kids will do to his sex life.

I feel you are 100% right to clear the air now. Keep pressing him on the work issue as well.

Hope your interview went well.
Mike

SCREW OPEC AND RIDE A BIKE!
L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
Thanks, Mike, I did email your post to him. I appreciate your help. The interview went okay but then I had to write a press release and a sponsorship letter, neither of which I've done before but could do if I had a sample in front of me. SO - I did mention that. Luckily, this is for a position at my current job, so they all know me and really like me, so that shouldn't deter them ... I hope ... I'll find out Wednesday.

N
Gecko
Gecko
N
"My advice to the original poster is to sit down with her husband and discuss the practical and financial implications of what he wants. And to consider 'borrowing' a child/baby for a couple of days, so that he can see how much work is actually involved."

Great advice!

L
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
L
I agree about "borrowing" a child. Maybe after my sister has her 2nd, she'll want me to borrow J for an evening so she can relax with the new one.

My husband has never spent time with little kids. Even with J, he's never been alone with him, or for only a few minutes at a time. And of course, he always does the "fun uncle" stuff - playing the drums, playing with light sabres, wrestling and chasing, etc. The second J cries about something he's handed over to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.