Originally Posted By: Phyllis-Folk/Myth
laugh That is obvious from the way you describe how thunder storms make you feel. I become very energized during thunder storms -- yet it makes me humble to realize the power of Nature.

Great Granddaughter, You descend from a noble people. I have been studying the ways of the Lakhota for quite awhile. Nicholas Black Elk is one of favorite people to quote.

The first peace, which is the most important, is that which comes within the souls of people when they realize their relationship, their oneness, with the universe and all its powers, and when they realize that at the center of the universe dwells Wakan-Taka (the Great Spirit), and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us.

This is the real peace, and the others are but reflections of this. The second peace is that which is made between two individuals, and the third is that which is made between two nations. But above all you should understand that there can never be peace between nations until there is known that true peace, which, as I have often said, is within the souls of men.

Black Elk - Oglala Sioux

You will love our Native American forum. Jane, the editor, is so much a part of Nature. Right now, we all are anxiously awaiting ever day to hear about her little family of Hawks that have a nest in her yard. Just Click Here to enter the Native American forum.

Or - go to the 'Travel & Culture' list, click on Native American.

It's a wonderful forum!! Jane has way of captivating her readers with her honest writing style. Oh! and the hawk pictures! So gorgeous and precious to see all of them from grandmother (I'm so partial to!) and the little babies!
I love that quote from the Oglala Sioux!
For me, peace is so much more than just a 60's concept of rebelling against war! It's a beautiful combination of serenity in our surroundings, seeking quiet joy in Nature, and the calm acceptance of the souls around us, be they animal, tree, person or sky.