BellaOnline
Posted By: Pinecone "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 06:56 PM
I know this has been brought up before, but MAN, it grosses me out when people (especially unattractive ones, because let's face it, that's even less appealing) tell me they are "trying"!!!!!

GROSS!!!!!!! Do you think that's cute because you want to have a baby and anything baby-related is beautiful and wonderful and miraculous and special?

Well, I'm here to tell you that I don't wanna know when you and your disgusting partner are bumping uglies*!!!!

*Sorry, that is an INCREDIBLY vulgar expression, but really... that's what it is, why is it cuter when it's called "trying"?????
Posted By: NotInterested Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 06:59 PM
Why don't they just say what it really sounds like to me:

"Hey, everyone! We're F***ing! Without birth control of ANY kind! Aren't you proud of us?"

*crickets*

*crickets*

*crickets*

Posted By: CF 4 Ever Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 07:01 PM
I couldn't agree more. I do not want to know this. TMI.
Posted By: KinderFrei Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 07:03 PM
Ewww...that grosses me out too. Another thing that grosses me out is when people tell you their date of conception. Some acquaintances of ours just told us they were pregnant and they both excitedly said "our date of conception was xx". So of course my DH and I both said later that you can't help but immediately envision what was happening on that particular date for those two. Totally not a visual we wanted to see! And even worse, as pinecone hilariously pointed out, this couple is not very attractive either!
Posted By: NotInterested Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 07:11 PM
Trying To Conceive == TTC.

The real abbreviation of what they are doing:

F****** Under Covers = FUC

smile smile smile smile

MUCH more humorous smile

Posted By: NotInterested Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 07:16 PM
Almost wants me to say what has been said before:

"Congratulations! You are now doing what rats do on a daily basis." smile

Posted By: lngilbert Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 07:28 PM
One thing that has always grossed me out is the knowledge that once I was married, my parents KNEW I was having sex.

I don't want people to know. Call me prude, I don't care. I think that kind of stuff should be kept private.
Posted By: BrandiMagill Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 07:32 PM
So true:~)
Posted By: NotInterested Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 07:38 PM
I understand the feeling. It is one of those things that people just don't think about -- which is why WE think about it.

Anything done behind closed doors -- whatever it is, whenever it is, what is said, etc -- should be known only between the two people involved. There is a reason why such things are called "intimate acts" -- they are meant for the most private of audiences -- just the participants themselves! It should not be broadcast to the entire world -- be it family, friends, or random people who are in earshot of those "announcements."

When you do think about it, it is an oogie feeling. No, you are not being a prude at all! Sometimes, being "old fashioned" has its advantages, IMO.
Posted By: CF 4 Ever Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 08:13 PM
I totally agree, Ingilbert, Duane & Brandi. My sex life is private and i don't want to know about yours either.

However, when I hear someone say, "We're trying!!!" I think to myself, "How sad that they have to try. We succeeed every time." Snerk. wink Too bad I don't have the guts to say it. (You give me a little TMI, I think I should be able to give it right back.)

Anyone remember the show Mad About You with Helen Hunt? There was an episode where she and the hubby decided they were ready for kids, so they went around and told everyone (very excitedly) "We're trying!" and wondered why the people they told were not as excited as they were. I was really squicked out by it because it wasn't just part of the conversation, they made a trip to see (I think it was) their parents for the sole purpose of making the announcement. Their parents weren't even sure what to say in reply. I wouldn't know either.

The hubby and I thought it was really weird and kinda gross. I'm glad we're not the only people who think so.
Posted By: pinkbows Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 08:25 PM
What's sad is that a LOT of people think this is a great topic of converstation. If more people had the decency of you folks, it would be a non-issue.

I would assume that when someone says they are "trying" that they are on fertility drugs. I mean if you are just having sex, I don't think that's noteworthy. If you are worried about an expensive medical procedure, that's another thing.
Posted By: K i K i Re: "We are trying!" - 03/31/08 08:33 PM
I get grossed out by it also. Especially when people tell their parents that they are trying to have a baby. Why not just try in your own private time and then just let people know the news once you're pregnant. I do not need/want to know the details.
Posted By: CF_GAL Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 01:52 AM
Originally Posted By: lngilbert
One thing that has always grossed me out is the knowledge that once I was married, my parents KNEW I was having sex.

I don't want people to know. Call me prude, I don't care. I think that kind of stuff should be kept private.

Oh Ingilbert...I am right there with you on the parents KNOWING once I got married. When we left the wedding reception was the worst...My dad looked at us telling us farewell....I knew he KNEW what we were getting ready to go do. And then there was the time that my mom tells me not to flush condoms down the toilet because it is not good for the septic tank....I think I just sat there with my mouth hanging open or something...not really sure! AWKWARD is all I have to say about that.

I am totally with the rest of you...I hate it when someone tells me that they are "trying." I do not need to know about their sex life. Sex is "intimate" for a reason like Duane said. You don't go broadcasting it to everyone you know...at least I don't.

And I am like Ingilbert...I don't want anyone to know either...I am just old fashioned like that smile
Posted By: meam Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 03:51 AM
I would love to say something really naughty in response to people like that but my jiminey cricket says I can't ^_^ damn conscience. Still, I kind of mentally think it for a giggle.

(what I'd like to say)

breeders to be : Guess what! We're trying for a baby! isn't that great!

Me: Guess what! I'm [censored] too! Except I'm using birth control! Isn't that just wonderful news to share with everyone! ^_^

breeders to be:.............0_0......*blink*
Posted By: lua Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 04:22 AM
Seriously TMI. I don't want to know that stuff, either. Its just as bad as "we are pregnant."
Posted By: CF 4 Ever Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 04:53 AM
LOL @ meam!

That's kinda like what I said. How sad they have to try when we succeed every time. wink
Posted By: Lisa_Orlando Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 05:18 AM
Originally Posted By: KinderFrei
Ewww...that grosses me out too. Another thing that grosses me out is when people tell you their date of conception. Some acquaintances of ours just told us they were pregnant and they both excitedly said "our date of conception was xx". So of course my DH and I both said later that you can't help but immediately envision what was happening on that particular date for those two. Totally not a visual we wanted to see! And even worse, as pinecone hilariously pointed out, this couple is not very attractive either!

I just have to point this out but how much sex are you actually having if you know the exact date of conception? I have a friend who knew exactly but I can tell you I didn't know other then to say sometime during that month, not that I shared this information with people at large. People always ask when your due, I kind of thought that was enough information.
Posted By: Llyn Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 06:38 AM
Originally Posted By: lngilbert

Oh yeah - that grossed me out too! I've always considered that area of my life to be private. And yeah, I do qualify as a prude...I was raised in part by a very Victorian Granny and one simply did not discuss intimate parts of the female anatomy or exhibit them for any reason. Granny considered one's legs to be an intimate part.

Posted By: Minders Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 08:33 AM
I think it's gross too. I was once talking with a group of women at work and one of them said she and her husband were "trying" and immediately a bunch of the other women started giving tips on how to be successful. Let's just say I left really quickly.
Posted By: Lisa_Orlando Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 01:00 PM
I think sometimes couples stop having interesting sex AND then they decide to have children.
Posted By: Ms A Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 03:01 PM
Let me put a different perspective on this one. I dealt with infertility, and dh was very private about it. I felt, though, that it was a medical concern, and can be very overwhelming for the couple. If I had diabetes, it wouldn't have had to be so hush-hush, so why should a different medical concern be stigmatized like that?

"Trying" can often include some very clinical aspects, like monitoring basal temperatures to know when/if ovulation is occurring, blood tests, injections, ultrasounds... it can be a very dominating feature of your life.

Now, if they just decided to try for a baby, and aren't dealing with infertility that may be a different issue.

Just a different side of the picture.

Posted By: lngilbert Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 03:38 PM
Still, I don't need to know about it. I don't need to know when bodily functions are part of someone's disease, either.

Going to the gynie is something that every woman does, but I don't feel the need to announce it to the world. In fact, I'd prefer that people don't even consider the fact that I go there.

And it's not like having a child is a life or death situation. Except for nosy busy-bodies, I'm guessing that the majority of people don't really care if you're "trying" or not, no matter the circumstance.
Posted By: CF 4 Ever Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 04:15 PM
What Ingilbert said. Every. Single. Word.
Posted By: Angela P Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 06:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Ms A
Let me put a different perspective on this one. I dealt with infertility, and dh was very private about it. I felt, though, that it was a medical concern, and can be very overwhelming for the couple. If I had diabetes, it wouldn't have had to be so hush-hush, so why should a different medical concern be stigmatized like that?

Frankly, I wouldn't feel the need to discuss my diabetes with anyone but my doctor, either. There is a difference between "stigmatized" and "private." Just because I don't want to hear about irritable bowel syndrome, erectile dysfunction or other medical conditions doesn't mean I'm "stigmatizing" their victims; I simply don't want to hear about it unless you're a friend in need of help or comfort.

Originally Posted By: Ms A
"Trying" can often include some very clinical aspects, like monitoring basal temperatures to know when/if ovulation is occurring, blood tests, injections, ultrasounds... it can be a very dominating feature of your life.

So can living with herpes. Still don't need to know about it.
Posted By: Ms A Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 07:02 PM
>I just have to point this out but how much sex are you actually having if you know the exact date of conception?

It's irrelevant if you are tracking ovulation. If you know when you ovulated, you know when conception occurred. Before and after -- just for fun, ya know. (And when it isn't "you have to" time, it is more fun.)

Posted By: KinderFrei Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 07:13 PM
^^^ that may be true but I still don't wanna know the date smile
Posted By: flyingaway Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 07:54 PM
urk...are people videotaping the conception nowadays for Youtube as well as the birth?
Posted By: Pikasam Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 08:14 PM
God, nothing would surprise me. I just want to know when it was everyone thought it was a good idea to "let it all hang out". I must have missed the memo.

My private life is private. Don't ask, don't tell. There are still some things that totally DON'T need to be shared.

As for people saying "we're trying" I'd be all "trying what? Ethnic food? Skydiving? What?" I'm very good at disingenious or even downright vacuous, when the mood suits me...
Posted By: NotInterested Re: "We are trying!" - 04/01/08 09:20 PM
No, the videotaping of the conception is on Xtube smile

Posted By: CF 4 Ever Re: "We are trying!" - 04/02/08 03:19 AM
Telling people the due date is perfectly fine, but I've never had anyone tell me the date of conception. Ewww. You really don't need to tell me what day you were having sex. Come on, people. Have we no common decency?

Posted By: NotInterested Re: "We are trying!" - 04/02/08 11:09 AM
I don't think I could stand it if my parents said that I was conceived on the 5th day of <month>, <year>... I mean... that would make me feel double oogie...

Posted By: lngilbert Re: "We are trying!" - 04/02/08 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Cherry Red
Telling people the due date is perfectly fine, but I've never had anyone tell me the date of conception. Ewww. You really don't need to tell me what day you were having sex. Come on, people. Have we no common decency?

Didn't you listen to what MsA had to say? It's a MEDICAL DISEASE! That's why you should know.
Posted By: NotInterested Re: "We are trying!" - 04/02/08 08:07 PM
Disease = a problem or issue adversely affecting the health and/or quality of life of a person.

That doesn't sound like 'bbbbaaaaabbbbbbyyyyy', does it?

Posted By: Jzel Re: "We are trying!" - 04/03/08 12:25 AM
When they say that..then you start to picture the sex..ew! like thinking about our parents having sex!

Just information that we don't need to know.
Posted By: FiddleDeeDee Re: "We are trying!" - 04/03/08 05:55 PM
Here is another one that drives me crazy, "Baby Dancing"...UGH!!!Another way of saying F***ing!
Posted By: flyingaway Re: "We are trying!" - 04/03/08 06:33 PM
Ewwwwww! I hadn't heard that one. It gives me the willies. It sounds vaguely incestuous and the visual image is hideous.
Posted By: Pinecone Re: "We are trying!" - 04/03/08 06:47 PM
Oh, GROSS. Baby dancing...? Sorry, that truly makes me want to puke. I wish these disgusting people would stop trying to make themselves sound all precious and cute.
Posted By: lngilbert Re: "We are trying!" - 04/03/08 06:55 PM
I really think that "trying" is pretty gross in itself. I mean, you KNOW what's involved in order to make certain ... biological functions ... happen. "Wow, we are really needing to get in as many orgasms as possible to make a child."

Yeah, that's not sick in any way.
Posted By: KinderFrei Re: "We are trying!" - 04/03/08 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: FiddleDeeDee
Here is another one that drives me crazy, "Baby Dancing"...UGH!!!Another way of saying F***ing!

omg that sounds so gross!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ki-akkil Re: "We are trying!" - 04/03/08 07:55 PM
The euphemisms are far worse than the words they are trying to cover up.
© BellaOnline Forums