Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#834031 08/16/13 03:06 PM
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none

Thich Nhat Hanh published this book . It is a book on the Buddhist phylosophy and psychology.

To my level of knowledge ,it is a pretty hard book to assimilate,and could not be put with Mindfulness Trainings.

Loong

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

To know if someone is happy,you only have to look at the seeds
in his store consciousness(subconscious).If there are strong seeds of unhappiness ,anger,discrimination,and delusion,he will suffer greatly,and it is likely that through his actions he will water these unwholesome seeds in others.If his seeds of understanding,compassion,forgiveness,and Joy are strong ,not only is he capable of true happiness but he will be able to water the seeds of happiness in others.Our daily practice is to recognize and water the wholesome seeds in ourselves and others.Our happinessand the happiness of others depend on it.

TNH

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

From what I have read so far,I'll have lots of work to do.

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Taken from the Mind Consciousness section

Mind Consciousness is always functionning
except in states of non-perception,
the two attainments,
deep sleep,fainting or coma

text from Thich Nhat Hanh

loong

p.s two attainments are described as ,a meditive state of non
thinking and the state of no perception

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none.

Few of the postings ,I have made in this thread are from a 50
lessons ,by VASUBANDA,a sage that was at the beginning of pschy-
cology ,and phylosophy of the Buddhist movement.

Thich Nhat Hanh ,when as young 16 year old monk,could not comprehend fully these 50 verses on the Nature of Consciousness
and had to come back often to fully understand,their true meanings.
So will I.

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

So let us us start on Consciousnesses.
The first one we will deal with is STORE CONSCIOUSNESS.
To Those whom are new to consciousness ,Store consciousness,in every day world is called Subconscious.These 2 last lines were added by myself to render the texts,easier as possible as recommanded by my Teacher Lisa.
According to the teachings Of Manifestation Only Buddhism.our
Mind has eight "consciousnesses".The first five are based in our physical senses. They are the consciousnesses that arise when our eyes see form,our ears hear sounds,our nose smells an odor, our tongue tastes something,or our skin touches an object.The sixth ,mind consciousness (manovijnana),arises when our Mind contacts an objet of perception.The seventh ,manas, is the part of of consciousness that give rise to and is the support of Mind consciousness.The eight ,Store consciousness
(alayavijnana),is the ground ,or base,of the other seven consciousnesses

Enough for now .
Master Thich Nhat Hanh

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Text from Wutai Mountain,China

The store consciousness is clear and undefinable.
Like a great river, it is always changing.
Neither pleasant nor unpleasant, when one becomes fully realized, it ceases to exist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
to all or none,

The Mind is a field.

Mind is a field
in which every kind of seed is sown.
This mind-field can also be called
"all the seeds"

Thich Nhat Hanh

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Store consciousness is neither the same nor different,
individual or collective,
Same and different inter-are.Collective and individual give rise to each other.

From ;Chapter True or not True.

Master Thich Nhat Hanh.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

The quality of our life
depends on the quality
of the seeds
that lie deep in our consciousness.

Master Thich Nhat Hanh

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

When sunlight shines,
it helps all vegetation grow.
When Mindfulness shines,
it tranforms all mental formations.

Master Thich Nhat Hanh

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

The present moment
contains past and future .
The secret of transformation
is in the way we handle THIS VERY MOMENT.

Master THich Nhat Hanh

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
This is about Manas!

With store consciousness as its support,
manas arises,
its function is mentation.
grasping the seeds it considers to be a "self"

as I wrote earlier there are things in Buddhism I do not Understand.

This is one of them. I know that in the 55,000 members are mutch more advanced then I am.So someone.HELP

loong

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I liked your first two posts on this page, Loong. The third one I don't understand either.

Last edited by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor; 09/02/13 02:00 PM.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: loongdragon
To all or none,
This is about Manas!

With store consciousness as its support,
manas arises,
its function is mentation.
grasping the seeds it considers to be a "self"

as I wrote earlier there are things in Buddhism I do not Understand.

This is one of them. I know that in the 55,000 members are mutch more advanced then I am.So someone.HELP

loong

What is the context before and after this part Loong?

I am familiar with 'manas' as being that part of our mind that is linked to us acting, in terms of thoughts, words, and deeds. So to me this seems to have to do with the way this kind of thinking and the ways we act, think or speak in the world keep us attached to ourselves as individuals, keeps us attached to our separate volition. This is one of the main ways we experience ourselves as 'separate' in the world, the foundation for ego or self.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Dear Teacher,

This is part 2 of the 50 verses of Nature of consciousness
Part 1-Store consciousness
Part 2-Manas
Part 3-Mind consciousness
Part 4- Sese Consciousness
Part 5-The Nature of Reality
Part 6-The path of Practice

Most of the 50 verses are easyly comprehended.Others !!!!!

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Went to the hospital emergency for about 5 hours today.Brought with me Understanding my mind.

What I read today,just the part I read,a book could be written
on it.The last pages were on Right Effort,explained so clearly ,so full of love.
There is too mutch text to be given to this post.Everything I read,I understood and felt it entered my non-self.
Buy this book.

Loong.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Dear Teacher,

This is part 2 of the 50 verses of Nature of consciousness
Part 1-Store consciousness
Part 2-Manas
Part 3-Mind consciousness
Part 4- Sese Consciousness
Part 5-The Nature of Reality
Part 6-The path of Practice

Most of the 50 verses are easyly comprehended.Others !!!!!

loong

As, I see, so it is really organized according to the layers of the mind. Manas is the second, with 'store consciousness' as its foundation. So I think that makes sense then - 'mentation' is the first level of what we usually think of as thinking, and its the part connected to our will to act, speak and think. It's what triggers those actions as separate beings.

Buddhism Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
The seeds that we receive from our ancestors,friends, and society
are held in our consciousness, just as the earth holds the seeds that fall upon it.like the seeds in the earth,the seeds in our
store consciousness are hidden from us.We are seldom in contact with them.Only when they manifest in our mind consciousness do we become aware of them.When we feel happy,we may believe that there is no seed of anger in us.But as soon as someone irritates us,our seed of anger will make itself known.

loong,s comment: It is my belief ,that,this seed of anger has many
Facets to it.

Loong
Part of the Oneness

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yes, this is why being triggered is a gift. It shows us parts of ourselves that may have lay dormant for incarnations, and so we never realized we were not free of them. If we can work with them moment by moment, it is 1000 times more powerful than retreat. Not always an easy path though!

Buddhism Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Dear Lisa,

I beleive that any change is in some way difficult.
Becoming one's true self ,I beleive is the hardest.

Loong

In a few days I will retake my vows.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none

Again from TNH.

Habit energy is an important term in Buddhist psychology.Our seeds carry the habit énergies of thousand of years.The Sanskrit term for habit energy,is Vasana,means "to permeate ,"to impregnate.Because of habit energies WE ARE NOT ABLE to perceive things as they TRULY are.We interpret everything we see or hear in terms of our habit energy.If you crumble a sheet of paper ,it
is difficult to make it flat again .It has the the habit energy of being crumpled.We are the same.

loong's comment: I will go farther by saying that what is the true seed has been altered through eons and with the contacts we had ,had with it,in this life.

loong
Part of the Oneness

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

We have to recognize,embrace,and transform our negative habit energies and train ourselves,to have more positive habit energies.

These positives habits need to be cultivated,because our negative habits always push us to do and say things that bring suffering to ourselves and others.
Loong part of the Oneness.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
We will now enter chapter 8 ,Field of Perception.

Manifestations from Store Consciousness
Can be perceived directly in the mode of things in themselves,
as representations,or as mere images.
All are included in The eighteen elements of being.
In another post ,I will explain what are the eighteen elements
of being.

Loong son of the Universe

To all or none,

We have to recognize,embrace,and transform our negative habit energies and train ourselves,to have more positive habit energies.

These positives habits need to be cultivated,because our negative habits always push us to do and say things that bring suffering to ourselves and others.
Loong part of the Oneness.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

A few moments ago ,I had total proof of the workings of store
consciousness.

I am preparing to go to court for the prelemilary hearing of one
of the 2 persons that stabbed me in April /13.

Going to the Big city and to court ,I bought a suit ,shirt and tie.When I put the necktie around my neck I made the knot at lightning speed as if I made one yesterday .

I had not made a knot in over25 years.

So Store consciousness does not forget.

Loong
son of the Universe

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
But this is muscle memory, no? I guess that could be considered part of store consciousness, but I think it is really more about the imprinting of emotional patterns and perceptual frameworks...

Buddhism Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Dear Lisa,
So if you think it is more about the imprinting of emotional patterns and per ceptual frameworks,from where do these two
Originate from?

Loong
Mahayana Buddhist

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Dear Lisa,
So if you think it is more about the imprinting of emotional patterns and per ceptual frameworks,from where do these two
Originate from?

Loong
Mahayana Buddhist

It comes from all of our experiences, in this life and others, although some make more of an impression than others. But I am not sure something like being able to tie a tie-knot or ride a bicycle after many years of not doing so is really the same thing, because that is more muscle memory - our body remembering how to do something. That is what I was responding to in your post. At least in the system that I learned (and there are more than one classification so perhaps the one I learned is different from TNH's), bodily memories such as this are a different category than storehouse consciousness.

In the system I learned, storehouse consciousness has more do with karmic patterns - default reactions, triggers, and ways of perceiving that are so subconscious it can take many years of practice to really see them operating within ourselves. A default of judgement for example, or fear.

Last edited by Lisa - Buddhism; 12/31/13 04:26 PM.

Buddhism Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Dear Lisa,

Everything comes from somewhere.Muscle memory has to be stored somewhere!Just wikied Muscle memory,here is what is written:
In the early stages of empirical research of motor memory Edward Thorndike, a leading pioneer in the study of motor memory, was among the first to acknowledge learning can occur without conscious awareness.[6] One of the earliest and most notable studies regarding the retention of motor skills was by Hill, Rejall, and Thorndike, who showed savings in relearning typing skills after a 25 year period with no practice.[2] Findings related to the retention of learned motor skills have been continuously replicated in studies, suggesting that through subsequent practice, motor learning is stored in the brain as memory. This is why performing skills such as riding a bike or driving a car are effortlessly and 'subconsciously' executed, even if someone had not performed these skills in a long period of time.[2].

As you can see ,the scientist refers to Subconsciouly.I see store concsiousness as the subconscious.
Since I started reading the book by TNH ,In my mind the term used ,store consciousness ,is his or Buddhism way of calling the subconscious.

With respect
loong

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
But doesn't TNH distinguish between the different manas, with the physical ones a different type than store consciousness? That is the model I am most used to.

Of course as you know, I don't really think it matters that much. I view all of the Buddhist psychological and philosophical models as means to an end. They are not about discovering 'the truth'. They are upaya, or skillful means - models for our mind to grasp that support practice. So if viewing muscle memory in this way has caused something to 'click' for you in terms of your own understanding about how your own mind works, then that is what matters.

Buddhism Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Dear Teacher,

Thank you.

Loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
What ,I like about this text,it speaks of Anger.

All manifestations bear the marks
Of both the individual and collective.
The maturation of store consciousness functions in the same way
In its participation in the different stages and realms of being.

Only when the seeds hidden in the depths of our consciousness
Mature and manifest in our mind consciousness do we become aware of them.When our anger and sorrow are dormant,we cannot see them.But when we become angry,our face reddens,our voice rises,the seed of our anger has ripened and we notice it.The seeds of anger were there before we became angry ,but they were hidden in our store consciousness.If we had said "I am not angry ,"this would not have been correct.The seeds of anger were there even though they had not yet manifested.

Master THICH NHAT HANH

Loong,s comment:From what I have read ,and meditated,the seeds of anger,must come when Karma transfered at rebirth ,or from seeing ,hearing others get angry.!

Loong
Mahayana Buddhist.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loong,s comment:From what I have read ,and meditated,the seeds of anger,must come when Karma transfered at rebirth ,or from seeing ,hearing others get angry.!

I think both of these plant the seeds, but then our experiences growing up add to it. Neuroscientists now know that so much of our emotional patterning is 'written' into our brain in early childhood. So yes, the expressions of anger from those around us when we are children will plant more seeds, and join with any karmic seeds of anger we have brought in with us.

But then there is the issue of fears and safety too. From a psychological perspective, anger is a defensive reaction - usually fear is triggered first. And so we are more prone to angry reactions if we have a fundamental feeling of not being safe. This is why trauma survivors so often have issues with anger. The trauma creates a pattern of always feeling unsafe, of never quite feeling safe no matter what the circumstances, and then as soon as that feeling of being unsafe is triggered, the anger rises up as a defense - as a way of trying to 'fend off' whatever lack of safety we perceive. And if we did not feel safe as a child, these patterns can be very deeply written, into our neural pathways. It takes time to 'rewrite' them, but it can be done.

And so to work with anger I think it's really important to look at the underlying fears and insecurities...the anger is usually the second layer, the fears and insecurities are the root layer...

My favorite part about this TNH passage is this:

Only when the seeds hidden in the depths of our consciousness
Mature and manifest in our mind consciousness do we become aware of them.When our anger and sorrow are dormant,we cannot see them.But when we become angry,our face reddens,our voice rises,the seed of our anger has ripened and we notice it.The seeds of anger were there before we became angry ,but they were hidden in our store consciousness.

I like this because it shows how really it is a blessing when we are triggred, because it shows us what is still not free within us. It's easy to cut ourselves off from life, and I think some spiritual seekers do this, but then it's easy to get 'tricked' into feeling as if we are liberated, when in fact there are many things lying dormant within us.

So although it's hard, every time we are triggered is truly an opportunity for working with ourselves, and for growth.

Buddhism Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Dear Teacher,

I am in total agreement,with you,completing with more data.

Always respectful
_/\_
Loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Those that have read me on a regular basis,are aware that I have been having terror nitemares for years.
Ihave just awaken from or by one.
I fight ,with my mother ,in which I tell her ,no I yell at her ,crying saying that she killed me Inside,she killed me Inside.She never let me live when I was a child ,that is why I grew up all f...ed. up Inside.Still today at 67 years old ,the
source of all my anger ,got out in my dream ,the lack of love and affection during the time she was alive .As I write this ,I am slowly coming back to today ,to now .

My mother died ,I was 17 years old,and all those years after,
I pretended to myself that I forgave her for what she had done
to me.It seems I ,did not.

As I write this text ,I am trying to come back from the hellish
feeling ,I woke up in.I apologise for this post.Seeds of anger
can be very deeply hidden.The last few posts ,are what I beleive
uprooted this nitemare.When I was a child ,I hated my mother,I was so like her.Still am .
I thought that I had forgiven her,looks like .I did not

a 67 years old boy
Normand Joly

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all,

I am sorry for the post i have just written.
I wrote it for 2 reasons.One ,I had to write it to come out of the nitemare,Two to show everyone that there are still a lot of things hidden in our store consciousness,that we do not know about.I am still not feeling well after writing these 2 posts .
I don't want to go back to bed because the terror nitemare ,will continue.

loong

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Loong, I am so sorry that you had this difficult nightmare. Please be especially kind to yourself today. It takes time to decompress from a dream like that, because your psyche really went to the heart of the matter. Are you still going to therapy? If so, this is a wonderful dream to discuss there too.

Although it was difficult, I can't help but view this as a very good occurrence though, in your spiritual journey, because you are now dealing with the seeds of your fears and anger directly, instead of with just the effects or current triggers. It's like a wave has brought something to the surface of your mind, just like the ocean tides bring debris up to the beach. The good thing about that is that then we can clean the beach and get the debris out of the ocean, whereas if it isn't brought to the surface, it just stays sunk at the bottom of the ocean, wreaking havoc.

But you do need to be gentle with yourself. My own suggestion is not to try and force forgiveness. Instead focus on lovingkindness towards yourself. The rest will naturally occur as the processing continues.

Movement and healing nature are also great after a surfacing such as this. I am not sure what the weather is like there right now (probably cold!), but if there is any chance of a little walking in nature that would be great...

Buddhism Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Dear Teacher,

Thank you for your kind words.

Loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
We can create paradise or hell in our own Minds.

All manifestations of phenomena arise from our STORE CONSCIOUSNESS.

Looking into the seed of Anger in us,we can see its individual and
its collective nature.Our Anger has roots in our experience with our parents,teachers,friends,and our own lives.

Loong's comment:Someone asked me :What about my freedom of choice,if I only respond from seeds in my store consciousness?
My answer is the following.Even if my store consciousness sends me
the result of the seeds living inside my store consciousness,
I always have my Mind Consciousness,to help me deal with the reaction ,it can even change the view of the seed in my store consciousness. Whatever you live,always remember that Mind,and
Mind consciousness, is always the master/creator.

Loong
Mahayana Buddhist.
This is all for today.

P.S.Always remember that I cannot write the whole book ,I have to choose a phrase that will in some way resume the whole text read.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

People use drugs,liquid or solid,because they are in pain and want to run away from life.
Putting someone in prison like this in prison is not the way to solve the problem.There has to be love and understanding,some means of bringing him back into life,offering him joy,clarity,and purpose.

Loong,s comment:Being an addict myself ,you are never healed .from your addiction,whichever it is .May it be alcohol ,drugs,women,
Gambling,it is an every day fight,not to go back to the hell of addiction.
You may give love ,comprehension to an addict ,but if he has not hit button of his sufferings,these will do nothing to him/her.
On January 17 the 2014 ,I will be clean and sober for 37 years,
plus 36 years of smoking.I have learned to live in various groups for addicts,one day at the time.
Luckily for me ,Buddhism has thought me to live one moment at the time.
So if anyone out there is stuck with an addict or is an addict,
the only thing that will rid you of your addiction cravings ,is a spiritual experience,there exists no other way out,oh yes ,there is death,mentally affected for life or prison.
Loong
Addict,but clean and sober.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
I believe this post ,to be ,for me,one of the most important text ,I ever read and copied for you.

Verses 28,29,30,describe the nature and characteristics of the five sense consciousness of eye,ear,nose,tongue,and body.We have already learned something about these five consciousnesses,in our discussion of the store consciousness, manas,and Mind consciousness
Is the base of manas,and manas,is the base of Mind consciousness
these five sense consciousnesses are based in the sixth consciousness, Mind Consciousness.
All eight consciousnesses are in this way connected and interdependent.

The sense from which these five consciousnesses arise are sometimes referred to : Gates:because all of the objects of our perception -
All dharmas-enter our consciousness through sensory contact with them.For this reason ,it is Important to Learn to Guard these gates into our consciousness, to choose,wisely what we allow to enter and become Seeds.
The way we do this is through MINDFULNESS
….….…...............................................................
Text by TNH

Loong the messenger.

Last edited by loongdragon; 01/21/14 01:42 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yes and when we think of mindfulness this way it has another whole level to it, doesn't it? And also this teaching brings a great appreciation for the body, as it is what allows us to have these sense perceptions - these gates. The body is our vehicle for learning and practicing dharma, it is not a hindrance to it. I think this is such an important realization, because many spiritual teachings seem to pit mind against body.

Buddhism Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Important to remember that ,the 50 verses and Understanding our Mind ,is from the same book .Understanding our mind are more complete explanations of the 50 verses.

I often jump from one chapter to the other.
This one is called No Fear ,the 50 th chapter.

Buddhis texts speak of three kinds of gifts-material resources,sharing the Dharma with others,and NON-FEAR which is

THE GREATEST,gift.

TNH

Loong the messenger.☺

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Forty -Six

We recognize internal knots and latent tendencies
So we can transform them.
When our habit energies dissipate,
transformation at the base is there.

Forty-Seven

The present moment
Contains past and future.
The secret transformation
Is in the way we handle this very moment.

.........WOW..……...........………........

Loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
From chapter 37.

When a seed gives rise to a formation,
it is the primary cause.
The subject of perception depends on the object of perception.
This is an object as cause.
There are four kinds of conditions that help things to manifest.All
Phenomena have a seed in store consciousness.This is the seed cause,the cause as condition.If you plant a kernel of corn in the soil,it will bring about a corn plant.The seed or kernel ,is the primary cause(hetu-pratyaya).If a sunflower seed falls into the soil,it is a primary cause of the sunflower plant that will grow there.The primary cause however,is not enough on its own to bring about the plant.Soil,air,sunshine,minerals,and water are also needed in order for the corn or sunflower to fully manifest.These
Are called supporting causes and are discussed in the next verse.
That verse being:36.

Loong
the messenger.😇

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Today the text is taken from the chapter #33.Birth or Death.

If I show you my hand ,you cannot see my ability to do Calligraphy,
but that does not mean that this capacity does not exist.It is
Simply avijnapti,unmanifestated.If I were to take a piece of paper and a bruhh and make some movement with my hand,you would then see its capacity to do calligraphy.
It would then be vijnapti,manifested.
A manifestation means that both a subject of perception have manifested.
Birth and Death depend on conditions.
Production and disintegration depend on conditions.
Consciousness does not manifest only as the subject of perception ,the perceiver.Where there is manifestation of consciousness,it is
At the same time ,both aspects of perceptions perceiver and perceived.

Loongs comment: There cannot be sea if it is not ridden,there is grass when one walks on it.There is Life when there is death.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Been working for a while on the store cosciousness.
About 2 weeks ago, I had an incredible terror Nitemare,regarding my Mother.We never loved each other ,I beleive.
This morning again at 7.30 am woke up from another terrible nitemare,thistime about an associate I had over 10 years ago.
As I write this .I can barely type.My hands are shaking ,my heart is pounding.Another chunk of frustration,hate,came out this morning.Both times I had thought ,I had made in my mind peace with them .

I do not like to say beware, but please do not cover up in your store consciousness,the hate or frustration you might have ,
towards people.
I have been working on my agressivity for more than 2 years now.

I know there is some left ,but I thank Buddha and the Universe,
to have been directed towards this book.

I am becoming a better individual, it is a hard war.The seeds of hanger ,I beleive in some cases ,for a while are stronger than the seeds of love.

LOVE always prevails.

Thank you for reading my ranting and may you be at peace with yourself

loong
Mahayana Buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

This a semi serious post !

At what age and condition are we too old to shovel snow?

When we decide so!

loong
Not too banged up to shovel snow.:)

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Seeds are produced and strengthened by formations.Formations are manifestations of seeds.Not only mental formations come from the seeds in our store consciousness, but physiological formations also are manifestations from seeds in our store consciousness.

Loong
Sharing😇

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Subject of text is Mind Consciousnes,

As we have learned,manas is the base of mind consciousness,and
because the mode of perception of manas is always erronous,
much of what we perceive in our mind consciousness is also false.Because the nature of manas is obscured, our mind consciousness is often also covered over by delusion.(ignorance)
as well-direct or inferred.When our mind consciousness is able to perceive things DIRECTLY,
it is capable of touching the Realm of SUCHNESS.

TNH

loong
simple Messenger.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Taken from chapter #9.

We can create paradise or hell in our minds.

All manifestations of phenomena arise from our store consciousness.

Looking into the seed of anger(peace worst enemy) in us,we can see it individual and its collective nature.Our anger has roots in our experiences with our parents,teachers,friends,and our own lives.

Because all manifestation has both an individual and collective aspect,it would not be correct to say that a young man in prison bears the whole responsibility for his crime,he is the product of his family and I add absence of one,his schooling ,or lack of, and

This is from me : The INDIFFERENT society.

TNH
LOONG
MESSENGER AND PARTICIPANT.

Loong's comment:For those who are not regulars ,I was stabbed
Last April,in the back by a 19 to 20 year old young man stoned to death .He took me for an undercover cop or a narc.
This boy ,lives in one of the worst section of his town,his domain is about a 125 feet long,sure he can,t read
Nor write correctly,.There is no way ,I will be mad at that young boy and accomplice.No one ever took the time to love him.

I do

Loong
A simple Buddhist

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I love the new picture of you!

Suchness - we never did bring over our private thread on that to here did we. Maybe we can add a bit on suchness now. Suchness is the direct perception of reality without any mental modifications. This arises when we have cut through all layers of obscuration - manas et al. We use the word 'arises' because it isn't something we 'attain' - it is simply there when we see through all of the other layers that usually capture our attention.

Buddhism Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To Lisa my Teacher,
Funny yesterday did more research on Suchness.
Here is what I found.

As aresult ,the Mind can see unconditionned events in their Suchness.
To its own suchness ,unrestrained,uninfluenced by anything of any sort.

loong
buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none

Store consciousness is the garden,mind consciousness the gardener.THE gardener has faith in the earth and entrusts to it
seeds he considers to be important.Store consciousness has the power to maintain,nourish ,and bring forth what we expect to have.In the practice of meditation ,we trust our store consciousness.We plant seeds in the soil of our store consciousness,and we water those seeds.We trust that one day the seeds will sprout and bring forth plants,flowers and fruit.
Thich Nhat Hanh

loong
Messenger and learner.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

We are capable of reaching the field of things in themselves,the
world of Such ness,but because we think and discriminate we don't
usually perceive things as they truly are.The nature of our mind is obstructed(parikalpita).This means that we build a world full of illusion for ourselves because of the distorted way we perceive reality.Meditation is to look deeply in order to arrive at reality
First the reality of ourselves and then the reality of the world.To get to that reality,we have to let go of the images we create in
our consciousness and our notions of self and other,inside and
outside.Our practice is to correct this tendency to discriminate and think dualistically ,so that reality will have a chance to reveal itself.

Loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Earlier,in the Buddha said section ,the Five remembrances were listed..
SO ,The practice of the Five Remembrances helps us face our fears
Directly and not see them as enemies.They are us.Our happiness,our suffering,our love,and our anger are all us.We treat all mental formations in the same way,in the spirit of non-duality.We do not turn ourselves into a battlefield ,with one side fighting the other.Some traditions teach just that-the right must do battle
to overcome the wrong.In Buddhism,we see both sides as ourselves
and we try to accept and look after all parts of ourselves,recognizing their interdependent nature.Our afflictions,our unwholesome mental formations,must be accepted before they can be transformed.The more we fight them,the stronger they become.The more we repress them,the more significant they become.

Great text.

Loong
Buddhist,part of the Oneness.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

What can we do to transform our deep rooted seeds of suffering?
There are 3ways…I will have to resumate each one ,the texts being
very long.

1-The first way ,let these seeds lie in our store consciousness
Sow new seeds good ones,peace,joy,happiness.The Mind consciousness sends these new seeds to the store,so they interact and transform seeds of suffering .This is called indirect transformation.

2-Practice constant Mindfulness, it allows us to recognize the bad seeds as they arise.When they arise as a mental formation,in our Mind consciousness, we bathe them in the light of Mindfulness.
As the bad seeds are touched they weaken.
With Mindfulness ,we can recognize them and NOT BE AFRAID.

3-The third is for those who are pretty mindful only.
So in the 3rd way ,the way to deal with the seeds that have been with us since childhood to deliberately invite them up into our Mind consciousness,. When our Mindfulness is strong and
Stable, we do not have to wait for the seeds of suffering, to arise Unexpectedly.We know they are lying there in the basement of our store consciousness and we invite them up into our Mind Consciousness. Loong,s comment,:-) I would call this third one the Direct Approach.
Let the games( changes) begin.........

Loong
Ready as always.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Although Mind and objects of Mind are considered two different
Fields,in fact,they are One.Mind is the perceiver and objects
of Mind are The perceived.But perceiver and perceived can never be separated;they make one whole.Objects of mind do not arise independently of Mind_including the body,the feelings,and all other mental formations_are products of Mind.
Text by THICH NHAT HANH.

Loong
Simple messenger and learner.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Some of you might not have heard of supramondane powers.

I possess a few.On my way to my favorite restaurant ,where I do all
My research ,I saw myself sitting at a table I prefer.Really saw
Myself.As I am reading this I AM SITTING AT MY TABLE.In some
Other post ,I will explain what these powers are.

Loong
Buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

From the chapter" Ripening &Emancipation( seeds in store consciousness).

The ripening of phenomena happens in three ways.

1)RIPENING AT DIFFERENT TIMES.
Suppose we pick a custard apple,a bunch of bananas,and a jackfruit and put them away.The custard apple will ripen first,then the bananas,and finally the jackfruit.The seeds that our parents ,grandparents,and,friends sow and water in us always ripens sooner
Or later.There is no need to ask,"Why am I not transformed when I have studied so many teachings of the Buddha?Why do I still not
Feel peace and joy when I have practiced walking meditation so much?Each seed ripens in its own time.Our practice is simply to water the positive seeds in ourselves.We should have confidence that if we continue to water a certain seed,it will germinate and grow.
2)RIPENING OF DIFFERENT VARIETIES.
An unripe banana becomes a ripe banana-it can never become a ripe custard apple.
3)RIPENING AND CHANGING.

When something ripens,many of its aspects change completely.An unripe orange is green and sour.A ripe one is orange and sweet
Text by THICH NHAT HANH,

Loong the messenger and learner.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Looking at the present ,we see that if we continue to water and sow these wholesome seeds,our peace and joy will be even greater in the future.The way we are now is the sum of action A plus B .When
We look deeply at our mind,we see the level of happiness ,ease,and freedom in ourselves.Then we slowly shed light on what we have done in the past,the people who have helped us,the things we have put into practice that today brings us this sense of happiness,ease,freedom.And we also look into what actions-as-csause we have made that result in our being angry,sad,and jealous.To find the seeds from actions done in the past ,we need to look at the fruits in the present moment.
Text by THICH NHAT HANH

LOONG
Messenger and Buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
The three stages in the verse above refer to all nine levels of the
3 realms.the realm of desire,the four states of meditative concentration (dhyana)of the realm of form,and the four levels of
The realm of non-form.
The nine stages are
1)The Realm Of Desire
2)The Brahma Heaven
3)The Pure Heaven of Great Light.
4)The Everywhere Pure Heaven.
5)The Heaven of Non-Perception
6)The Realm of Limitless Space
7)The Realm of Limited Consciousness
8)The Realm of No Object
9)The Realm of No Perception.

Text by TNH

Loong
messenger.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
All nine stages exist within us.
Maturation is the ripe fruit of our consciousness. At the time of maturation,our consciousness seeks to dwell in the stage that is closest to the sum of our actions.If we have an action in our store consciousness associated, with the addiction to cocaine,the force of attraction of like to like naturally leads us to associate with others who like and use drugs.Maturation of the fruit in consciousness, leads us toward one of the realms in a very deep way.
TNH

Loong
Ex-addict,Buddhist.
P.s.What I find is that the Master does not speak of the destruction these drugs bring.Ever seen 2needles in an arm?I did.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Even though store consciousness never ceases,this doesn't mean that
It is always the same.like a river it changes continually.store consciousness is the same .It is the river,and the seeds it contains are like the water that is changing all the time.
The term ,MENTAL FORMATIONS,is a very important term inBuddhism,and it is one we will encounter throughout this book.
A mental formation is the result of the manifestation of a seed in our store consciousness. The Manifestation Only school divides mental formations into fifty one categories,which l
have already listed in a prior post.To understand this verse,we need to know that there are five Universal mental formations
Contact
Attention
Feeling,
Perception/conceptualization
Volition.
These 5 mental formations are associated,which means they are engaged with each other .They are called universal because they are active in all eight consciousness es.

Loong

Buddhist,just that

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,The store consciousness does not engage in thinking,comparing,or imagining.Its mode of Perception is always ..
Direct.Therefore ,the mode of the Five Universal mental formations as they function with the Store Consciousness is also always direct.In the eight Consciousness, contact is direct;mental attention is direct;and feeling,perception,and volition are also direct.But this is not necessarily true of the functioning of these five mental formations in the other consciousness es,because the nature and qualities of the other consciousness es differ.
The five universals are not separate from the mind-the Mind is the content of the Mind.

Loong sharing the text from the book: Understanding our Mind.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Text from the chapter called: The Three Dharma Seals.

Impermanence,Nonselfand Nirvana are called the Three Dharma Seals.
The Buddha speaks of them as the keys to open the door to Realty,to touch every phenomenon Deeply.Mindfulness is the energy we can use to be on touch with phenomena in the Realm of form.

Loong
Buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
following the above post, I made some research on The Three Dharma Seals.There is ,depending of the lineage many texts ,explaining Impermanence,The one ,I have chosen a text taken in Access to insight,by Master Nyanaponika Thera.He is of the Theravada lineage.So here is his explanation of Impermance:

The perceiving of impermanence, bhikkhus, developed and frequently practiced, removes all sensual passion, removes all passion for material existence, removes all passion for becoming, removes all ignorance, removes and abolishes all conceit of "I am."

Just as in the autumn a farmer, plowing with a large plow, cuts through all the spreading rootlets as he plows; in the same way, bhikkhus, the perceiving of impermanence, developed and frequently practiced, removes all sensual passion... removes and abolishes all conceit of "I am."

If you read the text carefully he also touches the removal of an "I"/nonself,being the second Dharma Seal.

I have also read that some Mahayana lineages consider that there are Four Seals !

Loong's comment: My simple way of seeing Impermanence is the fact that nothing is eternal.Everything,everyone has a beginning and an End,That is the reason ,that an Eternal Creator God cannot exist.

loong
simple Buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
The second word in The Three Dharma Seals,is Non-Self.
Again the text that I chose comes from Access to Insight .
The beautiful text that I kept only a part is by Master
Sister Kheima.

everywhere; to be seen in oneself. And that is what is called anatta, non-self. Empty of an entity. There is nobody there. It is all imagination. At first that feels very insecure.

That person that I've been regarding with so much concern, that person trying to do this or that, that person who will be my security, will be my insurance for a happy life — once I find that person — that person does not really exist. What a frightening and insecure idea that is! What a feeling of fear arises! But as a matter of fact, it's just the reverse. If one accepts and bears that fright and goes through it, one comes to complete and utter relief and release.

loong's comment: I have read a few years ago a text ,stating the fact that ,our lives are in "reality A present moment,how could one be called "I".

loong
buddhist emptying not Learning.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Text taken at access to Insight ,not signed
The approach I used ,you will see is different.

...and in terms of what it is not

"There is that dimension where there is neither earth, nor water, nor fire, nor wind; neither dimension of the infinitude of space, nor dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, nor dimension of nothingness, nor dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; neither this world, nor the next world, nor sun, nor moon. And there, I say, there is neither coming, nor going, nor stasis; neither passing away nor arising: without stance, without foundation, without support [mental object]. This, just this, is the end of stress."

— Ud 8.1

"There is, monks, an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that emancipation from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, emancipation from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned."

— Ud 8.3

Where water, earth, fire, & wind have no footing:
There the stars do not shine,
the sun is not visible,
the moon does not appear,
darkness is not found.
And when a sage,
a brahman through sagacity,
has known [this] for himself,
then from form & formless,
from bliss & pain,
he is freed.

— Ud 1.10

Theravada text

loong
Learning,

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none.
In The Mahayana Lineage ,a buddha or arahat,will return to the Realm of men as a Bodhisattva,to try to bring all sentient beings to Enlightenment.

loong
simple buddhist ,with no lineage.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Seeds and Formations
Both have the nature of inter being and interpenetration.
The one is produced by the all .
The all is dependent on the one.

Short but needs thinking.

Loong
Simple Buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

The present moment contains past and future.this is a teaching from the Avatamsaka Sutra.The one contains the all(I would call that Oneness).Time contains space.When we are in contact with the present moment,We are in contact with all time ,including the past
And the future.Since time also contains space,the present moment
also contains this place and all other places.Standing on the Earth's surface,dwelling in the present moment,the ground under our feet is boundless.Standing in Paris,we see that we are standing on the whole of Europe.And if we remain firmly and solidly in the present moment,we see that we are also standing on Asia,the Americas,Africa,and the whole earth.In the present moment,we are able to touch the whole world and the whole Universe.

The Present Moment,by THICH NHAT HANH.

Loong
simple Buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
This text is regarding the way of looking at our subconscious or store consciousness.

Humanistic psychology,a later branch of the western psychological tradition ,says that we do not need to go into the past;we need to give more attention to the present.Carl Rogers,one of the leading figures of humanistic psychology,proposed the five following guidelines:
1)We should give primary importance to the present instead of to the past;
2)When there is a feeling ,we should give attention to that feeling rather than looking for its source in the past;
3)We should use the raw materials of the conscious mind rather than the raw materials of the unconscious mind;
4)We should assume immediate responsibility for whatever arises in the sphere of our feelings,and
5)If we give our attention to making our life peaceful and joyful now,quite naturally our illness will lessen.

Tomorrow, we shall see the Bhuddist psychology side.

Loong
simple Buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none
Yesterday ,we saw the scientific view of the store consciousness
As promised today we shall look at the Buddhist side.

Buddhist psychology contains elements of both these approaches.Buddhism sees all the information in the Mind consciousness as coming from the unconscious mind,the store consciousness. Seeds of suffering in the store consciousness, when
Manifested in Mind consciousness, create more suffering.Freud's notion of the unconscious as the key to suffering is similar,except in its emphasis on examining past events-which have down the seeds
of suffering in the store consciousness-rather than transforming their manifestation as mental formations in the present.
THICH NHAT HANH

Loong
simple Buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

As we learned in Verse 45,Buddhist practice offers three methods of treating suffering that come from seeds of past sufferings.First
We get in contact with what is healthy,refreshing,and beautiful in the present;Second we practice Mindfulness to recognize the painful feelings as they arise;and third ,when we are ready ,we invite the painful feelings up into our mind consciousness where we can touch them with our Mindfulness and transform them.All three of these
Methods focus on the present moment,because the Past and the Present inter-are.The present already contains the past.This is the truth of inter being.Through the Energy of mindfulness we recognize what is happening in the present moment and we are able to discover its basis.THICH NHAT HANH of the Mahayana lineage.

Loong
simple buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
When irritation or dispair arise in us,first of all we have to
Responsibility for it.I have the greatest responsibility for my anger,but my brother also has the some responsabability for it.It
Was he who said the words that weathered the seeds of anger in my store consciousness. My sister ,too,has some responsibility,
because my anger has a collective nature and she is also part of the collective,even though she has not said or done anything to water those seeds.

All phenomena have an individual and a collective nature.suffering
Is not only an individual manifestation from many generations and from society.There in no one,therefore,who is not co-responsible
for what takes place in me.The responsibility is more or less ,according to the person and circumstances.And ,by the same token ,I am co-responsible for what takes place in those around me.

Loong' comment :For 35 years ,I have been fighting this way of thinking.I do believe in the Oneness of the human g
being and sentient ones also.However,I am not responsible in any way for the wars that are going on right now,all the murders rapes abuses,I do not have to carry the karma of the humanity.
Let us say ,I say a phrase to 2 different individuals,one will laugh at it ,the other maycry because of it.
I alone am responsible for my sufferings,no one else.

Loong
part of the Oneness simple Buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
It is very important for us to take responsibility for what is
happening in our Mind.We are 90%responsible for our anger,so we don't blame others,even if they played a direct or indirect part in bringing about our anger.Rather than waste time searching for
reasons for our anger,we instead use our energy to take care of it.When a feeling of suffering arises,we embrace it with the energy of Mindfulness. We do this for all our ancestors as well as for future generations.

Loong
simple buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
From the book Understanding our Mind.

The basic method of healing is to be mindful of refreshing and
beautiful things in the present moment.This simple method is not as well known ,celebrated ,and widely practiced as it could be.It is easy to take Joy and Peace granted.When everything is running smoothly,no one says anything about it.When someone smiles beautifully,it is not printed in the newspaper.But when someone gets so angry that he kills another person,that is considered news.

With the first method,we are not consciously healing ourselves,
healing takes place indirectly.There are also direct forms of healing.There are also direct forms of healing.The ManifestationOnly teachings say that it is possible not only to use Mindfulness to recognize our suffering as it arises so that it becomes less strong,but we can then invite it into our conscious mind in order to transform it directly.In this way ,these teachings go further than the humanistic psychology approach..

TNH
Loong
Simple Buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none
Text byTHICH NHAT HANH.
The roots of our suffering and ignorance can all be found in our store consciousness, the base.
,in the present moment.So the intelligent thing to do is make the present moment beautiful and fresh ,to transform it.It isn't necessary to say,"We have to suffer today in order to have peace
and Joy tomorrow,or "This is not my teal home,I will wait until I am in paradise to be happy.We want to take care of the future.But

The future will be made only of one substance:the present moment.The best way to take care of the future is to do our best to take care of the present moment.It is not helpful to get lost in the past or the future.When we are lost ,we cannot take care of the present ,the past,the future.The secret of transformation at the base lies in our handling of this very moment with Mindfulness.
If we know how to handle the present moment,not only will we live deeply each moment of our lose,but we can also transform the past and build a future.

Man does this Master write beautiful truths.

Loong
simple Buddhist,and relearning every instant.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
to all or none,
dwelling in the present moment does not prevent us from looking into the past and the future.grounded in the present.we can survey the past or look to the future and learn aot ,but it isn,t helpfulto get lost in them.the secret of transformation at the baselies in our handling of this very moment .we have to practice
Mindfulness in every moment.If we know how to touch deeplythe present moment,we can also touch and even change the past.in the past i made a mistake and made someone suffer.The scar of suffering is still in me,and it is still in the other person as well.
With the energy of Mindfullness I can recognize thr wound in myself,and I can say to the person I harmed,;I am sorry ,i will never do that again."My parebts and grandparents are still there in the past,wether manifestated or not manifestated.IF we make ourself truly present in the here and in the NOWe can see them smilingto us.

Text fromMASTER THICH NHAT HANH.

loong
learningmore deeply,simple buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Text from MASTER THICH NHAT HANH.

The determintion egin anew is a very powerful energy.It can help
begin to heal our wounds right away and releive our sufferings
and the suffering of others.We can help many people be liberated
from their guilt by offering them this kind of teaching and practice.

THE DISCOURSE OF LIVING HAPPILY in the present moment is the most ancient teaching on this subject.The Buddha said many times that his teaching was to jelp people to have peace and Joy in the present moment,which would guarantee noy only their present happiness but their future appiness as well.
If the present can be joyfull ,the future can also be joyful.The Sanskrit phrase:Drishta-dharma-sukkha-viharin:sums this up.Drishta means what cn be seen ,touched and realized in the present moment.

DHARMA means phenomena, SUKHA means HAPPINESS.VIHARIN, means
abiding ."Touching the present moment,we abide in in HAPPINESS."
There are always internal and external conditions to make us Happy in the present moment.

It keeps getting and getting more profound and more Happy.loong

loong
simple buddhist,and blissful

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
to all or none ,

just made some research on the Discourse of living happily.

Could not find anything in Thera lineage howeverMaster THICH NHAT HANH WRITE A BOOK ON IT.
I will order it from amazone

loong
always searching

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

This is not to deny that there are also elements of suffering in us and around us .But the elements of suffering do not remove the elements of Happiness.If we touch only elements of suffering
we are not really livingSome people become imprisonned in their
suffering.Whereever they look ,hey see what is wrong,what is hurtful.They may know in principle that the flower is beautiful and the sunset is Majestic,but they are not able to touch them There is a wall surrounding them that prevents them from being in contact with the flower,the sunset.and all the wonders of the natural world and the present moment that are always available to them.

If these people could touch the healthy and beautiful things that lie within them and around them ,their suffering would decrease.
It is not enough to touch our suffering . We have to be in touch with the healthy and wonderful things in life as well.To do this a group of friends ,who smile,share with us ,understand us,and take steps with us ,in freedom to help us out of our world of darkness.

From a book by THICH NHAT HANH.

Loong's comment:I was that person.for most of my life,where I disagree with TNH ,is the suffering person is the only one that can change itself,others can't.Whom do you know that will take you out of your personnal hell,YOU,try to make friends when everything that comes out of your mouth is suffering.
I am sure ,TNH was raised in a Sangha ,I was not,I was raised in a self made mental prison,where only I had the key.

loong
ex-sufferer in this Now,simple dhamma warrior and buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,If a feeling of suffering ariseswe embrace it with the energy of Mindfulness.We dothat fo all our ancestors and for future generations.The suffering is not an individual manifestation
but a collective manifestation from many generations and from society. We are not the only one responsible.

From a book by TNH

loong
simple buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

from the book Understanding our Mind by TNH.

Space,time,and the Four Great Elements
are all manifestations of consciousness.In the process of interbeing and interpenetration,
our store consciousness ripens in every moment

Every Dharma ,every phenomenom ,is conditioned.Conditioned Dharmas
are combinations of other elements . A flower per example s made
of the elements of clouds ,sunshine seeds,minerals,and so on.In the past the Buddhist Masters taught that there are some dharmas that are not conditioned .They said that space is not conditiuoned by anything and so t is an unconditioned dharma .But we know that just
as a flower is made on-flower elements ,space is also,made f non-
space elementsso it it too,is a conditionned dharma.

loong
simple buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
TO ALL OR NONE,

THE FOUR GREAT ELEMENTS,are earth,water,fire and air.They are the
four energies of the material Universe..Earth is the energy of Solidity.Water is fluid and penetrating.Fire is heat and warmth.Air is the force that leads to movement.These four energies can be transformed into other energies.A waterfall can become electricity and light.We should not think of these four elements as separate or independant.They depend on one another.
Sometimes space and consciousness are added to these four elements
make six elements.Sometimes time and direction brings the list
to eight.All the elements including space and time ,are manifestations of consciousness.

loong's comment: I have been writing for over a year now on various subjects,It is so clear that everything is Illusions created by our Mind consciousness.If I am unconscious,there is no pain,no happiness,no thoughts,no actions,no wind no sun no birds no leaves

There is only...NO THING....
So remember EVERYTHING IS MERE ILLUSIONS.

loong
simple buddhist
n.b. the text written over tat period were and are to explain the workings of such Mind when we are conscious.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Text from the book by TNH Understanding our mind.We usually think of space as something empty.But physycists have shown that when matter is diluted ,it becomes space.The theory of relativity shows that space and matter are one realityIf there is no space,there is no matter.Is there is no matter there is no space.Space-a seemingly empty phenomenom-is able to bend matter,a seemingly solid phenomenom .We look at a galaxy and it appears curved .If you put a branch in a glass vase filled with water .the branch will look as though it is curved ,or broken.

Loong's little comment : getting scientific .Tomorrow shall shed more light.

loong
simple buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Time is also energy.Time makes space ,and space makes time.Outside of time there can be no space.Outside of space,there can be no time.Einstein has said that time and space are two aspects of the same reality.

Let us go togrther climb the nameless mountain.
let us sit on the ageless blue-green stone,
quietly watching time weave the silken thread hat creates the dimension called space.
n.b.rom a collection of poems by TNH 1999

loong
simple buddhist
From the book Understanding our mind.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

The text cited in this post is from the book Understanding our Mind
by MASTERTHICH NHAT HANH

"consiousness manifests in many forms.Consciousness is an energy that helps from earth ,water,FIRE and air.The four great elements.
Each of the elements contain s all the others.We cannot separate reality into pieces and say that that piece is not that piece.
We know that that piece includes all the other pieces.One energy includes another like the waterfall that gives energy to produce electric light.Our body is in an energy and so is our thinking.Each energy influences all the others .This is INTERBEING."

loong:s comment:This is what i call Oneness.

loong
simple buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Thanks to the reading the writing ,processing the comprehension of the book"Understanding our Mind" ,What I knew of the workings of the sub/unconscious ,were confirmed and made clearer,having thought the working of the subconscious for 12 years to about
10,000 seatings minimum.

I discovered also that MIND is! What ..Mind is! How it creates all that we live . Without the reading of that book .I would not know of the true Creator.

loong
a simple buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
This book is from Master Thich Nhat Hanh,Titled Understanding our Mind.
The text that follows is taken from this book

"In Western logic the principle of Identity ,says that A is only an A .and not B.A flower can only be a flower.It cannot be a cloud.But this principle is based on the notion that things are permanent and
have a seperate self.The Buddhism begins by using the idea of nonself to help us look deeply in the nature of things.Nonself is an aspect of impermanence.Although impermanence is usually understood in terms of time and nonselfin terms of space, are one,and nonself and impermanence are also one .The only clear way to contemplate nonself is in the light of interbeing.Interbeing recognizes that A is B ,that this is also that.

Recall physicist DAVID BOMHS DESCRIPTION OF THE "EXPLICATE ORDER" AND the "implicate order".

In the explicate order we see things as existing outside and separate from all other things.In the implicate order ,we see that all things lie within other things.In the world of microscopic particles,one particle is made of all the other particles.Modern physicists are beginning to understand reality much in the way of the AVATAMSAKA SUTRA.

loong
learning and a d
simple buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none
Taken from the book by MASTER THICH NHAT HANH-NDERSTANDING OUR MIND.

"Interbeing and interpenetration are ripening all the time.Ripening,or maturation,(vipaka)eans the combination of many elements that bring about a result.To make soup,we put different ingredients in a pot.apply heat and wait.After a while ,the combination of elements becomes something delicious that we can eat.Maturation takes place in every moment.The maturation f Store consciousness takes place in EVERY MOMENT.EVERY DAY WE ARE BORN AGAIN."

ANOTHER GREAT TEXT.

Loong
a very simple buddhist
N.B. I have read some of these sentences so many times and they still overpower me.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none

The following text is from the book Understanding our mind,
by MASTER THICH NHAT HANH."
"store consciousness ripens in two ways-as our person and as our environment .In this moment we can touch the ripened fruit that is ourself,our friends ,and our world.Tomorrow ,that that ripened fruit will be diffferent- better or worse- depending on our individual and collective actions.In buddhism ,karma(action)takes 3 forms ; actions of body,speech,and mind.When our actions f body,speech,and mind are brought together,
they create the qualities of our happiness or suffering .We are
the author of our destiny.The quality of our being depends upon the quality of our prior actions.This is callled MATURATION."

loong
simple buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none

Some seeds take longer to ripen than others.Some maintain the same basic nature before and after ripening.Some are completely different before that seed ripens,we do not sing well and the melodies we compose are not very beautiful.As we practice more and more, the seed ripens and there is a change and the music we create
becomes re melodious.Ripening takes place in every moment.Our body,our consciousness,and the world are the matured fruits of this ripening.
Consciousness is as the heart of everything.Space,time,and the four great elements are all displays of consciousnous.All the nature of interbeing; lf we look deeply into one,we find the other five.Looking into place ,we see time and the other elements as well.

We have the power to create and arrive at a new maturation when we know how to transform the seeds in our store consciousness.We may think that a new maturation takes place only after we release
this body ,this actual manifestation of our eight consciousnesses.
But looking deeply ,we see that maturation takes place in every moment . We have the capacity to renew ourselves in every moment.

This is the last text, written n consequential order.The next
posts will be at random.

loong
simple buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

TRUE MIND
"
Independant manifestatios has two aspects,deluded by Mind and True
MIND.
Deluded Mind is imagenary construction.
TRUE MIND is fulfilled Mind.:

If we go in Tibetan buddhism ,the deluded mind would be called SEM
and TRUE MIND-RIGPA.

The top part of the text between brackets is Mahayana Lineage vocabulary m the book by TNH Understandig our MIND

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
to all or none,
The text is from UNDERSTANDING YOUR MIND by TNH.

The texts are selected at random from now on.However yesterday we saw TRUE_MIND .So today ill shed light on what True Mind means as per THICH NHAT HANH'S version,of the Mahayana Lineage.

"INTERDEPENDENT MANIFESTATIONS-The manisestation of all phenomena -should be viewed as resulting from both deluded Mind and true Mind.When our Mind is deluded it is overloaded with ignorance,illusion.anger and fear.True Mind is consciousness that
has been transformed and has the capacity of touching ultimate reality.A manifestation based on deluded Mind will bring suffering
and confusion.When we see people who suffer a lot of hatred ,pain and sorrow in their daily lives this is a manifestation based on deluded collective consciousness.A group of people living happily
together smiling loving and supportive of one and other,is a manifestation of a true collective consciousness.They know how to look at and touch things in the light of interbeing and interdependence."

Beautiful text is it not.If humanity instead of living on or with MARA would create a toghetherness based on loving kindness and compassion, peace would reign on this planet marred with deluted consciousness.

loong
simple buddhist.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Oh Loong,

The mind is a place (no pun intended) I could get lost in and enjoy every step of the way.

Everything, mind included, has the capacity of interchangeables, both negative and/or positive.

The capabilities are endless within each. Imagine a collective of positive waves - spiraling energies, passing through all those whom happen to either be in despair or simply on the wrong side of the track so to speak.

I'm not certain how exactly it works and unfortunately our world is vicariously unbalanced, however there is this network you speak of with both enlightenment and healing growing by the sec. together, as you've suggested. Thank you smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To Elleise,

I thank you,for that beautiful comment.The onlyway to change the deluted Minds of others is by living our lives as examples of what
Mindfulness can bring.
In A.A. they say :do not preach APPEALinstead in your way of speaking,LISTENING,acting,this way one will surely bring to the spiritual side the deluted ones.

With respect
Loong
simple buddhist

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Thanks Loong for well, the "thank-you." Each one received makes that of the stepping stones from which we walk our paths.

I implore those who happen to come across these words to BE, not just mindful and present (though THOSE, we're in dire-straights of needing however) but unafraid to BE what it is in your Soul, your heart, that calling, which when ignored can and quite often DOES bring about a dilution of sorts; that restlessness, anger, even discord in one's life.

The lumps and bumps, chaos, etc. they're merely the Universe's way of doing things, bringing us back around to the initiative...What it is, our TRUE-BEING was sent here to do for the collective we most certainly happen to be wink

Last edited by Elleise - Clairvoyance; 03/20/14 12:54 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none

True Mind,a chapter of the bookby THICH NHAT HANH-UNDERSTANDING OUR MIND." IN THE LAST FEW POSTS I MORE RANDOMLY CHOSE MY TEXT.

"There is also a world conditioned by true Mind>This world has sunlidht ,bird songs,the wind in the pine trees-just as in the world we see around us-but it does not have being and non-being ,coming and going ,same and different,birth and death.The world that has true mind as its seed cause is the world of the AVATAMSAKA SUTRA,where the one encompasses the all, where there can be no fear.True mind is the means for understanding birthlessness and deathlessness."

loong
simple buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

From the book UNDERSTANDING OUR MIND ,BT THICH NHAT HANH.
TNH is a Mahayana Master.Much has been said about the cycle of
InterdependantCo-Arising that is based on Ignorance.But little has been said about Interdependant Co-rising basd on TRUE MIND.
The Buddha said that when ignorance ends there is understanding,just as when night ends there is daylight.If we put an end to ignorance,understanding will be there.In he cycle of causes and conditions that is on understanding.the implulses that bring about suffering are not present.The nature of Awakening is the energy that gives rise to impulses that bring about wisdom.Deluded consciousness brings about the body and mind that suffer.Wisdom brings about the body and MIND OF THE BUDDHA.

LOONG
simple buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

The teachings of Interdependent Co-arising,therefore ,should include a cycle based on deluted mind.The cycle based on true Mind as well as a cycle based on deluted Mind.The cycle based of understanding is the world of the Avatamsaka-he sun ,flowers ,animals,forests,and all things that are wonderful -not the world based on ignorance,where all these things are seen as unsatisfactoty and there is always the craving for something else.

loong
simple buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
to all or none,The same sun shines each day,yet one day we are joyfull and the next day we suffer.If our house is burdened ,our world is one of suffering.If our heart is light and open,unfettered by internal formations,the world is beautiful.True MIND conditions the world of suchness and happiness,because it is not caught in attachment.

This text was taken from the book ";understanding our Mind : by THICH NHAT HANH

Loong
simple MINDED buddhist wink

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
"
If your Mind is clouded with ideas or notions ,you cannot see things directly.During a retreat for Vietnam Vets,many years ago ,one man told me that for many years he could only see a Vietnamese person as a threat,an enenmy.When he first arrived at the retreat and saw me ,a Vietnamese monk,He beleived that I was his ennemy.Later, thanks
to the practice,he discovered that it was not true.Another student once told me that he can accept life and death are happening in each and every moment of our daily life--that life and death are inter-are,but he wondered whether it is possible for us to continue after our body disintegrates .He asked "how can the brain imagine after it disintegrates,and ,therefore,how can we conceive of a continuation?

If you look deeply in the present moment you can see.Each of my students carries me within him/herself.Right now in this city of Moscow,someone is breathing and is smiling ,THAT IS ME!"

from the book :understanding your Mind,by MASTER THICH NHAT HANH.

loong
simple buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

This post is not from the Book.It is from me.

Master THICH NHAT HANH has opened a new field ,with his seeds etc.I always beleived that I was the only one that knew my Mind.
I was so right.!

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

I posted in Mindfulness training apoem by Master THICH NHAT HANH
to monks in vietnam during the war there.What will follow is his comment on that POEM.

Before I wrote this poem,I spent a long time looking deeply .If we are not reconciled with our killers at the time of death ,It is
extremely painful to die.
When we feel reconciled and have some compasssion for them,we suffer much less.One of my students,NHAT CHI MAI, immolated herself as a call to the two warring parties to sit down together and end the war.Before she set fire to herselfshe read this poem into a tape recorder,twice.When we look deeply into the nature of interdependence and see that the person harming us is also a victim.-Of his family,his society,his environment-
understanding arises naturallyWith understanding there is empathy and reconciliation.Understanding always LEADS TO LOVE.When we have love and compassion ,we do not have anger and we do not suffer.Our fear ,anxiety sorrow,despair,and hopelessness are what causes us to suffer.The ability to see the interdependent nature of all things leads to compassion ur hearts and keeps us from suffering,even w2when people betray us and cause us harm.When we are able to love others in spite of their misdeeds,we are already a Bodhisattva."

Loong's comment;When I awoke the morning after my stabbing in the back by a poor stoned young man ,my first thought was for him .
a thought of compassion ,because he just had ruined a good part of his life.He would have to live with the karma of his action.
This poor young man can get up to 14 years in prison.
If it were to me to decice,I would put him back on the street,and give him a second chance of not being an ignorant as Buddha called those who did not live a spiritual life am
nd were in the grip of MARA.Far from me to consider myself a Bodhisattva but at least I have entered Bodhicitta.

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none.

text chosen at random. From the book UNDERSTANDING OUR MIND,

By MASTER THICH NHAT HANH

Maturation is the ripe fruit of our consciousness .At the time of maturation ,our conscsiousness seeks to dwell in the stage that is the closest to the sum of our actions.If we have an action in our store consciousness associated with addiction to cocaine,the force of attraction of like to like naturally leads us to associate with others who like drugs.Maturation of the fruit in consciousness leads us towards one of the realms in a very deep way.

loong

Pretty soon I will drop this thread ,and come up with something different.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Do you know if we did not have a store consiousness,we would not have a LIFE?
All eight consciousness are important.However let us say you do not have one of the sense consciousness,hearing,you would still memories except sounds .Store consciousness is the producer of what you beleive your life is.No STORE CONSCIOUSNESS =no MEMORY.
Bummer.That is what happened to me a few years ago when I got part
of my brain dammaged,lost most of my memory.
Childhood,infancy,teenager marriage almost all gone.Destroyed
But The Real master Is Mind ,no Mind ,No LIFE>

During the cold war the Americans and russians filled their spies store consciousnesses with secret acts through drugs etc.
The worst part was that if an agent was caught and given drugs to
make him talk ,the russians and americans put BOMBS in the store consciousnesses of the spies and when they were about to crack ,
and reveal the secrets ,the bomb in the store consciousness would wipe clean the store consciousness leaving a vegetable person
with no memory at all .That is how importnt one must select the seeds he lets in in his store consciousness ,to be sure that he becomes a full happy and blissfull human

loong
missing part of my memory.However it's the past so!!!!

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Text ,one of the last taken from UNDERSTANDING OUR MIND ,BY MASTER
THICH NHAT HANH.

MENTAL FORMATIONS.

They arise with the Universal,particular,and wholesome,the basic and secondary unwholesome,and the indeterminate mental formations"

loong

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.