Actor/songwriter/veteran Kris Kristofferson died on Saturday at the age of 88. Barbra Streisand, Kristofferson's co-star in the 1976 version of "A Star is Born", has posted a clip from the film on X/Twitter. She's also written about their reunion onstage in 2019.

I wrote in one of my Drama Movies newsletters about Kristofferson's performance in the 1980 film, "Heaven's Gate". The film was mired in controversy when it was first released, but has risen in critics' estimation since. Director Michael Cimino drew out of Kristofferson more emotion, particularly a controlled rage, than any other director. Upon viewing a restoration of the film, Kristofferson commented that it ruined both of their careers, but it was worth it.

Kristofferson's first role as a leading man was in the 1971 film, "Cisco Pike". He plays an ex-con trying to outwit a corrupt cop, a creepy character inhabited by Gene Hackman . I wrote an article about the film, comparing it to the Dustin Hoffman ex-con drama "Straight Time" (1978). Here's the link. Straight Time and Cisco Pike Review

Angela K. Peterson
Drama Movies
Editor