Page 50 of 62 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 61 62
Angie #938218 07/06/23 07:11 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Creativity is part of human nature. It can only be untaught.

Ai Weiwei

Artist-activist Ai Weiwei is known for his provocative performances and outspoken critiques of systems of power. Speaking critically of the educational system in his native China — and, perhaps, elsewhere — Ai has said, “Kids are put through a strong social-educational process that makes it impossible to develop unique thinking. The competition is like a tunnel from which there is no escape. That makes society simple and maybe even effective, but it’s not human.” Ai’s work, which has documented the constrained movements of Chinese citizens under surveillance by the government, among other topics, reminds us not to take for granted our freedom of expression, or let the pressure to conform to social structures stamp out our innate creativity. The loss of freedom, he argues, is akin to a loss of our humanity itself.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Angie #938225 07/07/23 10:11 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Happiness is something that multiplies when it is divided.

Paulo Coelho

Author Paulo Coelho is best known for his beloved 1988 book "The Alchemist," a story that encapsulates his pursuit of spiritual fulfillment in literature and in life. This line, however, comes from a later novel, "By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept." The book follows a pair of lovers, former childhood friends, as they navigate a journey through sacred sites in the French Pyrenees. One of the two has become a spiritual guru and miracle worker, and must choose between his calling and his affair. Yet, in the end, valuing one lover’s spiritual growth brings happiness to them both, for herein lies the paradox of happiness: When it is shared it does not diminish, but grows.

Angie #938234 07/11/23 09:23 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
A talent grows by being used, and withers if it is not used.

May Sarton

May Sarton was a prolific writer whose body of work includes 19 novels and 17 books of poetry. Her most popular and enduring writing, however, is found in her journals and memoirs, which include “Plant Dreaming Deep,” “Journal of a Solitude,” and “The House by the Sea.” The latter, written after Sarton moved from New Hampshire to the coast of Maine in 1973, is a profoundly personal account of solitude, nature, and the creative process. In it, Sarton compares talent to a plant, writing that “it may simply wither if it is not given enough food, sun, tender care. And to give it those things means working at it every day.”

Angie #938242 07/12/23 08:41 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science.
~Edwin Powell Hubble, "The Exploration of Space," c.1933

Angie #938246 07/13/23 09:54 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world.

Helen Keller

Author, lecturer, and disability rights advocate Helen Keller wrote these words in a letter to a friend in 1890. But the person to whom she’s really directing this insight is her younger self. In the letter, she reflects on becoming deaf and blind at 19 months old. She recalls feelings of deprivation and isolation, believing that “everybody [else] was always happy.” With perspective, however, she grew to appreciate the benefits that came with surviving hardships. In this quote, she highlights bravery and patience — two undeniably remarkable virtues — but leaves out the underlying reason for her bravery and patience in the first place: hope, her ability to find light where there was none; to see in the dark.

Angie #938250 07/14/23 08:25 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Nothing is so often irretrievably missed as a daily opportunity.
~Marie, Baroness von Ebner‑Eschenbach

Angie #938257 07/15/23 09:51 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Here, he could exist; "but mere existence is not enough," he sighed; "to live, one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower!"
~Hans Christian Andersen, "The Butterfly," translated by Caroline Peachey

Angie #938265 07/18/23 09:13 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Diligence is the mother of good fortune.

Miguel de Cervantes

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616) is widely regarded as the greatest writer of the Spanish language, best known for his epic story “Don Quixote.” The book was originally published in two parts, the first released in 1605 and the second 10 years later in 1615. While it is undeniable that Cervantes must have been incredibly diligent to produce a work that is, even in modern printings, over 1,000 pages long, it is also worth noting that he struggled as a writer for 20 years before releasing the first half of “Don Quixote.” In the end, his diligence did indeed lead to good fortune. The work is considered to be the first modern novel and is one of the most widely translated books of all time.

Angie #938268 07/20/23 08:11 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
"A false witness will not go unpunished, and whoever pours out lies will perish."

Angie #938270 07/21/23 01:11 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
story today: Reading More, Dusting Less

I'm reading more and dusting less. I'm sitting in the yard and admiring the view without fussing about the weeds in the garden. I'm spending more time with my family and friends and less time working. Whenever possible, life should be a pattern of experiences to savor, not to endure. I'm trying to recognize these moments now and cherish them.

I'm not 'saving' anything; we use our good china and crystal for every special event such as losing a pound, getting the sink unstopped, or the first Amaryllis blossom. I wear my good blazer to the market. My theory is if I look prosperous, I can shell out $28.49 for one small bag of groceries. I'm not saving my good perfume for special parties, but wearing it for clerks in the hardware store and tellers at the bank. 'Someday' and 'one of these days' are losing their grip on my vocabulary. If it's worth seeing or hearing or doing, I want to see and hear and do it now.

I'm not sure what others would've done had they known they wouldn't be here for the tomorrow that we all take for granted. I think they would have called family members and a few close friends. They might have called a few former friends to apologize and mend fences for past squabbles. I like to think they would have gone out for a Chinese dinner or for whatever their favorite food was. I'm guessing; I'll never know.

It's those little things left undone that would make me angry if I knew my hours were limited. Angry because I hadn't written certain letters that I intended to write one of these days. Angry and sorry that I didn't tell my husband and parents often enough how much I truly love them. I'm trying very hard not to put off, hold back, or save anything that would add laughter and luster to our lives.

And every morning when I open my eyes, I tell myself that it is special. Every day, every minute, every breath truly is a gift from God.

Page 50 of 62 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 61 62

Moderated by  Yvonnie-Inspired 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.