Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Find out about the details of the Night Sky This Month for June.

And Cosmic Pursuits has a lot more that's worth a look, including supermoon images from last month.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
What's Up: Skywatching Tips from NASA

There's a video, daily guide and lots of useful information, such as Skywatching Tips for July:

Venus is joined by Mars in the July twilight. Watch them come closer each evening, culminating with a super-close pairing on July 12. And 'tis the season for enjoying the Milky Way core!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Cosmic Pursuits gives a rundown on the night sky for October. You might see Venus, a crescent Moon & the star Antares, or perhaps the Moon with Jupiter and Saturn, and if very lucky, Orionid meteors.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The most famous comet is Halley's Comet. English astronomer Edmond Halley didn't discover it, but did discover that it came visiting every 75-76 years. If you can't wait until 2062 for the next visit, you can see the Orionid meteor shower which is created by debris from Halley's Comet. October 20-21!

Orionids – Crumbs of Halley's Comet

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I had the usual overcast sky and didn't see any Orionids - or even the full Moon! But here are two reports from southern England:

Unfortunately [our favourite dark sky spot] wasn't actually that dark due to the blazing near full moon but not a lot we could do about that. At approximately 2210 we were greeted by the most amazing fireball, originating from Orion. It lasted for approximately 4 beautiful long seconds and was red and blue/purple with lots of green on the outside.

I saw one really bright one around 2am as I was locking up to go to bed so obviously then I had to don the thermals and sit on my balcony for an hour until I spotted another one.

Although they were watching for Orionids, there are also Taurids into November - they are known for being slow and colorful.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I can never see much in our sky - we have too many trees and light pollution doesn't help matters.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Have a look for a bright object in the west after sunset - it's Venus. I saw it last night. The sky was clear for a change and the plant was brilliant.

EarthSky reports:
Venus is the brightest planet seen from Earth. And it’ll be a beautiful and interesting world to watch through the end of 2021. Look west after sunset for Venus. You can’t miss it. It’s dazzling! That’s even though, from the Northern Hemisphere, the autumn angle of the ecliptic keeps Venus to the left of the sunset point, not high above the sunset. From the Southern Hemisphere, Venus is gloriously high above the sunset all month.

Venus ranks as the third-brightest celestial body to light up the heavens, after the sun and moon. On any evening between now and late December, it’ll be the first “star” to pop into view. Venus is currently getting brighter as the weeks pass. Its greatest illuminated extent – heralding its time of greatest brilliancy for this evening apparition – will take place in early December 2021.

By then, Venus will appear much closer to the sunset, even lower in the sky, as an eerie bright light. UFO sightings will increase around that time!

I could also see a bright Jupiter in the SSE and a much fainter Saturn to the south.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Brian Ventrudo's Cosmic Pursuits have the lowdown on the night sky for December.

Highlights . . .

Watch out for the Geminid meteor shower, peaking on the 13th. (You can find out more about this in Geminids - December Spectacle.)

And Venus is a brilliant object in the southwestern sky at sunset. It's easy to see why people make UFO reports.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here's your guide to what's in the sky this month, thanks to Cosmic Pursuits.

The crescent Moon along with Venus,...hwestern sky after sunset on Jan. 4 2022

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Space.com tells you what you might see in the sky this month.

It includes a set of night sky guides of interest:

*When, where and how to see the planets in the 2022 night sky
*The top skywatching events to look for in 2022
*Best night sky events of February 2022 (Stargazing Maps)
*Space calendar 2022: Rocket launches, sky events, missions & more

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.