Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello Angie,

Sorry I'm only getting to this now - just picked it up! Anyway.

I am not sure why you have chosen not to plant veggies again this year, perhaps it is because of the yield being so small from containers in small spaces? I agree with you on that but I continue to grow spinach (or Swiss Chard), tomatoes and potatoes as the yield with these three is worth the effort of planting and caring for the pots. I made a bean tee-pee too which was successful and worth the harvest.

You know what they say of people who do things that other people don't or can't or won't do ... they answer the question with "because I can!"

Keep finding joy in your gardening,

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
CONTAINER GARDENING TIP OF THE DAY

When you buy trays of seedlings of anything mixed – several herbs, or flowers or succulents (anything in numbers), have your container/s prepared (soiled up and placed) before you purchase so you can plant out as soon as you get home.

Then, before you actually plant the seedlings, remove them gently (don't pull them out by their necks, push them out from their roots) from the trays and place them in the pattern that suits the look you are after – mix and match. Only then plant them. If you just start by planting in a higgeldy piggeldy (love that expression) way, you may regret it and have to plant again ... just makes more work and upsets the tender seedlings.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

There is a lot that is said about watering … here is some more! Water your containers in the morning (or around sunset) whenever possible because doing so minimises water loss through evaporation during the day, which in turn may mean you think the plants are getting enough moisture but they’re not. Also, try to water under the leaves and aim for the roots. Damp leaves could invite fungal diseases and other pests.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

When transplanting, repotting or working with just-brought-home new plants from the nursery, plant each at the same depth it was in its previous pot/bag/container. The plant is used to that position and is growing well … if you sink it in too deep the watering may rot the stem bases or planted too high, the roots may dry out too soon or be exposed with watering. This is aka the Goldilocks factor … just right, and don’t we all seek Goldilocks in life!

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 10/15/20 03:13 AM.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

If you are plagued by mosquitoes, bees, wasps and flies when you are sitting on the patio or having a picnic, you can cut a fresh lemon or lime in two (hopefully from your own container-grown tree) and stud it with cloves – make a spiral pattern for fun. Put a couple in the centre of the table and you will chase the bugs away.

I don’t want to lump the pollinators bees and wasps here (we really need them) in order to chase them away from your bee-friendly containers – this tip is just for those times you don’t want them near the table.

Bee friendly herbs include basil, citronella, garlic, lemon balm and then there are lavender, geraniums and marigolds … grow some why don’t you?

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Consider growing dwarf varieties of whatever plants you choose for your containers, especially when it comes to fruit trees, shrubs and climbers. Perhaps the best thing to do at a nursery is to ask, get the advice you need then act on it. Dwarf varieties of your favourites are almost always ‘perfectly’ happy in containers.

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 10/17/20 07:34 AM.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Generally, ornamental plants do not need to be fed as frequently as vegetables since vegetables require more nutrition for them to produce good and better yields. This is especially true of vegetables grown in containers. Also, be sure to choose varieties bred for their short stature (see dwarf tip above) and propensity to thrive in containers.

‘Start out right and the Job’s half done’ is a South African proverb that works well here. Start out with the right container and the right composted soil growing in the right conditions (watering, drainage and sunlight); then use an organic liquid fertiliser and your harvest will be a good one. There are many brands of fertilisers out there – choose one that suits you.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
CONTAINER GARDENIING TIP OF THE DAY

Containers should be as wide as they are high in order to provide the best possible insulation for roots. Roses grow better in square containers (round pots stunt blooming because the roots go crazy going round and around). Leaving buckets of water outside in the sun (to use for watering your containers by hand) allows the chlorine to evaporate and for the water to become ‘energised’ by the sunlight. Planting a raw whole egg in at the bottom of a container is an excellent natural food source/fertiliser for plants. Banana skin water promotes growth and helps plants fight off pests.

Old wives’ tales? Nonsense? Maybe.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Anyone who has containers in frosty and snowy zones, and who may be facing the winter months, already knows that tender, evergreen or citrus trees must be moved inside for overwintering. Don’t take chances. Protect tree roots and 'bodies' from winter cold by putting your containers in a protected area, on a veranda, in a garage … anywhere you can to shield them from frost, icy winds and very low temperatures. Lift them off stone cold floors too, put them on bricks or blocks of wood. If you can, also use an insulating material to cover them during the coldest months. I guess you already know this and do it as a matter of course, just thought I would say it anyway; I know a couple of gardeners who have taken chances and subsequently lost plants to the very cold.

Frugal gardener? Can't move the pot/container? Use a bed sheet or light blanket instead but use stakes or supports to keep these from touching the leaves. Bought frost cloth is different, it doesn’t matter if it covers/touches plants. Some gardeners use plastic (bin bags etc.) … not my advice or choice.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Are you bored with your container garden? Has it been the same for too long? Want to change something but still love your plants? Why not paint your containers? Change their look? Hobby them up with some mosaic?

Just remember to choose a non-toxic and waterproof paint and then go for colours that will hold up in the sun. If you live in a hot sunny climate, use light-colours as this will reduce heat absorption and help keep the roots cool. It’s the same with cars … black and dark-coloured cars absorb heat while white/cream cars ‘reject’ it.

Lestie Mulholland

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.