logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Do animals dream? Studies show that animals that enter REM sleep mostly likely do.

It seems obvious to me that dogs dream because our dogs have always yipped and went through running motions as they slept. Sometimes, they would growl or wag their tails. We always watched in wonder, hoping they were having pleasant dreams.

Do you think YOUR dog or cat or pet dreams?

Lori Chidori Phillips
Bellaonline Dreams editor
Dreams site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
OP Offline
C
Thought I'd add something more about my own two dogs. We adopted both from a shelter but one was a months old puppy while the other was about five years old. The latter dog was a skinny waif. Her ears were slicked back in fear and she shivered from anxiety. She'd been in the shelter for a while and because she wasn't young or exceptionally desirable as in breed, age or appearance, she probably would have ended up being put down.

When our younger dog (a terrier-chi mix) dreams, he yips and "runs" and generally has a playful energy to his dreaming actions. As though he is chasing a squirrel in our backyard.

When our older dog dreams, she has a muffled bark that sounds like a warning or alarm (she does sound off an alarm whenever someone comes to the front door) and she growls and whimpers, too. We adopted her first and when she was the only dog, she had separation anxiety when left at home alone. She would chew anything she could that was in the room and she would howl. Now that she isn't the only dog left behind, she no longer has the anxiety as much. She still will howl occasionally which freaks out our other dog.

Her dreams seem more anxiety-filled. Poor thing. We don't know what she went through before she landed in the shelter and she gets lots of love and loving treatment here but her dreams...they may be playing out old memories sometimes.

Guess it is the same with humans.

Lori Chidori Phillips
Dreams site
C
OP Offline
C
You might be interested in this article about animal dreaming and the evolutionary purpose by National Geographic.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/09/150905-animals-sleep-science-dreaming-cats-brains/

Lori Chidori Phillips
Dreams site
C
OP Offline
C
Interesting tidbit about animal dreaming: Scientists surmise that it is likely that all mammals dream because they enter REM sleep.

I dream about the pets we have loved and lost. I wonder if pets that have lost beloved owners dream about them. I'll bet they do. If you haven't seen this video, it is rather heartbreaking. A precious dog mourns the loss of his owner upon her grave. I sure hope this dog has pleasant dreams where they reunite.

https://youtu.be/eb3J-GfY6T4

Lori Chidori Phillips
Dreams site
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
our dog dreams some. He will yip periodically. He's about 10 years old.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I think the dog was dreaming all night. If he wasn't dreaming and making noises, then he was snoring.

C
OP Offline
C
Yes, I believe your dog was dreaming, too. Not sure we still dream while we are snoring but it's certainly possible.

I always wonder what our dogs dream about but their dreams probably are about doing things they do in waking life such as chasing small animals or barking at the door. I wonder if they have fantastical dreams like we do. You know, how we dream about flying? I wonder if dogs dream about flying, too.

Lori Chidori Phillips
Dreams site

Moderated by  ChidoriDreams2 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.