Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I have this audio book, "The Life-changing magic of tydying up" by Marie Kondo. Have you read it? What do you think?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
Something to consider -- I'm putting my house up for sale in May. Oh boy. Now I wish I had addressed lightening up much sooner. I'm pressed for time to sort through numerous boxes in my basement and in my garage. I didn't expect to move so soon. Sometimes we don't realize how our "stuff" can weigh us down if we have to make a jump to another locale. Now I am pushed. Another reason to expect the unexpected and take care of business!!

P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
I just got off the phone with a guy who runs an auction house. I'm thinking of moving out of state and he is going to meet with me to discuss the best way to sell most of my household goods. He said they can have a sale right in my home, sell on line, or sell at his auction house. I'm going to learn the costs and convenience of each and I'll get back to you with the results.

P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
Aaargh...I keep putting off sorting my basement stuff, as I just put my house up for sale. I have made a commitment to spend 2 hours a day, between 4:00 and 6:00pm to go down there and JUST DO IT at least 3 days a week. more on this later.

P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
I'm still working on cleaning out my basement as my house is now up for sale. I am working on downsizing for real. I am going to take some of this stuff to an auction house and have already taken many boxes to the local thrift store.

At his later age I assumed my friends had everything they needed, which they do. However, their children and some of their friends that I don't know, had some things they wanted me to be on the lookout for as I repacked my stuff. I hadn't thought of asking about their circle of friends/family when I started. One gal's daughter was looking for small juice glasses; another contact makes jewelry and was looking for any jewelry pieces; another collects buttons. Well I could fulfill the wishes of all three! Of course there were several requests that I couldn't fill but my friends were pleased that I asked.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
What a nightmare downsizing must be. I often look around my house and say if I were to move, where would I put this stuff. We get stuffed to the gills. I try not to buy anything unless I really need it.

I admire your accomplishment.

P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
Thanks for the encouragement, Angie. I am working hard not to let the emotional feelings overwhelm me while I do this. So many things I now have were gifts from friends and family or that I bought because I really loved the item...I was a collector at one point so I have so many things that I enjoyed for many years. Many will have to go, hopefully to someone else who can appreciate them as I did for so many years. Thanks again, Pat

P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
I've been working on my basement. All I have left now are my Christmas decorations. This is a tough one because I have boxes of stuff, and each year I can't use at least a third of it. My friends have given me the bulk of the decorations as I lost most of what I had in a fire. But I am committed to letting go of most of what I have as I'm planning on moving and really don't want to decorate as I have in the past.

What I have decided to do is take two large plastic bins and fill them. Period. That does not include the tree. I figure a few light strings for outside, ornaments for the tree, some lights for inside (the tree is prelit), some linens, and that's that. I'll see if I can stick to this plan.

Next are my pictures. I have boxes of them. I intend to do the same thing with these. Ideally, I'd like to keep them in one bin. I know I have so many that I won't put them on discs, so if I sort, I will put them in three categories: youth, friends and trips -- get rid of duplicates and pictures that have scenes in them where I have no clue where the pic was taken. I'll report back on this as well.

I have to stay in the basement to do the Christmas stuff but can be at the dining room table or in my study to sort the pictures. Onward and Upward!!

P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
I have so many nice things that others have given me that emotionally I am so sad that I just can't get rid of them, so I have stopped struggling with the decision to let them go and boxed them up and labeled the boxes. If my new environment doesn't have enough storage space, perhaps that will push me to give them away or sell them. It's really a struggle to do this sorting, but I need to remind myself that dragging a huge number of items with me that I no longer use is ludicrous. Let it go, let it go!!

P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
As Christmas approaches, I have been sorting through the huge amount of Christmas items I have accumulated over the years. Since my home is up for sale and I want to downsize, I know that storing all of these boxes in a new, smaller place will be impossible. I have begun taking some of the items to my favorite thrift store, some to an auction house (vintage things) and I'm giving away other items to friends. Believe me there is plenty left over!! I feel better already!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Pat - Quality Aging 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.