Next Thread
Print Thread
#910275 05/13/16 01:29 PM
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Can fashion be a form of exploitation when in the face of culture? Let's discuss.

LaTeisha Clément
Women's Fashion
Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Are you talking about what some people call culture appropriation?

C
C
I would think so at certain times. Definitely an interesting topic, can't wait for others' opinions.

L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Hi Nancy. Yes, I am talking about cultural appropriation. It is a hot topic. I was just watching a segment on a talk show about this days after writing the following piece: Yay or Nay to Cultural Wear

LaTeisha Clément
Women's Fashion
N
N
So far everytime I saw something about culture appropriation it was not the case, it was just people screaming these two words for nothing besides making trouble or/and being offended over nothing.

My message to people who keep saying culture appropriation is to be careful about it because if we would all go by that then it would mean that all of us would only be able to wear (clothes + hair + makeup + everything like that) what our race invented which maybe would mean that you could end up with not a lot to wear, this could also go with technology and everything else. So if you really are offended when other races is wearing something of your race then look at yourself to see if you yourself is doing the same thing and why in your case it is okay and not with the others!

Also let's say it is culture appropriation or something close to it, why does it have to be a bad thing? Why not be happy that another culture wants to copy yours or wants to use your culture?

L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Hi Nancy,

I think what you are referring to is admiration and appreciating elements of someone else's heritage. However, cultural appropriation is taking a culture's identity, for lack of a better word, and claiming it as your own, as in Rachel Dolezal's case. She took her admiration of black culture to an extreme by identifying as black and denying her own race.

There is a difference between the two concepts and people are offended by the latter.

LaTeisha Clément
Women's Fashion
N
N
Hi,

That is the woman who for years passed herself as a black woman which was not the case? If so then she has many issues! Didn't she finally admit to what she had done or is she still denying it? I do not think what she did was culture appropriation, she lived a life that was not hers yes and also it was a race that was not hers but still this is not the case. What she did was fraud and probably one or more crimes.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.