logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#890443 04/25/15 08:30 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Is television reflective of our society or a causal factor? More importantly, how does that affect how you want to live your own life? The answer to this one question determines a great deal about your future.

What does TV say about us

Daniel LeBoeuf
Atheist/Agnostic Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
OP Offline
D
I didn't expand on how the shopping experience ties in with the theme of the article. Before I do, does anyone have anything they'd like to put forward?

Daniel LeBoeuf
Atheist/Agnostic Editor
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Hi Daniel. Three comments on your excellent essay.

First: I couldn't see any real connection between your shopping experience and the TV reality shows - and frankly I doubt there is one!

Second: I do strongly believe that TV and movies influence people's morality. Clint Eastwood claims that *American Sniper* is simply an honest reporting of what happens, but the actions of a psychopathic mass-murderer should never be *sold* to the viewers as other than extremely offensive. I do see a direct connection between violence on TV and violence in the streets. TV shows do persuade people that torture is acceptable and justified.

Third: I disagree with you that we heathens don't have a *ready-made morality* to support our actions. As children we learnt to do unto others as we would want them to do unto us - and we didn't always learn it in a religious context. The basic concept of *human rights* is that they exist in the ether, as it were - that they can be recognised or not recognised, but cannot be *granted* by governments or religions or anything else. I like that concept!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.