BellaOnline
Posted By: Daniel L What does TV say about us - 04/25/15 12:30 PM
Is television reflective of our society or a causal factor? More importantly, how does that affect how you want to live your own life? The answer to this one question determines a great deal about your future.

What does TV say about us
Posted By: Daniel L Re: What does TV say about us - 04/25/15 12:32 PM
I didn't expand on how the shopping experience ties in with the theme of the article. Before I do, does anyone have anything they'd like to put forward?
Posted By: Gordon Barlow Re: What does TV say about us - 04/25/15 02:58 PM
Hi Daniel. Three comments on your excellent essay.

First: I couldn't see any real connection between your shopping experience and the TV reality shows - and frankly I doubt there is one!

Second: I do strongly believe that TV and movies influence people's morality. Clint Eastwood claims that *American Sniper* is simply an honest reporting of what happens, but the actions of a psychopathic mass-murderer should never be *sold* to the viewers as other than extremely offensive. I do see a direct connection between violence on TV and violence in the streets. TV shows do persuade people that torture is acceptable and justified.

Third: I disagree with you that we heathens don't have a *ready-made morality* to support our actions. As children we learnt to do unto others as we would want them to do unto us - and we didn't always learn it in a religious context. The basic concept of *human rights* is that they exist in the ether, as it were - that they can be recognised or not recognised, but cannot be *granted* by governments or religions or anything else. I like that concept!
© BellaOnline Forums