logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
It's an inhospitable world for humans, but we've survived and thrived. Why? I maintain that it was reason, our ability to think logically and build on our learning and knowledge bases that allowed that survival. This article examines the hypothesis, and compares the Garden of Eden story in both the Bible and Quran.

Reason - the building block of humanity

Last edited by Daniel - Nontheist Editor; 04/13/15 09:11 AM.

Daniel LeBoeuf
Atheist/Agnostic Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
OP Offline
D
Eucharistic Prayer C in the rite of Holy Eucharist II (Episcopal Book of Common Prayer) was always my favorite when I was attending church. I used to call it the Star Wars prayer because of the way it opens (and because I was a Star Wars geek), but the part that is germane to this discussion is the third paragraph in which the "Celebrant" says:
Quote:
From the primal elements you brought forth the human race, and blessed us with memory, reason and skill. You made us the rulers of creation. But we turned against you, and betrayed your trust; and we turned against one another.

I always liked that phrase "memory, reason, and skill" even if they didn't include the Oxford comma. Perhaps this sneaky acknowledgment that we humans had something to do with our own survival that kept me going in the Episcopal Church for so long, since it was obvious that they didn't completely repudiate what was so blatantly obvious to me.

Last edited by Daniel - Nontheist Editor; 04/13/15 09:34 AM.

Daniel LeBoeuf
Atheist/Agnostic Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.