Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none
To continue on the Buddha-Nature thread,the text that follows is from a french book by E Finn called :Bouddhisme questions et reponses:

'Theravadin lineage does not disapprove of A ultimate Reality,but maintains that it is an individual thing and beleives that not everyone but certainly not rocks, can attain that plateau.Vajrayana,
beleives that enlightenment can be obtained in this lifetime,based on practices that are wether Yogick,tantric,magic straight from the Tibetan Chamanism,

So as one reads these explanations one has a multiple choice regarding Buddha-Nature.'

loong

Linda should surely add a few words regarding this text.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
If you want me to add something I would say that Buddha-nature, like all concepts within Buddhism, is a tool for helping us to practice and realize the nature of reality ourselves. The word 'ultimate' is tricky - it makes it seem like it is a reality separate from our perception, and no Buddhist would ever assert that. But in English we don't really have any other word.

There is a concept in Buddhism of 'holding something lightly'. Many of the ideas we study in Buddhism must be held lightly by the mind. We are not trying to fill our mind with new concepts, we are trying to empty it - that is, we are trying to see through all of the 'castles of our mind' that we usually build, all of which prevent us from experiencing reality, each moment, exactly as it is. So Buddha-nature is an idea that must be held lightly.

There is a concept related to this holding lightly called upaya, or skillful means. It may be skillful means for some to think in terms of Buddha nature. It may be skillful means for some to engage in chakra practices, or deity practice, or any of the other things that are part of Vajrayana. For someone else, skillful means is some other practice. Each person needs to find what is skillful means for them at a certain point in their path, and/or their teacher helps them find it. Later on, something else may be skillful means.

Between these two concepts of holding lightly and skillful means, debating whether Buddha nature is or is not is itself seen as a tool, a skillful means, if it helps someone cut through delusion. If it does not, then it's pointless. So most Buddhists aren't really all that interested in asserting is Theravada right or is Mahayana right - certainly you don't find teachers like Dalai Lama ever doing that. There is a place for debate, but as skillful means, not as a way of trying to figure out which one is 'right.'

So that's what I would add!

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Dear Lisa

Recently read by one Master that the Ultimate truth and reality cannot be attained,I agree with that.

The Noble Eightfold Path & precepts,which interrelate in my view are there to help us to become less and not more! Do you share this way of thinking.♥

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Text from a book by E.FINN called"bouddhisme Questions et Reponses"
I shall do the translation from french trying to keep in mind the
writer's point of view.

"None of the lineages are an easy pathand that should be clear to the reader.
Theravada,is a harsh path to walk ,because one walks alone ,and under his own responsability.Sure some masters exist ut not in ateaching way like Teacher/student.Mahayana is more convivial if i can say so,also Zen,with it's fascination with void/emptiness,
however corrects it's redemptorist position mbringing too close to christianity.Vajrayana,insists on the spontabeous response to give to the sollitations of the Universe,it,s in the NOW disponibility,and using subtile energies ery well canalised,in a vigilant fashion and regiven with love.

it is not necessary to see an intervie of the Dalai-lama to see the
effects of benevolence humor,and an unending energy in his communication."

loong
www.loongdragon-view-on-buddhism.blogspot.ca

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Text from a book by E.FINN called"bouddhisme Questions et Reponses"
I shall do the translation from french trying to keep in mind the
writer's point of view.

"None of the lineages are an easy pathand that should be clear to the reader.
Theravada,is a harsh path to walk ,because one walks alone ,and under his own responsability.Sure some masters exist ut not in ateaching way like Teacher/student.Mahayana is more convivial if i can say so,also Zen,with it's fascination with void/emptiness,
however corrects it's redemptorist position mbringing too close to christianity.Vajrayana,insists on the spontabeous response to give to the sollitations of the Universe,it,s in the NOW disponibility,and using subtile energies ery well canalised,in a vigilant fashion and regiven with love.

it is not necessary to see an intervie of the Dalai-lama to see the
effects of benevolence humor,and an unending energy in his communication."

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none
Text from THe Big View.com. Today we shall see
.....RIGHT MINDFULNESS....

Right NMindfulness is the controlled and perfected faculty of cognition.It is the mental ability to see things as they are,with clear consciousness.Usually the cognitive process begins with an impression induced by perception,or by a thought ,bur then it does not stay with the mere impression.Instead, we almost always conceptualize sense impressions and thoughts immediatly.We interpret them and set them in relation to others thoughtsand experiences which naturally go beyond the facticity
of the original impression .The Mind then posits concepts,joins concepts into constructs,and weaves those constructs into complex interpretive schemes .All this happens only half consciously,and as a result we often see thingsscured.Right Mindfulnessis anchored in clear perception and it penetrates impressions without getting
carried away.Right Mindfulness enables us to be aware of the process of conceptualisation in a way that we actively observe and
control the way our thoughts go.BUDDHA accounted for this as the
FOUR FOUNDATIONS OF MINDFULNESS.

1-Contemplation of the body
2-contemplation of feeling(repulsive,attractive,or neutral.
3-contemplation of the state of Mind
4-the contemplation of the Phenomena.

loong
son of the Oneness

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none
Text Taken from The Big View .com
Today we shall see the last of the Noble Eighfold Path

RIGHT CONCENTRATION

The eight principle of th path ,right concentration ,refers to the development of a mental force that occurs in natural consciousness,although at a relatiely low level of intensity,namely concentration in this context is described as one-pointedness of Mind,meaning a state where all mental faculties are unified and directed onto one particular object.Right Concentration for the purpose of the eightfold path means WHOLESOME CONCENTRATIONi.e.
concentration on wholesome thoughts and actions .The BUDDHIST method of choice to develop right concentration is through the practice of meditation.

The meditating mind focuses on a selected object.It first directs itself onto it,then sustains concentration ,and finally intensifies concentration step by step.Through this practice it becomes natural to apply elevated levels of concentration also in everyday situations.

This wraps up the simplest way of explaining the Noble Eightfold Path that I could find.

I hope it was to your perousal

loong
Friend of Buddha

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
I originally was sceptic when I bought this book by E.Finn.

Been reading it ,wether he is an historian or something else.If people thought that Induism was complex ,it's nothing compared to Buddhism .Reading this book will drive any beginner and even me to to crazyness.
So many views ,so many theories .I will stick with what I wrote in a post regarding the gist of Buddhism which seems recognized by every lineage.OUF!!!!

loong
head still spinning.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: loongdragon
To all or none,
I originally was sceptic when I bought this book by E.Finn.

Been reading it ,wether he is an historian or something else.If people thought that Induism was complex ,it's nothing compared to Buddhism .Reading this book will drive any beginner and even me to to crazyness.
So many views ,so many theories .I will stick with what I wrote in a post regarding the gist of Buddhism which seems recognized by every lineage.OUF!!!!

loong
head still spinning.

Yes, he seems like an academian or historian. So far, I didn't find his understanding of Mahayana or Vajrayana very insightful. He seems stuck in a very basic view of them, he doesn't seem to get that the concepts and practices are all tools, all skillful means - he is taking them too literally and comparing Theravada and Mahayana as if they are philosophies.

But of course I have not read the entire book, so maybe this is not a fair assessment. But certainly there is a big difference between approaching Buddhism as a historian and approaching it as a set of tools for potentially furthering your own awakening.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Text taken in the book ";bouddhisme Questions et Reponses"
by E Finn.Today's question is" WHAT IS METTA"

The premire Sublime Attitude is Metta.Uncoditionnal love.this notion has been exhaustively explained in many texts,books etc.
It is the condition in which we want goodness/kindness for ourselves ,but also for others.This notion in theravada is one of the most important notions.Those who say that Buddhism is self-centered oneself ,do not understand the Metta notion.
Through meditation one can pread this notion.There must not be rituals regarding,this subject,for Buddhism does not beleive in rituals."

loong's comment: I never beleived in inconditional love.
one that give love to another has already been rewarded wether in karma a good feeling for doing a good deed.
loong

Last edited by loongdragon; 04/08/14 10:50 AM.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.