Print Thread
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
My daughter’s school is now “nut-free” to accomodate children with severe allergies. As my daughter does not like peanut butter or nuts this new policy is not an issue in my household. However, I spoke to another mother who says she’s going to struggle with the new policy.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and how are you dealing with it?

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
Hello, Well i am first time hearing about this policy sounds for from children's point of view...

C
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
C
Hi, leahmullen. My daughter's school has the same policy. They actually eat lunch in their classroom 3 days a week, eat in the cafeteria 1 day a week and only go to school half days on Fridays, so they don't have lunch at school.

On the days they eat in the cafeteria they're allowed to bring nuts to school because they have a special table for nut allergy people. I don't really understand that because it's still in the cafeteria and nut allergies are supposed to be so extreme that even smelling nuts can make an allergic person have a reaction.

There are zero food allergies in my daughter's class, but the other 3 days a week that they eat lunch in their classroom, they're not allowed to have nuts. That doesn’t make any sense to me. Maybe it’s because the room is smaller? I have no idea and I’ve asked at the school and nobody can really tell me anything other than that’s just the policy.

I have been trying to get my daughter to eat gluten-free and I'm trying to eat completely grain-free. I don't know if my daughter has issues with gluten, but she has a lot of stomach problems so I'm doing an elimination diet. I would LIKE to be able to make her grain-free breads and snacks, but that mostly requires using nut flours (almond and coconut are the two I mainly use), which she can't take to school. It is frustrating. There are people with Celiac disease who can't go to bakeries and restaurants that bake their own bread and other flour-based foods because there's gluten in the air. Are we going to ban gluten from schools, too? I don't know that the reaction is as extreme as a nut allergy reaction and that may be the difference.

I know it's concerning and frustrating for parents of kids who have the allergies and I don't at all fault them for wanting to make sure their kids are safe. I do think, though, that if there aren't any allergies to whatever is banned, then the ban should be lifted.

There are plenty of other things to pack in a kid’s lunch and I’ve had to get a little creative, but it hasn’t really been a big deal. I think the bigger concern is WHY has there been such an explosion of food allergies and intolerances in the last 20 years? We should be dealing with the ways our foods are grown/made and fix the problem, but that’s an entirely different discussion. eek

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.