Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

January and time for "Vogelhochzeit", Bird's Wedding, a centuries old Sorbian custom from eastern Germany.

The "Bridal Couple" are children in traditional Sorbian costumes. The bride a Magpie, her groom a Raven, the guests often other birds, and its held on January 25 celebrating the approaching end to winter.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 01/25/14 11:46 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Hola Francine,

Heck of an off-the-bird-track article!

The costumes as you displayed really do those two species of birds justice.

Would you know why the magpie and the raven were chosen for the Vogelhochzeit, as in the eyes of some, those species of birds are perceived as being real pests?

Since both are considered to be in the Crow family, couldn't the marriage of the two be viewed as being incestuous?

In Mexico, there are no magpies per se, but two of my favorite species do appear there, the White-Throated and Black-Throated Magpie Jays.

As for me, I think Magpies and Ravens are wicked intelligent and behaviorally fascinating. The last two times I was in the fields and hills of nearby Zinaparo I was disappointed that I didn't see or even hear any Common Ravens who quite often occur there.

For some reason, these lyrics have been on my mind lately:

"Pack up all my cares and woes,
Here I go, singing low,
Bye, bye, blackbird.
Where somebody waits for me,
Sugar is sweet, so is she,
Bye, bye, blackbird."

"Make my bed and light the light,
I'll arrive late tonight,
Blackbird,
I said blackbird,
I said blackbird,
Oh, blackbird, bye, bye."

Last edited by LesS13; 01/26/14 03:56 AM.
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hello Francine,

Can you give more information or write another article about the Sorbs? Learn so much from your site - thanks and cheers

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 01/26/14 09:39 AM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hello Francine and all,

I really liked reading your article, interesting and interesting to say the least.

You say there...

"The night before dishes filled with breadcrumbs are placed outside, high out of the reach of any dogs or cats who might be around, and overnight the birds fill them with gifts for the following day's wedding, such as baked figures of magpies or bird's nests, different candies, nuts and apples."

I wonder if this is where the tooth fairy (or mouse in my world)got hisher idea to pay for baby teeth left overnight in slippers. Both are an award for something.

Anyway, as usual I find your site v v interesting to read and easy to go lurk about.

Thanks and cheers

Do you see the connetion? Maybe not, still just saying a say.

P S Les - remember that song Blackbird made famous for me by the Beatles? At one stage I was madly in love with a someone who played this for me ad nauseam (by request) on a 12-string guitar. Ah, sweet memories.

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 01/26/14 09:23 AM.

Lestie Mulholland

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

There could be some connection Lestie.....after all kids here leave carrots and apples out for St. Nicholas's horse in December, and in the morning find 'goodies' in their place. So the same train of thought in a way, and no doubt taken across the world by those who otherwise were leaving Europe far behind.

In Germany however at least the baby tooth tradition doesn't seem to exist, but can remember as young Brit expat they were put under the pillow at night........then in the morning somehow had been miraculously turned into a 'silver' coin.

Fun memories smile

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Ah Les why Magpie and Raven......well the theory is they are the early nest builders, so might actually already be busy at the end of January. Bit early for most other birds here.

And yes as a species they are considered pests, didn't a crow attack the Pope's 'Doves of Peace' yesterday after he let them out to fly over St. Peter's Square? No place in heaven guaranteed for that crow.

Another branch of the Sorbian family, (there are only 60,000 Sorbs in total but separate groups) talk of a blackbird (groom) and thrush (bride), who are also from the same family - interesting, there must be a reason but don't know what.

Here is a link that shows you that version, as well as some of the birds (real life combined with the 'art' form) from our 'neck of the woods'.......not as colorful as the ones you see everyday of course. Die Vogelhochzeit

And yes definitely
Quote:
an off-the-bird-track article!
........just to keep you on your toes you see smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes I will Lestie, the Sorbs are fascinating - it is almost like life in another world quite unlike the rest of Germany.

Not to mention the area where they live, it's stunning and their way of living has not destroyed it either, just allowed it 'to be'.

Will get around to an article in the next weeks. smile

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hello there...

Now why, as a species, are crows considered a pest?
Quite frankly if I were a crow I'd do my best
To do what I do well, doves aside, as you know,
The best thing I know is to be me! A Crow.

I remember at junior school the boys called us girls 'crows' as in "So what does your crow say, is she coming to the dance with you?" Either that or we were called bats, but crows was the favoured term. Ah well.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.