Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
S
There are many ways to deal with grief. Often using the arts - writing, music and art itself - can be a way to help bring the emotions to the surface and allow them to be dealt with.

What have you found to be helpful in dealing with your grief?

Activities to Help Deal with Grief

Shirley McGillivray
Bereavement Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Great suggestions, Shirley. I have done many things in the course of my grief to deal with my feelings of pain and loss.

I started a journal on my boyfriend's behalf, writing down things about him I wanted to remember, and also what I was feeling at any given time. Then it progressed into a more personal journal with the entries being letters that I write to him to tell him that I love and miss him, and to let him know what I am feeling. I even share things with him like I would if he were here to have a conversation with me. I still do this a year and a half after his passing, having filled one book and gone on to a second. The entries have become more infrequent as time goes on, evidence that I am moving through my grief.

I have pictures of him visible in two different places. One place is in the livingroom where I spend a lot of time. I have at times lit candles by his picture at night, often every night for several nights. I also have a collection of some of my favorite pictures of him on my dresser in the bedroom. I can see him and greet him every morning and also I can look at him just before going to bed. It has been a comfort to me, like he is still close, lessening the pain a bit even through the tears.

I have listened to music that reminds me of him. I have also listened to music that just I like, just he likes, or music we enjoyed together.

I had his first name professionally carved on a concrete paver stone from his yard that used to be part of a patio at his home when he was a kid. The patio is gone but the stone paver remains, and now the stone with his name on it sits in the landscaped garden we designed together. It is out there during the warmer months and I bring the stone indoors to enjoy during the winter. The solidness of it makes me feel like he is still solid in my life. Gone from here, but still close because love never dies.

I have placed roses at his grave. When spring came this year I planted flowers all the way around his headstone.

I talk to him like he is right near me whenever I want to when I am alone. In his home where I still live, in his car that I drive, or even when I am outside.

I visited a medium/clairvoyant a year after his passing. My boyfriend came through loud and clear, like I asked him to do before I got there. He does hear me, and things were revealed in the session that only he and I could know about. That session was a comfort, and very instrumental in moving me forward in my healing.

All of these things combined have helped me deal with the grief of losing him, and has helped me to heal and move on. It takes time to go through the process, but I am making good progress.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I want to add that talking with people, including professionals, a priest, family members, and friends about what I was feeling has helped me a great deal to lessen the pain and put things into perpective.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.