Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Venus has been around the other side of the Sun, so not visible in our skies for awhile. (I'm not sure for how long, because we've had so many clouds and so much rain, I've scarcely seen anything in the sky recently.) But there could be some beautiful sights coming our way. Jupiter is still bright, though not as bright as Venus in her glory - and they're moving closer together in the sky. On May 28, there will be a close conjunction. So, given clear skies, we should also be able to see several nights with two bright planets in the field of view.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I didn't mention that there was a bonus here, but Mercury will also be involved if you catch after sunset. Today (May 19) Mercury may be visible just to the lower right of Venus. (Venus will be the brightest one.) On May 26 all three planets are close enough together that they would fit in a 2.5 degree circle.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is a diagram from Sky & Telescope showing what you might see on May 24.

45 minutes after dusk on May 24

Don't be surprised if you can't see the star Elnath (2nd brightest in Taurus the Bull) when you look up. You'd probably need binculars.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here's a little video that shows the planets each night from May 20 to June 20. (If only the sky would clear!)

Planets May 20 - June 20, 2013

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Last year you could see Venus & Jupiter in conjunction (seeming close together in the sky) before dawn. Here is a picture taken in June near Buenos Aires: Beautiful pre-dawn sky

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Wow! Lots of pictures coming in of the triple conjunction of Venus, Jupiter and Mercury. I'm hoping we might see it tonight, as (so far!) the sky is clear.

Here's a great picture taken in Las Vegas yesterday, getting a good view of all three planets:

Triple Conjunction

Gecko
Gecko
I've been photographing the alignments several nights; two nights ago they formed a "planet sandwich" :), Jupiter close to horizon, Venus in the middle and Mercury above Venus. This is the first time I have seen Mercury above another planet, and farther away from the horizon than usual!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
That's great, Firefly. Do you take a lot of sky pictures?

We finally got some clear weather and I realized we couldn't see the planets anyhow. Being fairly low in the sky, by the time the Sun got around to setting here, they weren't visible. Sigh.

Gecko
Gecko
I enjoy astrophotography a lot! Got rid of my telescopes, have deep sky binocs and love naked eye gazing the best. Excellent dark skies where I live and love seeing what else shows up in pics (unexpected meteors). People have got to seize the moment with stargazing! I enjoy taking pics of ISS passes when they are very bright but haven't gotten any of Hubble yet. My challenge this year is to get a pic of the Full Moon rising with the fireflies blinking but so far unsuccessful frown

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.