Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Getting rid of stuff would be easy, if it weren’t for the emotions. Why is getting rid of some stuff so difficult? Read the article and find out.

Why Are We Emotionally Attached to Stuff?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Dear Tina,

People make their happiness depend ,on things,ideals etc.This is called attachment /cravings,the principal source of human sufferings.
If one detaches himself of everything and everyone,that person
will live samsara /total detachment of the 6 senses.

loong

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
For me it is because some of them are from my childhood where I was at least a little happy and the others are because I only have that to bring me happiness. Michael Schumacher is the reason why I did not kill myself in 2000 so what I have from him is important to me. The same goes for my Eric Lindros stuff since him too is a big part of my life. I have four "teddy bears" (1 teddy bear 1 cabbage patch doll 1 duck 1 Elmo) and three of them are from my childhood and these four always are near me in the house. Also I follow the Dallas Stars so a television with a satellite dish plus a computer with a connection to the internet (sometimes things happen and you cant watch it all or some on tv) is very important so I don't miss one of the rare things that makes me happy and can actually help me stop thinking about my pathetic life.

Koala
Koala
Dear Nancy,
I had 9 depressions from age 22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30.

All the sources of happiness seem to come from your past.What you do not seem to realize,hat is making you unhappy today,is your attachment to those things in the past,like you wrote,when,, you were well.Why can,t you be well NOW.
As long as a person depends on the past ,he/she cannot see what she is living in the present moment.
I remember when I tried committing suicide with a rifle,I still have the taste of metal in my mouth.

My living in these moments by moments,keep me in a constant (bliss) that is higher than happiness.

I only give suggestions,try I mean really try to focus on the moment you are living.
May you find a path that will give you happiness.

From ,to ,2creatures of the universe

Loong

N
N
Hi Loong! I made a mistake in my last pots, it was 1996 that Shumi saved me from suicide, I don't know why I wrote 2000 (could be that my brother died that year...ive been thinking about him often these past few days since this saturday its the day he died). If I would not of decided to watch the Spain Grand Prix in 1996 (dont know why i wanted to...never seen a race...never seen Shumi...i just wanted to get up early that day and watch the race) I would of killed myself, I had decided to eat brazil nuts since those are the ones that gave me my nut allergy. I did not try it before that but I was thinking of every way possible then calculating the possibilities of missing myself or not. Right now my life is worthless so that is why I go back to the past where at least I was not depressed. If Shumi would not of come back for three years my depression would of come back harder and I really don't know what I would of done. I have a way out from where I am right now but that would mean no internet, no satellite dish and being very careful with the little money I would have until I find a job so I don't go to bed hungry. 400$ or less a month for an appartment that has electricity included, you don't see that often! If I do get out of here and I do not cut my ties with my parents nothing would of changed except not living with them anymore and being without internet, satelitte dish and having less food (the way they budget their money its a miracle that we still have all those things).

I am very sorry to hear about your suicide attempt with a riffle! And thank you for replying to me, I would be in a worst shape if it weren't for the nice people I have met on the internet!

T
Parakeet
Parakeet
T
Tina, boy some of the items on your list really hit home. I'm going to have to re-think some of my clutter. Thanks for a good article.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Yes, this is a really good article, very thought provoking.

I'm still emotionally attached to stuff I don't even own any more. It's two years since I was sorting out and packing stuff in England to have shipped over here, and I'm still thinking 'why didn't I pack that?' and 'why did I give those away?'. I wonder if I'll ever forget about those things?

Grace Rostoker
Mystery Movies Editor

Mystery Movies Site
Mystery Movies Forum

Koala
Koala
To Nancy,

Tell me if you desire so,what is so wrong with your life.Told you a lot about mine.

With loving kindness
loong
you can send me a message if you desire so wink

S
SWK Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
This is a good article--and timely, too, for those of us who try to Spring Clean and get rid of things that aren't needed.

I don't have a problem getting rid of clothes that I don't wear anymore, shoes that are too worn, or things that are broken. In fact, I'm typically more of a purger than a keeper.

However, I have a major problem getting rid of childhood "stuff," which happens to be about four boxes of "stuff" that my parents saved and then gave back to me a couple of years ago! Most of it is "stuff" that I'd totally forgotten about--but now, ironically, I can't let it go! It's mostly silly things, like a couple of broken piggy banks that I LOVED as a child; an old coffee can full of rocks that I'd collected from various trips as a child (but I no longer remember where any of the rocks came from!); a beautiful but very creepy porcelain doll that my mom gave to me that I'd always hated but felt guilty hating because she'd told me over and over again how much she'd spent on it--and that my sister said had hair from corpses (which, of course, I believed); a bunch of albums that I thought might be worth something someday (but realistically won't--will anyone seriously ever pay for a couple of Shawn Cassidy albums?) . . . The boxes are crammed in our spare room closet, and I never look in them, but I just can't bring myself to toss them.

Like the article states, they all have memories attached to them. Maybe I'll try the photo thing. That way, I can look at the pictures and remember the items, but I'll reclaim my closet.

Except for the porcelain doll. She creeps me out; I don't want a photo of her . . .

SWK
N
N
Never had someone tell me I love you, never got any form of comfort, never had someone asked what is wrong, never had anyone telling me that I could do something and never had someone to come to my defense. My parents have been great at providing a roof and all the other material things (still dont know how they did it since they cant budget at all so it was always hard even when my dad had a nice salary at the end of his carreer...that we have not lose the new house even with about 100,000$ from the old house is a miracle), that's it. When I finally talked about the bullying (MANY YEARS it took me) my parents sent me to a psychiatrist because it was all my fault then I got yelled at because I never talked when I was in the office with the psychiatrist. I spent more than a year inside the house without even going outside for one second crying, sleeping and in front of the television and they did not care at all. Everytime I would talk about a dream of mine or a wish or my plans my dad would ignore or laugh and my mom would sigh or/and roll her eyes. When I dislocated a toe my mom called me crazy because I would not put my shoe on that foot when I went to the clinic and she ignored me when I came back home. I could go on and on about what my parents did, did not do and are still doing. I am still living with them in a small town where I can't find a job (had 16,000$ and stupid me decided instead of renting an appartment [with that money i would of had more than a year to find a job and would of had everything i needed and want] and i let them stole that money...some people would say that they took advantage of me and that i could not see it because i was down on myself and that my depression was back but i refuse to use these excuses..they asked to borrow it and it was MORE than obvious that they could NEVER pay me back) and unless I can finally find a job or I somehow become rich I am stuck here (unless i can get an appartment with electricity included for 400$ or less..im looking!!!). And almost 100% of the time I am out people look at me like I am either a psychopath or I have a contagious disease or they just look right at me laughing.

Moderated by  Tina - Living Simply 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.