Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

European Astrofest came of age in 2013, celebrating its 21st birthday. It was a memorable anniversary with a fantastic selection of speakers at sold-out lectures, busy exhibition stands, enthusiastic visitors, happy meetings and some sad farewells.

Astrofest 2013

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The first Astrofest talk was by Professor Steve Miller of University College London. He says that without one special molecule the universe could not have evolved as it did and we wouldn't be here!

The molecule is commonly known as tritium or, as he describes it, H-three-plus. Ordinary hydrogen has one proton and it has one electron, so it's electrically neutral. Hydrogen can have a proton & a neutron in the nucleus - this is known as deuterium. Tritium has a proton and two neutrons. H-three-plus is positively charged because it has no electron.

I don't know how it made the universe because I was at the airport meeting another speaker. But I've started reading Miller's book The Chemical Cosmos which I'll review when I've finished it.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 02/16/13 01:09 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Barry Madore gave a fascinating talk about galaxies in the ultraviolet, showing us some of the exciting and unexpected images from GALEX (Galaxy Evolution Explorer). We saw some previously unpublished examples which mean that ideas about the formation and evolution of galaxies needs revision.

But here's an example of the difference between what visible light tells us about a galaxy and what we can see in the ultraviolet. This is the spiral galaxy M81 and a satellite galaxy Holmberg IX .

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Some people went to great lengths to get a ticket for the conference sessions, as seen in this photo taken by Max Alexander.

"European Astrofest is the astronomer's rock and roll."

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 02/18/13 03:21 PM.
D
D
I am a science student for this reason i always search new topics about astronomical matter.Please send me your new collection about astronomy.

D
D
I hope You will post update topics in your site. I will be helpful by reading your new topics.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Hell, Doakori, and welcome to the Forum.

The astronomy site has over 160 articles on different areas of astronomy. They're updated regularly and there is a new one each one.

The Astronomy on BellaOnline main page is here and you can look for articles on different topics.

Best wishes on your studies.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.