Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#789986 10/29/12 12:28 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I've put together this list of tips for falling asleep. Which of these work for you? Do you have other tips to add in?

* keep the room cool

* take a hot shower / bath beforehand. It then makes the room seem cool.

* eliminate allergens / get a fresh pillowcase. I have to be sure to wash them with non-allergenic / non-bleach detergent to sleep best. I switch out the pillowcase even when I'm not ready to switch sheets.

* white noise helps. I run an air filter in my bedroom. Some people have apps on their phones that have a wealth of noises to choose from.

* make it *really* dark or wear an eye mask. I have double shades on my windows, and curtains too. I also cover up or turn off any glowing plugs or clocks. I keep my watch by my bed which is push-button to light up, if I need to know the time.

* avoid caffeine / chocolate / alcohol beforehand

* avoid glowy devices & TV for an hour beforehand. Light on your eyes causes melatonin not to be produced, because your brain thinks it's still daytime. So your brain needs that dark to start preparing for sleep.

* lavender as a scent can help bring on sleepiness

* chamomile tea is also known to help here

* keep a journal by your bed, with a glowing-pen. This way you can write without turning on a bright light. Here's an example if you haven't seen one -

glowy pen

This way if you have a thought that's stuck in your head, you write it down and then promise yourself "I'll deal with it when I wake up". Any time the thought circles back again, promise yourself you'll deal with it later. This is a training process. The more you do it, the more it works. So don't be frustrated if it doesn't work the first time, or second, or tenth. Keep at it. The training is key, and it does get better over time.

* exercise. I know we can sometimes tend to avoid exercise. But it really does help the body sleep MUCH more easily. Find something you love to do. Dance with your Wii. Go for a lovely walk in nature. Play with your pets. The more you do it, the better you'll sleep.

* remove stress from your life.

Last edited by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames; 10/29/12 01:43 AM.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
For the last 3 weeks I've done a series of 3 on how to get a better night's sleep. Here they are:

How to Get a Good Night�s Sleep
What to Do at Night in Order to Sleep Well
Have a good evening routine before you fall asleep

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Tina -

Those are great tips! We do have a soft nightlight in the bathroom.

The "early bedtime" is of course a varying thing - we all work different hours, so early for one person is late for another person smile.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We do also have a 39 page free ebook available for everyone, on Secrets to Falling Asleep! It covers a lot of what I posted here -

Secrets to Falling Asleep

Low Carb Forum
C
C
You just posted some great tips. I have a white noise machine and it really helps. My brain seems to focus in on that noise so nothing else bothers me! And I have to sleep in a cool room - I like to keep the fan on low even in the winter. Anyhow, thanks for the other tips - I think I have not been sleeping as well when my daughter turns on her nightlight because I like it dark! Guess it is time for the facemask!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Carolyn -

I agree that my white noise machine definitely helps me sleep. It mutes out all those "sharp" noises that might have otherwise woken me up.

Low Carb Forum
M
Shark
Shark
M
Nice post, then I have some asleep problem, Thanks for sharing, I would have a try on your tips!! Thanks again! :)

Come to pandahall to get your fashionable jewelry.
S
S
I had sleeping problem for long time and thus trying to adopt such tips to help my sleep so hope for the best.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It also helps to think thoughts of gratitude as you lay in bed. That way your mind focuses on the pleasant, helpful things in your life.

Low Carb Forum
D
D
Very interesting tips. One thing I always consider so that I can fall asleep or sleep well is indeed to have cool room having an air conditioner is not necessary as long as the air can circulate, it is okay. My sleep can be disturb especially if I feel the room gets warmer. sometimes, I love to sleep while listening to music especially the mellow ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DebbieMandel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.