Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello All and Glooby125 ...

I can't imagine that your parents actually called you that and assume that it is an internet persona you have created - Glooby 125, though to think that there are 124 other gloobies out there is frightening indeed.

Glooby125 sent an email which I found 'amusing' to say the least.

"Dear Lestie,
You can't be serious! Sticking a pot plant that you bought from somehere in a pot and giving it some water now and then does not constitute gardening in any way or shape or form. Why do you write about this stuff as if you take yourself seriously."

What would your answer to Glooby125 be. I would be interested.

Thanks and cheers

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 01/26/13 03:58 PM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Lestie.....this person, in my opinion, was rude to you and inconsiderate of the fact that many people do not have the space to plant substantial garden plots. Sometimes soil conditions are very poor and keeping a more contained area for planting is more feasible. If it were not for potted plants, those with small spaces could not enjoy home grown vegetables, herbs, and flowers.

Tending to any living plant and enjoying the beauty of it, to me, is indeed gardening. You will have more weeds to pull from a garden plot on the ground, but the plants in the pots will still need care like any other plant.....sunlight, water, food, etc. Any of that in the wrong balance will not yield a healthy plant.

It is unfortunate that some people can't or won't think outside of the box to consider other possibilities. I think what you provide to this site is wonderful and very helpful, Lestie.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I grow things in containers on the deck because the deer eat almost everything in the yard. I can't put up a fence in my neighborhood without jumping through lots of hoops.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello Angie and Debbie and all the Container Gardeners I know,

Thank you for your comments and information ... I actually received that email about two weeks ago and when I first read it I thought it was a joke, but realised then that it wasn't April 1st yet and this person was actually taking himself seriously!

Ordinarily I would ignore such a comment as not being fit to take up too much attention, (if get any at all), but then reasoned that each is entitled to his own opinion so why not.

Anyway, some things said in life can sting really sharply while others hardly rate a plaster! I know where this one fits, for sure, and actually hope that Gloopy125 doesn't waste too much more of his precious time lurking on this site - since to lurkland he has been banished. I shall let him sharpen his tongue elsewere!

Say thanks and cheers

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 01/29/13 11:01 PM.

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Please see separate post GROWING POTATOES IN CONTAINERS.
Thanks

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 02/10/13 02:34 AM.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Thanks

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 02/10/13 02:41 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lestie, first I would like to say that I am sorry you received that rude email.

I would like to clarify a point. Gardening is the nurturing of plant life. Some like to believe that hydroponics is not true gardening either. ha. Plant life grows in soil, in water, in peat or perlite. Does he mean that orchid gardeners are not gardeners because the orchids are not grown in the ground but in decayed material?

Container gardening is more challenging than soil gardening. Native plants will grow wild without the help of a gardener. Mother Earth is the ultimate gardener.

But the container gardener must be vigilant to maintain the proper growing conditions in a small pot. It's like little worlds unto themselves.

It is hard to container garden for me because I am easily distracted by other activities.

One of my containers did not drain well and the recent rain drowned the plant (hibiscus) because I didn't correct the drainage.

Another of my containers died because the plant was too large for the tiny pot and it got dried out. It was under the patio.

I'm saving my mint. Thankfully, the mint is hardy enough to withstand some dryness.

It's not only about watering but about the nourishment, sunlight, pot conditions, pruning, trimming roots, etc.

There are all types of gardeners.

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 02/10/13 03:20 AM.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Thanks

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 02/10/13 03:08 AM.
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Thanks

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 02/10/13 03:00 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Lori and Everyone!

I think this glooby person was being dismissive of container gardening - or maybe just trying to be mischevious. Reading between the lines it would seem that he-she knows a bit about gardening, enough anyway to hold this opinion ... perhaps he has tried and failed and failed and failed to grow anything in a container, and so thought he would offset his failures by being funny to others who love this aspect of gardening. WHATEVER!

You are so right Lori when you say:

"But the container gardener must be vigilant to maintain the proper growing conditions in a small pot. It's like little worlds unto themselves."
and
"It's not only about watering but about the nourishment, sunlight, pot conditions, pruning, trimming roots, etc."
and
"There are all types of gardeners."

People generally underestimate the attention that a Container Garden needs - the love, effort, attention and expense are just a few factors - the joy and fun and acievement are others.

C'MON GUYS ... what THREE words would you choose to describe your container gardening adventures ... okay, make it FIVE words! Let's see what replies we can build up - could turn it into a game of sorts - what do you say.

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 02/10/13 03:52 AM.

Container Gardening Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.