logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#785124 09/28/12 06:06 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I was at our Girl Scout council meeting last night and many leaders were not happy with the Journey books. What do you think about the Journeys and why?

Lisa Savarese
GirlScouts

Sponsored Post Advertisement
V
Wolf
Wolf
V
I do not like them. My girls do not like them. They are so much like schoolwork. They are boring. The subject matter has been done so many times and in so many ways that the girls do not want to do it again. It is unbelievable that doing a Journey is the only pre-requiste for our highest awards. If my daughter did not want to earn her Gold Award, she would not even pick up a Journey book. I lost over half of our Cadette troop immediately after we started the first and only Journey we attempted. They have watered down the Girl Scout organization trememdously. When the Journeys were first introduced we were told they would make being a leader so much easier b/c the program was completely planned out for the leader. Hah! A leader has twice the work now trying to re-work the Journey into something that the girls will enjoy.
I'm also not happy that the number of badges was so drastically reduced. Girl Scouts should have enough options to appeal to all girls but it is sorely lacking right now.

L
OP Offline
L
I couldn't have said it better myself. I look through the Journey books over and over hoping something will jump out at me. It is VERY much like school, even having to do some of the work at home. It is frustrating trying to come up with ideas to make the lessons fun, but I am just doing what I can with the material. Next month a few people from our main council will be there so we can ask them questions and I know they said one of them is supposed to explain why we have to do the Journeys. I am sure a lot of us are going to have many questions for them and I am looking forward to hearing their answers! Thank you so much for your input smile

Lisa Savarese
GirlScouts

L
L
I completly agree. I do not like the Journey's, my girls do not like the Journey's. We only do what we have to for advancement. My daughter just completed her Gold Award, the Journey being the only pre-requisite is a joke, it in no way compares to what my son had to do to complete his Eagle Scout award. When the journey's were first introduced I wrote to the national office outlineing my disappointment and the differences in the award now and I was just thanked for writing and told that some people liked them and some people didn't but basically thats the way this is now. I am also very disappointed in the lack of choices in badges now, I feel that they are just making all these changes as a way to make more money.

P
P
Hi :) This is my second year as a Girl Scout Leader. My girls are getting ready to bridge to brownies this fall. My girls are still young, but in regards to the journeys at this age level I guess they are still fun. I do agree that they are much like school work but I think I was able to add enough crafts and activities to still make it fun for the girls!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.