Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I've read a tremendous amount about goal setting, and one thing commonly recommended is to reward yourself by reaching goals, or milestones along the way to them.

I've discovered that giving myself goals is an exercise in futility. It just doesn't work for me. I end up not feeling invested. It's too much effort and I don't seem to follow through.

On the other hand, I respond really well to rewards that others give me. For example, I enjoy improving my amazon rank to get the top reviewer badges. I like posting in forums to see my avatar ranks improve. I like shopping at REI because I get cash back each year, and at CVS because i get dollar rewards for purchases every time I shop. I also get dollar rewards at CVS for using my reusable bag - a great incentive to remember to bring my own bags.

So I have been thinking of what things I can do to set up external rewards systems.

Here are my ideas:

- Rewards and mileages on credit card purchases. I can't get a credit card myself, but it remains a good idea.

- Signing up for the Walgreens walking/fitness program and using their system to account for exercising - they give you free items for achieving points. Okay, looking it up it is called Walk With Walgreens, and you get ten points for every mile (or equivalent) you walk and report. ...looking more, i think you only get coupons for points. That's not really a motivation. I can get coupons anywhere online. Um. I'm going to sign up anyway and see how I feel about the program.

-Shop with places that send me rewards money for shopping there: ALCO, ACE, CVS, REI

- maybe i can find some kind of Mastermind program for something that matters to me? With a dedicated group of cheerleaders for each other?

Let me think about more ideas.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, i am doing searches for 'rewards programs' and loyalty programs.

Swagbucks gives you points you can redeem for shopping cards by doing online searches through them. I'm going to sign up for this.

I just also found a Forbes article that is calling 2013 the Year of the Loyalty Program, and they mention 'gamification', which was something I was kicking around.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
According to the Wikipedia entry on motivation, creating motivation is a big deal for treating Autism Spectrum Disorders. I guess I kind of knew that. Just FYI for anyone.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Aha! I found exactly what i wanted to find. Apparently there are apps to satisfy many rewards needs: Gamify your life. There are some fascinating societal elements addressed in this article series.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
More rewards systems - target red debit card, coke rewards, ebates.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Update: I have been messing around with swagbucks and have 84 SBs already. They want you to DL their toolbar, which i did, and it seems to have slowed down my systems significantly. I am going to look into this more. I do like the idea of earning amazon gift cards!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Jilly -

It is *fantastic* that you are taking steps to work on this. We are all different, and we all respond to different types of incentives!

In terms of exercise, the Biggest Loser site is free and they have challenges that win you prizes. Maybe you should try that!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OKay, I am going to try that.

I also was thinking to find a pedometer app with my iphone and work on making sure i get at least 10,000 steps a day. So far I am messing around with various unsatisfactory apps.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Swagbucks has been problematic so far - i downloaded it to my toolbar on Chrome, and it slowed things down to a standstill. I'm not sure if it is incompatible with chrome, or what.

I actually am now using firefox just to get away from having to figure out what to do about my browser.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Swagbucks update.

OK, i moved pretty much back to Firefox for my usual work, and have been keeping chrome for swagbucks. I am slowly getting into the habit of using it every day, so i can accumulate enough points for a $5 amazon gift card.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.