logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Hi. I just lost my job and am very nervous about not being able to make ends meet. I have already applied for unemployment but am a bit overwhelmed. Does anyone have advice for me?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
J
Traci, this is an issue that many face nearly everyday. My first thought is to ask you what kind of skills you acquired on your last job? If you worked in administration you can use those skills as a virtual assistant. Many business owners need assistants and can't afford to hire a full time employee. Also there are many work from home (honest)companies, most require a computer connection and phone line. This may be a perfect time of year to get a call center or customer service job.

Jordan Mercedes
Business Owners
Repurpose WorkBusiness Owners Editor Bella Online
Forum Moderator
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Tracy I know a little about what you are going through. I lost my job back in July of this year. I have been floundering around, confused, depressed and lost. I live in a small town and there's just not a lot of jobs out there! Not to mention I'm disabled and a senior citizen. Not many places are too excited about hiring me. When I way laid off, I did not immediately adjust my spending habits and now I've got financial issues! Good Grief!! My advice: Hang in there!!! Budget money very carefully. Get rid of any expenses that are critical (I got rid of my land line phone and my DISH service so far). Use any contacts, friends, family, etc. to chat about jobs in your area. It's interesting what you can find out when you are just chatting with someone. Don't be embarrased to ASK for HELP! (That means going to charities for food baskets, clothes closets, food banks, soup kitchens, the government programs, etc.) Especially government help - good grief, that's what we pay taxes for!

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Sandra,
That is excellent advice! Sometimes people delay in cutting off unnecessary expenses and the money goes fast.

There is some debate on unnecessary expenses. For example, some people think that the Internet/cable is neede because they need it to search for a job. The library has free Internet use, you just need to go at a time when it's not filled with others waiting to use the computer.

The land line is good to get rid of when everyone else in the house has a cell. The downside? I did a telephonic interview with a candidate using their cell phone. The problem was that during the scheduled interview time they had decided they could answer the phone while out and about running errands. Do I need to say what a disaster that was?

Traci! Good luck! More advice? Have your resume ready for tweaking. Apply for jobs quickly because everyone else is applying at the same time.

Most important? Don't give up hope because that comes through when you do get interviews.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you so much for your feedback. I have not tried applying for anything virtual but have done that in the past, and got numerous scam proposals. I would love to do something online at home but don't know where to look.

Traci Falb
Moms Editor
T
OP Offline
T
Hi SandraJ, Thank you so much for your advice. I tried applying for government assistance but according to their calculations, my husband makes too much money. I was surprised we didn't qualify because we were having trouble making ends meet before, with both of us working. We don't have anything extra; we have no cable, no internet, no entertainment costs, and no credit cards. I wish you the best of luck. I hope something comes your way soon.

Traci Falb
Moms Editor
T
OP Offline
T
Hi Dianne, Thank you so much for your encouragement. I will keep at it!

Traci Falb
Moms Editor
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Traci It certainly sounds like you have cut back a lot of "extras." I don't have entertainment costs or cable but I do have my internet connection (using it now of course). No credit cards! Wow! You are way ahead of me on that step! I have one credit card "for emergencies." That darn government --- don't know about how they calculate things! I don't qualify for any help either. You mentioned you'd like a job that you can do from home - internet stuff - well, I've seen a lot of those things advertised but seems to be scams (like you said). I do recall at one time I read something about how to find "the real thing." I'll search around and see if I can come up with a valid, reliable place to check out. Keep positive! Sandra

T
OP Offline
T
Hi Sandra, Thanks so much for your reply. It helps so much to hear from people like you. I can't say that I just gave up my credit card. I had one but got behind and eventually my debt on it went into collections. After that, I just never applied for another one. I had hoped to pay everything off as I went but unfortunately, I got behind the last couple months and didn't get a chance to get caught up before losing my job. I will keep staying positive. I really appreciate hearing from you.

Traci Falb
Moms Editor
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Tracy You're welcome! I think it's very encouraging sometimes to find out we aren't alone in our issues / problems. I just thought of something else: maybe you can talk to your utility companies and see if they have a temporary plan for you to pay your monthly bills. Maybe they have one of those "flat rate" programs where you pay a set amount each month and the once a year they "balance" the books. Also, I don't know if you own your home, but sometimes mortgage / banks would rather work WITH you instead of forclosing (they really don't like to own the houses). Same thing with a landlord, maybe they will work with you...I don't know what the rental climate is like where you live, but in my town we have a lot of empty apartments & homes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.