logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Skurt Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I was told by some long time Boy Scout leaders that BSA recognizes that in today's world, some parents (especially single parents) might not be able to participate as leaders if they cannot bring other sons or daughters along on trips; that therefore siblings - boys or girls - can come on trips. Supposedly, this is documented; they mentioned a leader development guide, which I haven't heard of and can't find. I hope I can find some answers here. If we want to discuss whether it should or should not be done, or whether certain trips might or might not be appropriate for siblings, can we open another discussion?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
N
No discussion really necessary.

Cub Scout camping is family camping.

Boys Scouts, and older is not.

From the BSA Guide To Safe Scouting -

All Scouts registered in Boy Scout troops are eligible to participate in troop or patrol overnight campouts, camporees, and resident camps.

Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts 12 through 17 are eligible to participate in national jamborees. Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts 13 through 17 are also eligible to participate in world jamborees and high-adventure programs.

If a well-meaning leader brings along a child who does not meet these age guidelines, disservice is done to the unit because of distractions often caused by younger children. A disservice is also done to the child, who is not trained to participate in such an activity and who, as a nonmember of the group, may be ignored by the older campers.

So, unless your "long time Boy Scout leaders" can come up with something, in writing, from BSA, bringing siblings along on Boy Scout trips is not recommended.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I agree completely.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.