Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 72 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 71 72
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Quote:
So far the state of Texas only has 100,000 plus signatures on its petition to secede from the U.S.
Gee, I always believed that the number of the "lunatic fringe" residing there numbered in the millions!

Maybe they've been so busy trying to make sure that educators don't teach science and higher order thinking skills that a lot of them haven't learned to write.

Mona Evans
For news, activities, pictures and more, sign up to the Astronomy Newsletter!

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Even though I am no longer the moderator for this thread (just its creator), thanks Debbie, Francine and Mona for your recent posts.

Just had an epiphany of sorts...

What is the meaning of REST IN PEACE?
Sounds to me quite similar or exactly the same as CEASING TO EXIST.

Thus, who says that agnostics/atheists and theists have nothing in common in a non-other worldly view way!

Last edited by Les-Mexico; 11/27/12 05:55 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hmmm Les, well don't know about anywhere else but in Germany don't think the answer would be anything quite so esoteric.

It is probably more likely to mean "Hope you are left alone".

As graves are only leased for twenty years, unless there is someone around willing to take out another twenty year extension, you are dug up and someone else takes your place.

Actually have never got around to asking what happens to the original remains.

Perhaps subconsciously I don't want to know. shocked

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Are all CULTS of a religious orientation? Perhaps not necessarily. The following are some traits/characteristics that a cult leader may exhibit:

1. Has a grandiose idea of who they are and what they can achieve.
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, or brilliance.
3. Demands blind unquestioned obedience.
4. Requires excessive admiration from followers and outsiders.
5. Has a sense of entitlement - expecting to be treated special at all times.
6. Is arrogant, self-centered and haughty in their behavior or attitude.
7. Has an exaggerated sense of power (entitlement) that allows them to bend rules in their own best interest.
8. Is hypersensitive to how they are seen or perceived by others.
9. Devalues others as being inferior, incapable, or not worthy.
10. Has ignored the needs of others.
11. Is frequently boastful of accomplishments.
12. Needs to be the center of attention.
13. Doesn�t seem to listen well to needs of others, communication is usually one-way in the form of dictates.
14. Haughtiness, grandiosity, and the need to be controlling is part of their personality.
15. When criticized tends to lash out not just with anger but with rage.
16. Acts imperious at times, not wishing to know what others think or desire.
17. Is superficially charming.
18. Habitually puts down others as inferior and only they are superior.
19. Is deeply offended when there are perceived signs of boredom, being ignored or of being slighted.
20. Treats others with contempt and arrogance.
21. Is constantly assessing for those who are a threat or those who revere them.
22. The word �I� dominates their conversations. Is oblivious to how often they reference themselves.
23. Hates to be embarrassed or fail publicly.
24. Doesn�t seem to feel guilty for anything they have done wrong nor do they sincerely apologize for their actions.
25. Rigid, unbending, or insensitive describes how these people think.
26. Tries to control others in what they think and write.
27. Doesn�t think there is anything wrong with themselves� in fact sees themselves as the ideal.
28. Seems to be highly dependent on tribute and adoration and will often fish for compliments.

Note: The above list is an edited and modified version of an article that appeared in "Psycholology Today," 8/25/2012)

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Love it Les ! smile !!

Sounds a lot like my not-self or lesser self or carnal mind or ego or whatever.

Megalomania -- yeah.. Love it or lose it.. one way or another we all have varying degrees of this.

Here's a monkey wrench into the works:

The historical Jesus would fit that description to a T.

Here's the bridge to our collective "Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

http:
//samvak.tripod.com/journal79.html#jesus

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Gosh Les some/many of those "traits/characteristics that a cult leader may exhibit" which you list actually sum up the behavior of quite a few of my bosses when I was a lowly dwarf starting out in media.

Media as a religion or a cult? Hard to choose when one reads, or sees, the standard/accuracy of some of what is produced these days.

Where would you place it?

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi there Burt B,

Are you an atheist by the way? Just interested.

Thanks

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Les,

Going back to your post about the meaning of RIP - Rest in Peace ... I have always understood it as generally having died from illness, or dreadful sudden accident or tragically murdered or just from a life of toil and labour and difficulty ... may you now Rest in Peace.

Often in death notices or obits. one will be given a hint of the reason for the death - 'after an illness bravely borne' or 'tragically taken from us' (especially in the context of some news item of the day like a flood or fire or 10-car pile up on the highway).

I have never thought of the saying as being directly connected to religion. But then I have not done any specific research on the etymology of the phrase either.

Cheers for the nonce

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 12/01/12 08:52 AM.

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Lestie,

No.

A Deist.

Did a lot of occult < simply that which is hidden > research and searching...

Kinda freaked me out..

So now I just roll with the flow.

I know you know the entomology of occult -- However, in the US it is stigmatized.

I don't know if that is a double entendre -- but, hey I T.R.Y. < Theos Rule You >.

G.O.D. is kinda neat -- < Geometry Of Divinity >.

Who's Divinity ?

Why, yours and mine of course and everyone else's of course i.e. those that have a spark -- I'm sure you have run across those who have none.

There is a whole branch of 'heaven' that works with atheists and agnostics.

I like atheists and agnostics.

They're just tired of all the BS that's been crammed down our throat with fear mongering.

Way Cool ! cool !!

Cheers,

Burt B.

Blessed Be -- yeah the goddess smile

Oh, and God Love Mr. Shuttleworth and Ubuntu !!

I use it all day, every day.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hiya ... Wish Mr Shuttleworth would share a lots more of his Ubuntu!

He could buy up chosen unused land sites and put the people themselves to work to building up homes and towns with industry to get our people back to work and to a life worth living out of a lot of hunger and poverty and misery.

If he were as strict as he already is, then no greedy politician could steal anything or corrupt anything and any who slip through the net would be hounded out and punished accordingly. And all that has to happen is full and immediate exposure, that and being expelled from the project for evermore.

But see, I think like this because I do not have Mr Shuttleworth's money. Ah me Ah my!

Cheers

Container Gardening Site

Page 31 of 72 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 71 72

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.