logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#541688 08/08/09 02:12 AM
M
OP Offline
M
for those of you who quit and received unemployment, can you tell me more about how you did it/ the methods you used, etc? thank you

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Hi Meowmeow,
Receiving unemployment if you quit is extremely difficult. You need to prove that you HAD to quit for whatever reason...gross misconduct of your employer, harrassment or something along those lines. Keeping in mind that it is an employer tax and when they do get around to researching your case and if they hold a telephonic interview with the employer, you will need to prove your case. As an HR Manager, I've been a part of many of these interviews and never had anyone win unemployment that quit. They tried to claim that they didnt know the policy, unfortunately the fact that the policy was made available on the company Intranet which they had access to went against them...
I even had someone quit, file a claim, get approved for benefits and then when the paperwork came back to the company with that person's name listed on the roster as receiving benefits against the company, the agency was called, benefits stopped and now they have to pay back the money.
I heard that in rare cases it's possible, but I've never seen it happen in almost 20 yrs of HR. I would also be interested in hearing if there have been any success stories on people that have quit and received benefits.
Meowmeow, for whatever reason that you may need to quit in today's job market, I do wish you luck!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
M
OP Offline
M
Diane, unfortunately, my problem is that my car is on its way out, and my commute is an hour each way to work. I cannot afford a new car, Im just BARELY making ends meet as of now. I will have to find a new job that allows for public transportation, but this job isn't accessable by public transportation - so that's my dillema. Am I still w/o a chance?

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Hi Meowmeow,
Unfortunately it depends on the state. Many states do not have a provision so that you can collect unemployment due to transportation reasons. Most states would still say that you're quiting for personal reasons. I would never say never, the BEST thing to do is contact your state's unemployment office. The answers on their sites on the Internet are often very vague.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
H
H
Hi Dianne, Thanks for this unemployment forum!!! I just joined. I still have a job, but have become a vicim of workplace politics, and I fear that my job is hanging by threads. I work in VA and live in DC. If I am let go, will I qualify for unemployment in DC or VA? Also besides not qualifying for unemployment due to misconduct, do other types of job performance disqualify someone for unemployment? THANKS!!!

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Hi hardworker and welcome!!!

You would apply for unemployment in the "state" where your job is located. In this case it looks like Virginia.

..Misconduct actually covers a wide range of performance issues. We had someone who just stopped showing up for work or would call and leave messages during the hours that we were closed so he was released for no call, no show or "voluntary" resignation and because the behavior was covered in the policy manual, they were denied benefits.

Good luck to you and stay in touch. I apologize for my slow response here, just getting back in town!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Everyone:

The above post is from the COLD FILES.

It may help someone today or have additional comments.

Enjoy smile

Career Aptitude Test
Career Change
Career Coaching Training
Career Counseling

Tiger
Tiger
Everyone was surprised when I got unemployment in spite of being fired by WalMart a few years ago. This was my 2nd time getting unemployment. The employer has the option to state why they feel you should not get your benefits - but I had a feeling on my insides that I would get it. LOL, glad I headed to the unemployment office to do my online application right after being fired. Why did I get it? WalMart was famous back then for "firing" folks just because they could - that has changed. In my case, my old manager had quit (a very awesome boss) and his replacement was all about having all the registers covered no matter what. At the time, my now 25 year old daughter was a minor and if I was not home - she was not/lol. In Florida at the time, the local sheriff held ALL parents accountable for when their child was not home. I have never been in jail (yes, parent went to jail regularly) and was not about to. When my shift was over - it was time to shut down my register and head home. Being a single parent did not give me the option to stay just because my replacement did not show up. My old boss understood and when I could stay, I would for him. A lot of companies just do not get this. Treat your employees with respect and they have your back smile

N
N
Hi Dianne W - I have a question about quitting and getting unemployment. In Jan 2012, I quit my job and I am now in the process of filing for unemployment. I am filing now because my own business is not working out and I can't pay my bills and I need to go back to an office. Last Jan, when I was in the HR office, they asked me if I wanted to put "voluntary" or "involuntary" on my file. The HR woman said it would be easier to get unemployment with involuntary, but that it would be harder to ever work for the Company again in the future. I chose "involuntary". I was also given a 10 week severance package and HR said that that would also make it easier for me to get unemployment. I am still feeling like I have to lie on this form, though, because I quit. I had been out on disability for 6 months and when I came back in to work, they had put someone in old position, which was perfectly legal for them to do. When I was in the HR office doing paperwork to return to work, there was a frank discussion about once I was "on boarded" again, that if I wasn't performing, then I would be put on a PIP, which had been discussed before I went on disability. I was still very depressed and the idea of a new role with the pressure of PIP in a new role, not even PIP in my old role, was too much. So, I quit and they gave me 10 weeks full pay. It just feels like I have to lie or at least stretch the truth on this unemployment form.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.