Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#781347 09/05/12 09:41 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Now that Diana is the birds editor, I guess I will pose a question that has me wondering. My name is Z. G. Standing Bear and I have operated a national (USA) hedgehog rescue for 15 years (www.hedgieflash.com). I have also cared for finches for even longer (22 years). Most of these have been Zebra finches, but we have also had Society finches and Owl finches. So, I have a lot of finch stories. We have had two Zebra finches that lived to 15 years of age and at present, our oldest fellow, Winston, Jr., is nearing ten years old. Recently, I encountered a finch behavior for the first time and would like to ask about it. The quality finch breeders locally tell me that, as a rule, females are compatible and males are (usually) compatible but like to roughhouse, and female/male pairs are OK and a combination is fine as long as males equal females or if females outnumber males in a group. Well, a few months ago I introduced two females to a male that had recently lost his mate. One of the new females went after the other female, dive bombing her and driving her under the papers on the bottom of the cage. In almost no time, the victimized female had feathers plucked from her neck and she could not even fly to a low branch without being attacked by the other female. I don't know if the male participated in this abuse or not, but I never caught him at it. I removed the abused female and placed her in a cage by herself, where she recovered and florished. In over two decades of caring for these birds, I have never seen such aggression. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I have rarely heard of this behavior. Is there anyway possible the female finch that did the abusing could of met the male in any way shape or form? Even sound communication - they could have bonded. I am throwing out a guess but we will keep this question actively bumped as we bring new and existing members into the bird forum. It is an interesting question and dilemma. The posted question [quote]I introduced two females to a male that had recently lost his mate. One of the new females went after the other female, dive bombing her and driving her under the papers on the bottom of the cage. In almost no time, the victimized female had feathers plucked from her neck and she could not even fly to a low branch without being attacked by the other female. I don't know if the male participated in this abuse or not, but I never caught him at it. I removed the abused female and placed her in a cage by herself, where she recovered and florished. In over two decades of caring for these birds, I have never seen such aggression. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear[/quote]

M
OP Offline
M
There is a good finch breeder locally where I obtain new finches as the older ones here depart. When the female companion to the male finch we have had for a year died, my intention was to replace her with a similar looking female. However, the breeder had two females available, so I brought home both. They had been living together in a large colony of males and females (no nests, so no breeding took place) without incident, according to the breeder. They were introduced to the male here at the same time. The female that bonded with the male had the same coloration and similar size where the abused female was a little smaller and had different coloring (a lot of white feathers). This is the first time in 22 years I have observed this seemingly odd bit of bird sociology. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I think it is highly odd behavior. As people adjust to me and warm to the forum I am hoping we get some advice on this quandary. I very curious.

M
OP Offline
M
I think it is odd, as well, since I have not seen this before. The abused female has lived alone and has regained all of her feathers and is very spirited and lively. The other pair has given birth to two babies, one of which has survived and is doing well. Both babies made it out of the nest, but the smaller of the two (who left the nest later) did not make it. I don't know if s/he naturally died or was withheld food by the parents. The surviving baby is doing well and can semi-fly (about a foot high so far). There is not a way to tell the gender of the baby until coloration comes in. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
We don't understand human behavior so I guess we don't completely understand bird behavior. I am still looking for someone's take on this behavior quandary. Come on bird enthusiasts speak up! Write up>?

M
OP Offline
M
Well said. We don't understand hedgehog behavior very well, either, which are the longest continually surviving placental mammals on earth (67 million years - they used to hang out with dinosaurs). Hedgehog mothers will kill the babies if she feels they are threatened or sickly. Skilled hedgehog breeders have a litany of strategies to keep the hedgehog Moms relaxed and not bothered with the outside world. Perhaps finch behavior also follows along a similar line. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Rabbits will kill babies too. The bird behavior is not something I have heard of either. Keeping this conversation going until we have an answer. 67 MILLION years?

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Z. G. Standing Bear is a fascinating person indeed. He guest authored an article at my Exotic Pet BellaOnline site, and I also have an interview with him.

Guest author Hedgehogs - A Complete Pet Owners Manual

Interview with Z. G. Standing Bear Hedgehogs - Interview with Z.G - Standing Bear - Hedgehogs

M
OP Offline
M
Fossil records. The very oldest hedgehog fossil records occurred in what is now the Czech Republic. Hedgehogs also populated North America between 10 and 23 million years ago but went extinct here about 10 million years ago according to fossil records published by two researchers at the University of Kansas. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.