logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Would it be too distruptive to segrgate child-free passengers from those with children on trains, plains and buses etc? Why can I not choose to travel in a peacful, serene atmosphere with my fellow child-free companions, rather than have to endure the screams/shreiks/wails/shouts of bored/hungry/delinquent babies and children in the close vicinity? One of the many reasons I choose not to have children is because of the constant noise, the whineing, the complaining - why then should I have to put up with this from other people's lifesyle choices, where-ever I go? It is their choice, and it should not be inflicted on those who choose differently. People in Britain are no longer permitted to smoke in public places, to protect the rights of those who choose not to...? The same applies for restaurants - how many times have I had a potentially romantic dinner ruined by the presenece of badly-behaved children, I have lost count. I just think it would be fair to have the option to travel/spend time in a child free environment if the I wish to. Why do people with children seem to have more rights than those who choose a different lifestyle? Rant over now, thanks. :)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I'd pay extra to use a child free train compartment or movie screening room. Seriously.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Kids on public transport are a nightmare. Usually over-excited, running up and down, going - needlessly - to the bathroom umpteen times, slamming doors, etc.

I heard a woman complain to a father after a boat trip when his two children had done all the above through the whole journey, and he just gave her a superior smile and said 'oh yes, we had a great time', as if she were at fault for not finding his little darlings as adorable as he did.

Some people, you just want to wipe the smile off their face.

Grace Rostoker
Mystery Movies Editor

Mystery Movies Site
Mystery Movies Forum

M
Shark
Shark
M
Hippy Pie, I don't know that a child free travel experience is possible. I know first hand your frustration after sitting behind an extremely bratty and whiny child on a four and a half hour flight to Arizona. However, I've also sat by children who were great....you never know. I'd suggest a neck pillow and ear plugs (which I love on flights). Also, choose a destination and activities geared more toward the child free couple (in other words not Disney!). I'd suggest Going to Las Vegas, hitting up the great spas and seeing shows, hiking in the canyons. Another favorite is San Francisco, it's awesome there. You can drive up to wine country and spend the day (or more).

Last edited by missyT; 06/18/12 11:48 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Missy, that is some great advice!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Hippy-Pie!

I've got 3 kids and I totally get it. While we travel at least 4x/year, every time we get off the ship, airplane, or train, we are commended on how well-behaved our children are (knock-on-wood).

That said, I work really hard to keep my children busy so that you are not bothered. I do not think that your request is too much to ask. People with children probably wish the exact same thing. I do.

You have every right to think that the children are not your responsibility and to think that they are too loud. Ever wonder how that parent might be feeling? Often times you have simply caught that family at its worst moment and that parent at wits-end. Sometimes, what you think, is exactly what it is..."bratty, loud, unruly children."

If there were more spaces that were designated as "child-free", I think we would all be happier. It's less work and stress for parents and a quieter life for those without children.

Sometimes (hear me out) when I check into this forum I am amazed at how angry and mean people sound here. It's much like my neighbors that feel like my children should only be seen getting into and out of a car. They leave me wondering why single people and Married Couples with No Kids move into homes that have 3 bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms, are surrounded by parks, and have grassy common areas, expect no children to live in the community. Then, I retreat, just as I do when I come here. I accept that it is good to be aware of the "Married No Kids" voice, and not necessary to respond or react or be offended. I remember that having the knowledge allows me to remember my manners and responsibility to my family and to you by keeping my children occupied when we travel and dine.

I wish I had the money to create more adult-only areas, but I don't. I also wish it were not so easy to sue an establishment for creating such concepts that could be misconstrued as discrimination. Maybe someone here has the resources and solutions. Maybe, just asking for considerations from the establishments that you are paying your money to can lend some special accommodations.

I apologize for the family that ruined this last trip, I'll bet they are learning along the way. Maybe next time bring a small pad and crayons and hand it to the kid, that might be a polite nudge that they could learn from.

Good luck and I hope your next trip is more enjoyable.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I'm fearful if they put all the families with kids in the same area it would result in utter chaos and no one would win. There are some kids that even other kids should be separated from...consider the one bad apple.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Jilly-

I too would pay extra for that (can't wait til my youngest is 5 and I can vacation alone-2 nights would be great).

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Originally Posted By: Jilly
I'd pay extra to use a child free train compartment or movie screening room. Seriously.

I would, too, but I wonder "why should I have to?" Why can't there be "child friendly" movie theaters that charge extra to bring your kids...I mean, there is more cleanup involved with young screaming children throwing food and toys everywhere...

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
i think people with kids get special dispensation and that would never actually happen. I'd be happy to at least have the option to pay more and have peace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.