Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Shark
Shark
S
Originally Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
Jilly.....periods are an annoying expense, I agree, and it seems that the companies who make feminine items really take advantage of us with their pricing. But considering the mess and the bacteria....well, I am eternally grateful that we have disposable supplies for this purpose. I personally could not be dealing with reusable substitutes. I am all about not wasting, recycling, and reusing, but this is just one area where I can't be frugal. Just me.

Debbie, do you know the menstrual cup? It is a lot more hygienic than all your reusable options. And a lot more frugal than anything else! It costs (here in Europe) less than 30 euros and can be used at least 5 years. Not to mention how much space you make in your bathroom.

Since I found about it, totally by chance at age 41, I have learned how powerful big companies are to impose their over-prized non reusable items and show their commercials all over the place, while something like the menstrual cup, so old as the tampons! is unknown to most women because, well, it wouldn't be profitable for big companies.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I am not a fan of sticking something up there and leaving it in. I don't even use tampons. I want the bacteria to be able to leave my body as soon as possible. This option is not appealing to me, but thanks for the suggestion.

Debbie
(formerly Cassie67)

Last edited by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor; 05/10/12 11:05 AM.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Debbie, i am similar. I am not worried about bacteria, but i don't like futzing around in my yaya. smile

I only wear a tampon if I have nothing on me and someone gives me one. I do keep them in my first aid kit, though. smile

I can see where a cup would be very convenient for tampon users! Dump it, rinse it, and put it back, right?

Last edited by Jilly; 05/10/12 06:38 PM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
AKLisa, that is funny about the wasps. Or less funny in person, I'm sure. I guess in the winter that's not much of an issue?

I like how you carry it off to the woods anyway (the blood). I'd do that too. I hate tossing valuable ecological nutrients away. smile

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Better late than never! My cycle came today and I immediately grabbed one of the smaller cloths as a panty-liner type. No wings, so it slid around and only worked semi-properly. It is soaking in cold water in a mini bucket right now.

When I got home I grabbed one of the wider ones that overlaps the sides of my undies. This one is staying in place much better.

The diaper fabric is very smooth and comfortable and I don't even notice the thing is there. I made sure to have fresh ones in my purse today, and included a baggie for the used one if i needed to change it out.

So far so good. I will have to think of adding some kind of wings to the narrow ones.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Day two: the wider cloth pads are working well. They are not sliding around and they handle the blood without spilling. I guess diaper material does what it is supposed to.

I am doing a lot of sitting and typing and usually by now with pads I feel chafed. So far it's lovely. I still don't notice the pad is there.

Note: I am finding on the web that some people are calling cloth menstrual pads "mommy cloth." Personally that term annoys me (no kids here!) but i can see where people might like it.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oops. I accidently dropped my cloth today into a public toilet. Plop. I forgot it was there!

I just reached in and fished it out. I rinsed it in the sink and put it in a plastic bag i had in my purse for used pads. No problem.

When I got home I added the pad to the other ones soaking in water with a tad of detergent. I have them in a small crock.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well, my period seems to be over. It went swimmingly with the cloth pads. I was so comfortable!

My next step is to wash out the used ones. I will report on how clean they got. I always have trouble with blood stains. But they've been soaking in soapy water the whole time, so maybe they will rinse out well.

Anyone have great blood stain cleaning techniques?

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am looking at my cleaned and dried pads. They are totally white! I am so pleased.

My experiences with spilling blood on things like sheets and undies (sorry if TMI, but this thread IS about periods) is that i never totally get the stains out. It's clear to me that the secret is not letting the blood dry out in the first place. By rinsing the pads under cold water (never hot), and then placing in a crock with water and a tablespoon of detergent, these are super simple to get totally clean when your period is done.

What I did:

-rinsed used pad under cold water. Hot water sets protein stains, FYI.
-set pad in crock with water and minute amount of laundry detergent
- when period was over, I used spray and wash on stained part of pads and set.
- handwashed pads under running cold water briefly, to get soap out. I rubbed the pad cloth together to loosen stains.
- let pads air dry. I just placed them over a wire shelf. Do not use machines with heat - remember that heat sets blood stains. Also, i think placing these in a dryer would be overkill. Treat the pads like you would your nicer underwears. smile

Anyway. Totally white, clean and nice smelling from the detergent. I didn't need to use any bleach at all. If I didn't have spray and wash, I would have used hydrogen pyroxide.

What are your experiences cleaning your cloth menstrual pads? Did you get them stain-free? Do you use bleach?

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I had purchased premade cloth pads from one of the companies that is still around. The only colors available were dark colors. I soaked them in a crock of cool water with a small amount of laundry soap (I didn't use detergent at the time). The colors all faded out of the pads quickly, turning them to dull ashy colors. They were definitely clean and not-bloodstained however.
I didn't understand the reason for the the dark colored cloth. Most of my cloth ads are no a light shade of gray or sort of a lavender color, it is just what they faded to.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.