Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Want to use under 400 kWh of electricity a month? Here are my notes on trying to get my electric use count to this small goal. Even if these ideas don't work for you, there might be a tip or two in here you can adapt for your own family.

Using Less Electricity - My Case Study

What do you do, or have heard of someone doing, to really get their electric bill down?

Last edited by Jilly; 05/07/12 01:03 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Jilly,

You're so full of good information. I hate to think of the electric we waste. It seems I am always complaining about charges that are not unplugged, lights that are left on, etc. I wish we had solar and wind powered everything!

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Dear Jilly,
I live in a 3 1/2 apt.Tonite outside it will be -13,tomorrow all day -1.How cold does it get ,when it gets cold where you live.
Here we have average nights -20 to -25 degrees ,sometimes -40 .
My electicity bill came in today. For the 2 coldest months of
winter it is $168. canadian. exactly 56 days and that includes the 15 % tax we have to pay on electricity and everthing that has
been manufactured,except food.

You talk of solar system ,they are expensive,would it be worth the savings?You talked of a generator ,these work on petrol,where is the savings.Just to know, how much your 400 watts goal will cost you per month?

Just asking.

loong

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Lyn-Christian Lit
Jilly,

You're so full of good information. I hate to think of the electric we waste. It seems I am always complaining about charges that are not unplugged, lights that are left on, etc. I wish we had solar and wind powered everything!

Me Too !!!

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Dear Jilly,

In my last post,i asked how much your electicity bill would cost at 400 kwh.Mine cost me $ 30.79.

So if you have time could you answer my question .

With friendship in mind,

a simple buddhist called
loong

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Loong, this is from the Altestore.com:

"Generally speaking, solar electric systems take from 12 to 20 years to pay for themselves depending on your location and what your local utility charges for electricity...That said, more and more states have very aggressive rebate programs and tax credits for both individuals and businesses to reduce the initial cost of the system."

My recent bill for 561 kWh is $48.61. I saved $15 by being in the low income energy support program at 26% saved.

I would save 30% at under 400 kWh a month. I expect to get there once Dan leaves - this is an amount for two people, one of whom (dan) has a heavier electrical use style than i do. smile

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Last April my lowest energy bill was 206 kWhs with a bill of $18.20. smile

I don't plan to have a full solar system - my plan is to find a cheap kit, like the amazon one i recommend in my article, and only use smaller appliances with it. For heating, I want to plan on using a woodstove (and found burnables). For cooling, I plan to camp in the mountains for the three hot months.

I realize these are more radical ideas than is feasible for most people, but experimenting is fun, and i might give someone some ideas.

Last edited by Jilly; 03/27/12 07:40 PM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lyn and Burt, thank you. I've found for that for turning off appliances at it's most simple level, a surge protector outlet is worth it's weight in gold. I wrote my ideas about using those here: using power strips to save energy and money!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tonight i am looking around in my studio and noticed I have 5 CF bulbs going inside, and one burning as an outdoor light.

These are all using around 15 watts, which isn't bad, but LED bulbs would be even better. From looking around, the LED screw in bulbs are around $20. I can't afford those just yet, but can save up and try to replace them one by one.

For the lone outdoor light, I'd like to find a way to have that run purely on solar.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I unplugged my CFL outdoor light last week and am now relying on my one dollar (from walmart's gardening area) LED solar light stakes to guide me around at night. I have them lining the driveway and going up to my front door.

Total cost - $6 to buy and no electrical fees ever. They are $1 each from walmart (total of six). LED lights do not have filaments to burn out and solar power lasts indefinitely. Installation fees also zero - you shove the pointed poles into the ground. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.