Print Thread
#738770 01/07/12 03:08 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

COLOGNE CATHEDRAL

It is a magnificent sight now as it stands by the Rhine River dominating the Cologne skyline, but the Cologne Cathedral took over 600 years to complete.

Construction on the gothic cathedral had begun when Cologne was part of the Holy Roman Empire, but it was not finished until 1880 when 'Koeln' was a city belonging to a newly United Germany, with Wilhelm I as the first German Emperor. Today the 'Koelner Dom' is one of the country's most important architectural monuments.

Cologne Cathedral

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 01/07/12 01:06 PM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Francine, I love the way you're teaching us more about Germany's history and magnificent sites.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Hello Francine!! The Koln Dom is exquisite with two of the most impressive pipe organs in the front and the back, at least they used to. Excellent acoustics also. Did they improve that recently and how did they do it?

Susan Kramer, you also have an exquisite church in Amsterdam, the Oude Kerk

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 01/07/12 05:00 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Thanks so much Susan, it means a lot to know you enjoy it. Must admit from rather inauspicious beginnings I grew to love Germany and its culture, and thoroughly enjoy myself writing about it all. Feels a bit like a short holiday each time.

The sarcophagus is just an amazing sight in �real life�, and to think it, and the cathedral itself, were made so many centuries ago. Gives pause for thought.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Dave, Not sure when you were last in the cathedral but the sound has improved enormously since the Klais organ was raised about six feet, which has helped it travel through the enormous area. As you know there were quite a few problems with the acoustics.

An organ was placed at the beginning of the nave in June 1998 and that helps to make what has been described as an �avalanche� of sound. It looks amazing too, a bit like a piece of modern sculpture although it is known as a �swallow�s nest�.

Here is a clip from last year, the video is not that inspiring perhaps, but the sound is:
Cologne Cathedral Pipe Organ

and here is one from 1980 before all the changes��..with some views of the cathedral:
Te Deum of Jeanne Demessieux

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Vielen dank Francine, for the pics and videos. You know, when you walk into some of the remaining cathedrals in Europe you are hit with a "mountain" for lack of a beter word, of inspiration. Its just an aura that they have that to me is somewhat transforming. I am sure the architects who built them wanted people to feel that also. This probably sounds somewhat simplistic but whatever you feel on the outside of such a edifice when you enter you automatically feel like you are a part of something greater. Thanks again Francine!!

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Francine, every time I read one of your articles like this I am transported to another time and place that is just so lovely. I am a great history buff and your articles are always fascinating to me. Thank you!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you Phyllis.

Am so happy you enjoy the articles................have to say an article on Cologne Cathedral writes itself really. It is such a wonderful place.

Have seen it so many times now and each time is as impressive as the last.

It is amazing to realize how it was originally built with relatively primitive methods and tools, while the history and changes it has 'seen' in its lifetime are quite something to think about.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 01/31/12 10:34 AM.

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.