Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
The kitchen is the heart of the home, but it can be a challenge to keep it running smoothly. This is especially true at holiday time. The holidays often tend to be food centered.

I love to cook, but it's so much more relaxing when everything is easy to access. A well stocked pantry is important too.

How do you manage to keep your space organized? How do you streamline things? What is your biggest challenge? Let's all share what we know. I am sure we can all use a extra tip or two.

Kelly Jayne McCann
Organization Editor

Don't forget to sign up for the How To Organize Newsletter. It's filled with practical tips and links to great resources!

Learn about me - I teach people how to organize, clear clutter, set goals & get things done!
My mantra: Clear your clutter - Find your happy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Kelly:

Not a fan of the kitchen but I do like to have a cabinet dedicated to my spices only & ideally arranged by size. This makes it easier to see and reach for stuff.

Do you have any tips of your own to share with us?

Love your site!

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Hi Angela,

I have loads of tips. One of my favorites is to rethink where things go. Make ease of access the driving criteria. Really think about how you use your kitchen.

Store frequently used objects in easy-to-reach locations (e.g., keep coffee mugs above the coffee pot). Items used less frequently, such as roasting pans, should be stored on a high shelf or in the back of a cabinet. Items that are used less than once or twice a year can be stored outside the kitchen, and should be if space is an issue. Overcrowding your cabinets and drawers is a sure fire method for attracting frustration.

If I may ask, why aren't you a fan of the kitchen? Is it it a cooking thing or just not liking the room in general?

Kelly Jayne McCann
Organization Editor

Don't forget to sign up for the How To Organize Newsletter. It's filled with practical tips and links to great resources!

Learn about me - I teach people how to organize, clear clutter, set goals & get things done!
My mantra: Clear your clutter - Find your happy!
Tiger
Tiger
Yes you can ask me anything Kelly!

I grew up around a mom that was abused physically, mentally, emotionally, verbally and so on.

She was the "barefoot, pregnant & in the kitchen" wife. I PROMISED myself that I would not end up that way.

Thank goodness Sylvester has no problem with sharing with the cooking and in fact does a better job than I do(lol).

But to be fair, I do get in there and muddle away and pray I don't poison him...

Thanks for the tips - will be using them...

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Angela -

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. That is a shame. I think we are doing a better job in modern days of reaching out to abused women but clearly we still fall short. Do you know a woman is hit - in the US alone - every 9 seconds by an abusive partner? We need to create a climate where partners do not feel violence is OK, and where abuse victims have an easy to access safety net.

It's a shame that your perceptions of a part of a house were so permanently affected by what you went through. One would hope that a person's house as an adult felt completely like a "safe zone" - with every room included in that.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Lisa:

Thank you!

Yes, the more I am with Sylvester, the more I am finding myself wanting to cook(lol).

So I guess even at age 53, God does have a way of "healing" us.

I had to realize that he is a good man and has no problem with helping. I had run across too many men that were looking for someone to cook, clean and so on. They grew up with this way of thinking so I could not be mad. I just had to learn to "avoid" them.

You are doing an AWESOME job with this site and I thank God every day that I am able to visit. Not as much as I use to in the past, but I am "addicted"...

And it is a GOOD addiction.

Happy Holidays Lisa & Bella Family - 2012 is on its way with some AWESOME stuff for us ALL!!!

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 12/20/11 10:42 AM.
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Not exactly an organization tip as much as a saving time in the kitchen tip.
I read about this years ago and have used it ever since....

When putting silverware into the dishwasher to wash - sort the silverware as you are putting it in. One section of the silverware caddy for small spoons, one for large spoons, one for knives, etc. This makes the put away time easier and faster - especially when children are involved.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Angela -

I'm so glad that you are healing, and I'm thrilled you enjoy our community smile We love having you with us!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Lisa -

Just to offer another point of view, I deliberately do NOT do same-items in the silverware caddy smile The spoons are notorious for fitting into each other and therefore not getting fully clean. So I am always careful to have only one or two spoons mixed in with forks in order to keep them from "spooning". The knives have their own area with slots to keep them all separate from each other, so the blades get fully clean.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I do not have a dishwasher and try to have as few utensils as I can get away with. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.