Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#729769 12/09/11 01:38 AM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I would love to hear about your vacation in Germany and Austria. What were your favorite places you visited? It must be beautiful over there. Did you scale the mountains?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Phyllis:

Yes he is back, noticed in the Walking Forum.

He was missed BIG TIME by Rosie as they both have kept the Walking game going.

When I was the editor for that forum, I had asked about the game as it was pages and pages long...

Needless to say, it continues and Lisa reassured me it would not crash the forum(lol).

I had to stop by and add my "two cents"....

Beetle, I had no idea you went to Germany until I asked where you were in the Walking forum game - welcome back and YES, I too want to hear how it went.

Hey, got any pictures...

Pictures... Yes, lots of pictures were taken. Resolution of the wife's digital SLR seems to make files that approach 5Mb each; not very friendly for posting or e-mailing. Until they are available, a simple search of images on the internet can whet your appetite.

Scaled mountains? Did eat some trout in Austria, but I didn't see many scales on it. Had to 'scale' the luggage since it was limited to 50 lbs each with all the 'booty' coming back. Region has not received the usual October snows to generate ski resort opening. Pretty sad, but made for many attractions being fully operational.

Every location has it's place in my heart & memories, with these making the largest impact...

- Innsbruck was her trip to Swarovski World & mine was the cogtrain/cable gondolas trip to the Hafelekarspitze ridgeline over looking Innsbruck to the immediate south. A simple 2-day tourist card permitted museum entries, mass transit, & a one time 'up-down' to any of the 3 ridgelines (we took the newest)

- Salzburg was Hohensalzburg Fortress & coming down the funicular (inclined railway) into the emerging night-lit city at dusk; the Salt Mine Tour after traveling the border region with Germany & seeing Hitler's Eagle Nest near Berchtesgaden.

- Rothenburg ob der Tauber could find me returning to explore more of the well-preserved medieval old town. The internet pictures only present half the story.

- Garmisch-Partenkirchen led to another alpine assault via cog train & cable gondolas - the Zugspitze, Germany's highest point at about 9,800' above sea level... still no snow, just a galcier. Was able to see mountains in Italy, Switzerland, & Austria (but then Austria is just on the opposite slope of the mountain).

- Munich fulfilled my wishes from high school German classes to visit the Hofbrauaus & see the Glockenspeil at the Marienplatz (main city plaza/square).

- Not to mention being well filled with Brots, Schnitzel, sauerkraut & spaetzel.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Trust you to �make a difference� with your arrival Beetle, the weather has been milder for this time of year than it has since records began in 1881, so no indeed no snow.

The Germans think of Chimney Sweeps, as �Good Luck Charms�, and in desperation last week one of the ski resorts drafted in a whole pack (is that the right word) of them to bring the resort Good Luck���and snow. Well as far as I know a few flakes have fallen in various places since then, but not many and just a bit too late for you Beetle.

Super to hear you enjoyed your trip though, you certainly packed in a lot of the good stuff, and I don�t mean only the food etc.

By the way did you manage to find any Flammkuchen on your travels?

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Yes, Flammkuchen was found along with many other similar fares at the stall in the Christmas markets.

Snow may not have been present but that lent to my rapid ascend of the Partnach Gorge (Partnachklamm) at Garmisch. Advertised to be a 1-hour one-way trek after a 20-minute walk from the bus stop. The 2 hour + 40 minute adventure was accomplished in 1.5 hours, in order to catch the laast bus running before a dinner-time shutdown for 90-minutes. Beautiful frozen waterfalls in the darkening skies could only be glimpsed at due to the timing (plus I was smart enough to not take her camera, which would've been banged up along the cliffside walkways.

-B-
OP Offline
Francine, I so agree with you -- Beetle makes a difference whether it is in Germany or here in the forums. I am surprised to hear there was little snow over there.

Beetle, you make me want to go over to visit those areas. Seems like you had a great time. Mrs. B. must be thrilled with all the pics she took. What a great album and memories that is going to make!

Ahh, yes, the Flammkuchen -- did you find any? You should have rang up Francine to whip up some for you and Mrs. B.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
In every city we hoteled at, the facility was in the older, historical sector - Altstadt (Gr=Old Town) - with the narrow cobble streets.

The B&B hotel in Innsbruck (Hotel Wei�es Kreuz) was so old that the stairways were very worn & slightly sloped. This, in conjunction with the three fr�hst�ck (breakfast) stuben (rooms) really started out the adventure into the Tyrolian/Bavarian/Alpian culture.

Ein Prosit...

-B-
OP Offline
Awesome!

When my brother and sister went to Ireland, they did the same for hotels - chose all the historical ones, even a castle for three nights. My brother locked himself out of the castle one night and had to ring the bell, which echoed throughout the whole castle and woke everyone up! When he was let in, he was surprised to see that the ancient door opened outwards, not in. So - actually he was not locked out, he was just trying to push the door in rather than pull it out. He said it was quite spooky standing outside by himself late at night. We still laugh often about that story. The Doyle family name in ancient Ireland was not very welcomed because they were Viking invaders viking -- so, little brother only renewed the ancient feelings about the Doyles. laugh

Last edited by Phyllis Doyle; 12/09/11 02:37 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Tiger
Tiger
Beetle, you have to play "catch up" I am now TOP DOG & Rosie right behind me - I was wondering what was going on and finally asked - glad they told me - thought you had left the forum.

Next time, tell sis you leaving = she is getting too OLD to be worrying(lol).

On the serious side, glad you back and thanks for the chuckle in the "unemployment" forum - you are a mess!!! easter

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 12/10/11 11:40 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

What is a 'Top Dog' in this particular context Angela? Would be interested in knowing, we Europeans.......always curious I am afraid.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.