Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#674446 04/01/11 11:28 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I just read an article in a magazine about teens and make up. It that warned that "scientists have proven a definite link between some chemicals used in cosmetics and cancer, hormone disruption, early puberty and a host of other effects." It also said that allowing adolescents to wear them can be especially bad because their bodys are growing and there can be an interaction between the hormones and chemicals.

Is this true? If so, do you know which chemicals to avoid? Do adults need to avoid these chemicals too?

I have let my daughter (around 4) put on blush at home for fun. It never occurred to me that it may cause a problem.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
Hi Susan smile

I can't say I have heard of this study. However, whenever I read a study as the one you mention I look at who it is coming from, how they performed researched, etc. to check for bias or reliability.

Most of my friends as well as myself have been wearing makeup since sixth or seventh grade and as far as I know, have never been diagnosed with cancer from makeup. There are hundreds of studies trying to correlate two variables that could be exmplained by other means...for example, our air quality is not the best. So due to a combination of environmental factors, perhaps teens are having issues with puberty and cancer but I wouldn't think is it just makeup acting as a cause.

There are some chemicals to avoid. Gather Inc. has a list of chemicals you would want to avoid in your makeup that could be toxic. A website that may be of interest to you is the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics: there is great information!

Thanks for the comment! smile

Last edited by Kim - Cosmetics; 04/13/11 06:16 AM.

Kim Ringler

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Thanks for your reply. It wasn't actually a study; it was just an article in a magazine written for parents. If it were a study I would be able to read the research methods and results sections and make some of my own conclusions. The author may have read some studies, but I cannot be sure. As far as I can remember, no specific studies were cited. To the best of my memory, the author simply stated science is finding more and more evidence.

I figured it was possible, but I was skeptical. That's why I wanted to see if you or anyone else had ever heard of this.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
Hi Susan!

I apologize for confusion; I had tried to dig up the study to see where the magazine got their information, because if there is a link people need to be educated on it. I tried researching again and didn't see anything, so I would not worry about that article.

The link to chemicals to avoid in your makeup in my first post surprised me a little so I will be more aware of the ingredients!

I'm sure your daughter is OK using your blush;just wait until she gets into the rest of your makeup and uses eyeliner to color in her brows...not that I ever did that either whistle

Kim Ringler

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I really appreciating you checking actual studies. I wouldn't even know where to go for them (and I'd probably only have understood a little bit of the research & results sections). And I appreciate the information about what to avoid. I'll have to check them out.

Yes, eyeliner and mascara are definitely not things I'd let her play with. Although when she gets to be a teen (or maybe preteen) she will probably start trying to wear it whether I let her or not.

What about eye shadow and lip stick? Do you see anything wrong with her playing with them?

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
O, my god.
This topic is somewhat heavy for me, because i'm preparing for pregnancy.

Sexy Lingerie
Love waits for one thing, the right moment.
V
V
This is such an informative post. I was really not aware about all these. thanks for the post on cosmetics safety.

Last edited by vibhasharma; 08/10/11 04:36 AM.
R
R
Great. Is there anything we use that doesn't cause cancer? Not to be a downer, but everyday there is always some new article about cancer being linked to a product. I remember reading how deodorant has aluminum in it and that causes cancer. Enough already!

Serious problems from makeup and other cosmetics are rare. But sometimes problems can happen. The most common injury from cosmetics is from scratching the eye with a mascara wand. Eye infections can result if the scratches go untreated. These infections can lead to ulcers on the cornea even blindness. To play it safe, never try to apply mascara while riding in a car, bus, train, or plane.

H
H
Really useful and great information. Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.