Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
November can be a crazy, busy month, with so much to do before the Holidays. But hopefully we can take some time to learn, share, and experience something "Indian" this month, other than the pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. There is so much in our Country that we think of as American, but more precisely, it's Native American. Foods, local phrases and names, are a few.

This week's article is on how November came to finally be the time of recognition for all the influence and contributions the First Americans continue to share with the United States.

November is Native American Heritage Month

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 11/02/11 06:42 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Several departments of the Federal Government issue a poster for American Indian Heritage Month. I've been given a few of them over the years. This one from 1998 is my favorite and was gifted to me by a former client. It was hung across from my desk so I could enjoy it.

I was hoping to find this one on-line, as the photo doesn't show the detail. No luck with that or finding information on the artisit R. Kemp. But I did find a few of the more recent posters at these links

USGS - National Native American Heritage Month Posters

The Diversity Store has several available for purchase, but they don't appear to have the year on them.

American Indian Heritage Month Posters

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
my daughters' school has a native american day in november. the whole month, they learn about four different cultures in each of the corners of the united states. they have a shoebox diorama to complete for their social studies grade that week. then they do a day where they taste authentic foods and do crafts. when i asked my daughter what they ate, she said rice and pumpkin pie! of course, the person who was trying to organize what foods to bring left a message on my voice mail-that i received too late to cook anything-to bring rice, corn bread, pumpkin pie, and turkey. what happened to learning the culture? that sounds like an asian-infused thanksgiving dinner, with a side of french pastry. (pumpkins are so american, but the traditional pumpkin pie that we all eat is not so much native as it is mixing of cultures) so, i am hoping to bring something to her classroom to sample as well as some crafts my oldest daughter has done with her grandfather. she has a beautiful dream catcher, a drum and stick set, and several pieces of jewelry and hair pieces they have made together. i am trying to find a couple of simple recipes, something easily portable and easy to make. and, of course, because some of the children might not be allowed to eat certain things, we have to keep the food list to what is available at the grocery store. (no deer, acorn, etc) hm...i wonder if a native american "class" is just the kind of project my little brownies and daisies would be interested in...

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I had no idea about the significance of this month and I live in Alabama! You'd think they would've mentioned it all over the place.

"I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains."
Anne Frank

Rayna
Depression Site

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.