You may remember hearing about several people dying as a result of participating in a sweat lodge back in 2009. James Arthur Ray, the leader of that lodge was sentenced to 2 years for negligence in 3 deaths today.

This headline is very frustrating, as it can be very misleading. Firstly, I don't know Mr Ray's heritage, and wonder why a Sweat Lodge was included at this retreat. Secondly, there were WAY TOO MANY people in this Sweat for adequate attention and supervision.

Participating in a Sweat is not to be done on a whim. It requires physical stamina with the correct mind and heart. If it is done in the correct manner, for the correct reasons, and by the correct people, it will be a wonderful experience, followed up by those to help you interpret and understand it.

I look forward to when I can have this experience, and have been preparing myself both physically and emotionally. My heart goes out to each of the families affected by this tragedy. If you participate in a Sweat, please ensure that you are prepared and that you will have an experienced and trustworthy person to assist during and after the experience.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia