The music and the musical instruments of the Appalachian Mountain folks is one of the endearing qualities that draw people to their way of life.

The mountain dulcimer and the autoharp are just two of the instruments that are loved by the folk of the mountains. The music the folks play is from their heart and soul, stories of their way of life. It is lovely and so very touching.

I have played both of these instruments, as well as the banjo, mandolin, and guitar. I no longer have these lovely instruments, I gave them to my son many years ago. Yet I still recall and hold the feeling that these instruments impart to me. When playing the autoharp it is held close to the chest, as if one is holding a baby. The music then goes straight to the heart and is felt in the soul. This was my favorite one to play. I love my autoharp and may bring it back home for I miss it.

My father often played the banjo and would bring forth the music of these people who have their unique way of life that is born of love for Nature and each other.

Has anyone else ever played one of these instruments or listened to the folk music of the Appalachians?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain